5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2011 6:11 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

comcast remote

anthoneyc

i just hooked up my slingbox hd to my comcast explorer 8300HD cable box (scientific atlanta )  I can't get the remote to work.  the volume and mute work though.  The weird thing is when i use the remote on my laptop the tv at home shows all those changes, but the slingbox on my laptop is stuck on one channel.  When I turn the cable box off at home the one station still runs on my laptop.  any help?

Thanks

Anthoney

• Re: comcast remote
          alanrichey42 Master

Ignore the Volume and Mute, they are 'hijacked' by Slingplayer to control itself and are never sent to the device.

How EXACTLY to you have the 8300 the SLingbox and the TV wired up ?

anthoneyc

with the rca cables.  the remote on the sling box screen works my 6' tv at home perfectly.  the darn sling box is stuck on channel 3 ( the default channnel for the tv to use the cable box.

alanrichey42 Master

We obviously have a different defintion of the word 'EXACTLY'

Please try again but this time I need EVERY single detail.

anthoneyc

it's wired exactly like the user manual says.  rca cables to the (out) on comcast box and sling hd (in) same goes for the audio cables.  that's not the issue ( i believe ).   The darn sling box is stuck on channel 3  when the sling box is set up in the coax setting and i choose the correct items.  cable box, comcast, exlplorer 8300hd.  the correct remote shows up and it works on my laptop in the sling program online,  Strange thing is it does everything correctly on my tv at home just like i was holding the real remote, but nothing in the sling program on my laptop works - it stays on channel 3,  BUT  i also set it up by accident originally in the component setting and if i choose exactly the same things, cable box, comcast, explorer 8300hd the darn remotes works everywhere, but no sound on my laptop.  does this help?

alanrichey42 Master
                          it's wired exactly like the user manual says.  rca cables to the (out) on comcast box and sling hd (in) same goes for the audio cables.  that's not the issue ( i believe ).   The darn sling box is stuck on channel 3  when the sling box is set up in the coax setting and i choose the correct items.  cable box, comcast, exlplorer 8300hd.  the correct remote shows up and it works on my laptop in the sling program online,  Strange thing is it does everything correctly on my tv at home just like i was holding the real remote, but nothing in the sling program on my laptop works - it stays on channel 3,  BUT  i also set it up by accident originally in the component setting and if i choose exactly the same things, cable box, comcast, explorer 8300hd the darn remotes works everywhere, but no sound on my laptop.  does this help?

For crying out loud, why won't you just tell me how you have it wired up !!!!!!!!!!!   But I refuse to give up on you, this is quite a challenge, helping someone who refuses to answer questions , so I will have to just make some guesses instead.

I have to assume that you have an analog TV being driven from the coax output of the 8300, or from the coax pass through on the Slingbox.   Alternatively via an HDMI output from the 8300HD.  Probably the former ?

And when you say 'rca', I don't know if you mean composite (yellow, red, white) or component (green,orange, blue?)  for the video and red/white for the audio).  

Now, the cable from your wall is carrying all your channels but encrypted, and goes into the 8300HD.   Now, the 8300 will de-encrypt the stream and it will output the selected channel on analog CH3 from the coax output to drive an analog TV, and an analog composite video stream for the correct channel on the yellow wire and a digital component video stream on the blue/orange/green outputs and an analog sound on the red/white outputs.

Now I am guessing you have wired a coax cable from the 8300 to the Slingbox.   And not surprisingly, when you select the coax input all you get is the CH3 signal regardless of the channel selected.

As you haven't told me how you have it connected I will have to tell you how I think it should be connected.   Use the Yellow/Red/White cables from the OUT of the 8300 to the IN of the Slingbox.   Now go into the Video Setup routine, select the Composite input and do Cable > Comcast > Explorer 8300HD. 

Does that make it work ?