15 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2017 7:50 AM by KKen RSS

Sling M2 P2 error

KKen Newbie
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I have a new M2 and a older Pro.  Both are connected to the same cable box.

I had a problem  while at a Dunkin Donut trying to watch my new M2.    Using the WiFi from DD I tried connecting to the M2.

I received  a P2 error code.  This is with using the Slingplayer Desktop software on my Laptop.

I next tried connecting to my older Pro box using the older slingplayer software.  No problems connected perfectly.

I tried connecting with my android cell phone and had no problems connecting to M2 or my older Pro. 

I also have been able to connect via the slingplayer app for FireTV/stick at a friends house

to the M2 in the highest Def mode without a problem

What I would like to know is why can't I connect at this DD to my M2 but I can with my older Pro?

Thanks,

Ken

• Re: Sling M2 P2 error
          ms.T Novice

Well... you can't stream on the Slingplayer for Desktop for your M2. So maybe you're referring to the Slingplayer app downloaded through the Windows store?

KKen Newbie

Maybe I am confused.  I downloaded Slingplayer Desktop.  I use this to watch my M2 on my Windows laptop.The ICON on my computer for it is labeled "Slingplayer Desktop".   On the download page for slingbox it was in the area where appsare located except this is for Windows.The software I use for my older Pro is a windows program called "Slingplayer" as stated on its ICON onmy desktop. Getting back to my question,   why would the old Windows Slingplayer software work perfectly at this DDbut the Slingplayer Desktop for the viewing the M2 not work at this DD? Ken

ms.T Novice

The new version of SPD no longer allows you to stream. It's solely for setup and reconfiguration. The older version of SPD you can still stream on, as they are no longer updating that one for the older models of Slingbox.

You can only stream with newwatch.slingbox.com, and the Slingplayer app downloaded directly through the Windows store on a computer. I believe the app is only available on Windows 8 and 10 computers. This is for the newer slingbox models. Then of course the apps available on mobile devices.

KKen Newbie

The version of slingplayer desktop was downloaded about a 4 or 5 days ago.When I choose WATCH it does then open a web browser for viewing butit happend automatically. setting that aside, I still would like to know why it didn't work at the DDbut works so far everywhere else.  Yet my older slingplayer programfor the old slingbox Pro worked perfectly. Ken

ms.T Novice

P-2 There's been an error with the configuration process.

That's what I was able to find based on the error message you received. However, you did get that error on the new Slingplayer for Desktop I believe. Since you were not at the location of the Slingbox, it makes sense that it might give you that error in a public wifi like DD. Especially since the new app is NOT for streaming.

Slingplayer for Desktop will always redirect you to stream on the website. The Watch button basically opens the browser for you and automatically connects to the last Slingbox that was streamed from. That's about as much info I can provide. Hope that clarified it a bit for you.

alanrichey42 Master
                              Slingplayer for Desktop will always redirect you to stream on the website.

Not for the M2, you can stream from an M1 & M2 with the Desktop Player.   It is the older boxes that get redirected.

KKen Newbie

I did an experiment today.  Back at the DD I tried the older Pro with theolder slingplayer software and it worked 100%. Next I tried the latest Slingplayer Desktop that brings up the web link andgot the P2 error. I followed by settting my cell phone up to tether on WiFi and connected to it with my laptop.I was able to use the latest Slingplayer Desktop that brings up the web browserand it worked perfectly by tethering (WiFi Hotspot) to my cell phone. Can anyone answer why the latest Slingplayer Desktop (brings up web browser)does not work at a DD.  I have proven it does not have to be in my home on the samenetwork from the tethering experiment. This to me is a major problem since it limits me not being able to watchmy M2 slingbox with my laptop while away from home. Thanks,Ken

