5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2011 3:53 AM by rpmiles RSS

red network light won't light up

rpmiles Newbie

I have tried to hit reset button, reboot my router, pull the power cord, tried a different wireless adapter, all multiple times. The power light is solid so it appears the ac adapter is working and when I hit reset the large red slingbox icon lights up then disappears, but I cannot watch content, either locally on my home PC or on the internet. When I open the slingbox software on my PC in my house the Pro-HD slingbox is listed along with my other two slingboxes. However, the other two say "available" and I can use them, but the Pro-HD says""Internet Access" and will not connect. I am getting very frustrated, and hate callingtech support and getting charged for this if it is a known issue

• Re: red network light won't light up
          chakkarinen Apprentice

When you log in to your router, does the Slingbox Pro HD show up on its list of connected devices?   Any conflictts with the local IP address listed for it?  Have you given it a static IP address and have your forwarded port 5001 on the router to that static IP address?

rpmiles Newbie

the very first item listed in the router has a mac address with an age of 2862 days and "error" under ip address and host name. other devices connected look normal. How do I get the mac address for this specific slingbox to see if it is listed? I haven't given this slingbox a static ip to the best of my knowledge, I use DHCP

as far as messing with port forwarding, this slingbox had worked for months until the other day and I have not touched my router settings

chakkarinen Apprentice

The MAC address for your Slingbox is printed on the shipping box it came in.   It also should be printed on a sticker on the bottom of the slingbox.

It is possible that the IP address assigned to your slingbox dynamically by your router has since changed.   I find devices on my network have this happen whenever my router (or my ISP) goes down for more than a few seconds, due to power outages or other problems at the ISP.   If either IP address (LAN IP assigned to your Slingbox by your router, or the WAN IP address assigned to your cable modem by your ISP) has changed, then pressing the RESET button on the back of the Slingbox SHOULD command it to go out to the Slingbox directory on the Internet and refresh its WAN and LAN addresses.   Assigning a static IP address to the Slingbox should eliminate half that problem, at least.   And programming your router to forward port 5001 to the static IP address you assign to your Slingbox is recommended by the Slingbox staff, to further insure communications for streaming.

chakkarinen Apprentice

... and since you have THREE slingboxes connected to the same network router, I would think it wise to assign a static IP address to each of them, and forward, for example, port 5001 to one, port 5002, to the second, and port 5003 to the third.   Then, hopefully, power-cycling (unplugging the electricity) from the router and all three slingboxes for a minute, then plugging the router back in, then one slingbox (and waiting until its lights stabilize), then the second (and wait again), and finally the third  MIGHT solve the problem so that all three are online and streaming correctly.

I suppose that streaming all 3 slingboxes simultaneously might require more upload bandwidth than your ISP can deliver -- else the video might stutter or freeze on the viewing ends from client PCs OUTSIDE your local router network -- that would be a trial-and-error, I suppose.