5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2012 6:08 PM by jrpeterson5 RSS

Slingbox.com quits after connection made

jrpeterson5

Hello.  This is my first post on Slingbox.com as I've never had troubles until today.

I've been succussfully streaming to my SlingPlayer from home (over the internet) to work since last summer.  This was on a Windows 7 Pro machine.

Today, I installed SlingPlayer and tried Slingbox.com on a different Windows PC at work - It's running Windows XP Pro.  I can not get the SlingPlayer OR Slingbox.com to work on the XP Pro PC - they both just quit unexpectedly as soon as they make the connection to my Slingbox Pro.  If I try it on the Windows 7 Pro PC, I have no problems and it's on the exact same network.

Any ideas how I can make Slingbox.com and SlingPlayer work on my Windows XP Pro (SP3) PC??  The firewall is turned off in Windows.  It's so confusing because they are both on the same identical work network.  Please help!!  

• Re: Slingbox.com quits after connection made
          Apprentice

Hi jrpeterson5,

If you only have this issue using one computer (Windows XP Pro), probably the issue is not with the Windows Firewall, it could be a conflict with the antivirus installed in your machine, have a look at this link,

Some Internet security and personal firewall software may interfere with your Slingbox, SlingPlayer or Setup Assistant

Let us know how that works

Regards

jrpeterson5

Thanks for the recommendation.  I actually reinstalled Windows XP Pro....Windows Firewall disabled and no antivirius or 3rd party firewalls installed.  It would still do the same thing - stream for about 10 seconds then completely stop.  On the same exact network it's no problem on a Windows 7 Pro machine.  I ended up installing Windows 7 on the computer that was giving me trouble and Slingbox immediately worked (even with Windows Firewall and NOD32 antivirus installed).  So it's something with Windows XP Pro...I can tell you that much, beyond that I'm no help!

Thanks for your reply.

Apprentice

You're welcome Jrpeterson5, it's very difficult to say what the issue is since it's working on the same computer but with a different operating system. Did you check the minimum requirements for the Slingbox PRO-HD? The SlingPlayer for Windows should work normally on a XP (SP3) computer. The web based using Slingbox.com will not work on a XP PC

ata757pilot

I've been having the same problems recently with my Windows XP.  It used to work fine and now all of a sudden it stops playing after between 10 secs to a min.  I have been dealing with slingbox tech support for several days as well as Netgear (my wireless router), AT&T (my ISP), and Panda Security (my antivirus).  No one can help.  Slingbox tech support got the closest and it seemed like it was fixed after they made a bunch of changes on my computer, but 2 days later, same problem.  I did find something on Slingbox.com that says the slingbox is not supported by Windows XP, only Vista and 7.  So I'm not sure if that is the issue as you say yours works with the Windows 7.  I'll post again if I ever get it resolved.  Nice to know I'm not the only one with this issue.

jrpeterson5

Hi ata757pilot.

Sorry to hear you are having this issue too.  I spend at least 3, if not more, hours with Slingbox trying to fix the issue.  Never once did they tell me it could be Windox XP.  I ended up throwing in the towel and starting fresh with Windows 7 Pro.....it worked perfectly.  I had to make not a single change to my network (unlike all the changes SlingBox tech support said I had to make to get it working).  Everything has worked perfectly since.  I did go back to that PC (hard drive swap) a few months later and tried again and had the same issue - kicked out within about 8 seconds.

It's really frustrating that it just totally stopped working on Windows XP.  I had to redo the system to basically get Slingbox back as everything else was working perfectly.  And it didn't work in a web browser on XP either.

Oh well.  Just wanted to let you know that's how my case was solved.  I hope you can get it working on XP!!  Let me know if you do!