KKen Newbie

The link you supplied offers another link to watch a slingbox. The readings their claim its suppose to work with older slingbox.Did not work for Pro.  This is the same link the Slingplayer Desktop bringsup which I know does not work at the Dunkin Donut.I also tried a different Dunkin Donut with still no go yet my olderslingplayer software with my Pro work perfectly.  This seems to be a step backward with allowing one to watch their slingplayerfrom any WiFi location. Are their any other viewing programs out their that work better likethe old slingplayer software?

ms.T Novice

I hate to sound like a broken record, but unless someone else is able to stream with the M2 on the new Slingplayer for desktop, the app is only meant to setup and reconfigure. So no, you won't be able to stream on the Slingplayer for Desktop. If you click on Connect in the Directory, it will redirect you to Watch. If you click on the Watch button, it will STILL redirect you to Watch.

The exception for now might be the M1. For my M1 I can stream and reconfigure on Slingplayer for Desktop. I can also stream on Watch.

Read the article?

Watch your TV via the web, configure your Slingbox with a computer

ms.T Novice

I have both the M1 and the M2. Unless I have a glitch on the new version of Slingplayer for Desktop, I can ONLY stream on the M1. I get redirected to Watch on the Slingplayer for Desktop for the M2.

So despite the article saying to stream on Watch for the below Slingbox models as of the new update to Slingplayer for Desktop, I can still stream with my M1, but not the M2:

• Slingbox M2
                                        • Slingbox M1
                                        • Slingbox 500
                                        • Slingbox 350
                                        • Slingbox PRO-HD*
                                        • Slingbox SOLO*
                                        • Slingbox PRO*
                                        • Slingbox AV*
                                        • Slingbox “Classic” (original silver Slingbox)*
                                            KKen Newbie

I can only say when I click the Slingplayer Desktop I get the option to watchmy slingplayer.  When I click it I get another browser that opens andfrom there I get my full size Remote on the right side to change channels. This works at home and so far it also works when tethering from my cell phone.I cannot get it to work at a DD I go to yet my older slingbox Pro and itsolder slingplayer software work perfectly. Is there a way I can post the screen I am referring too so you can seewhat I am describing.   I hate to go around around in circles too however the player I am using works for my new M2  Ken

orr.b.sh

I have the same problem with my m2, does not work with the wifi, from what i've seen, only in one place, maybe problem with the specific i.p.?

I've tried the hard reset, which did not help.

If you've found a solution?

KKen Newbie

My M2 is connected via a Ethernet cable. The only problem I am having now with it is for some reasonI can't connect at a WiFi hotspot and in this issue its been with a Dunkin Donut.I have not tried other WiF hotspots yet but it should be irrelevant.What I can't figure out is if I tether off my cell phone it works regardless ofmy location.  Which means it does work outside my home networkand since I am using WiFi to tether to my laptop WiFi is not the issue. What disturbs me even more is my old slingbox Pro and the old slingplayersoftware works perfectly anywhere I have a WiFi connect.  I find the old slingplayer software more reliable and much easier to use andconnect.   I am a bit mystified how the new web player software that is broughtup when I click WATCH when using the latest Slingplayer Desktop so calledApp for Windows works.  If I had my choice I would like to use the olderslingplayer software with my new M2 however when I try this it ask for a passwordwhich I don't have and never created like the old slingplayer pro lets you choose. I am hoping someone will know of a more direct connection to my M2 avoiding theneed of the web player that the M2 uses. Ken

KKen Newbie

P2 error,  what I find if there is a connection issue it has to be only withthe Desktop Player that redirects to the web browser.  I can connect tothe M2 with my cell phone. The old slingplayer software on my old Pro slingbox works perfectlywith the older slingplayer at this DD and my old Pro also works anywherewith my cell. Something must be not working with the web browser software.  I will haveto try the new Slingplayer Desktop/web browser at another location todetermine if it works  at other locations.  Maybe I will try tethering off my cellphone to my laptop to confirm the Desktop Player/web browser can workoutside my home. Ken