7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2011 5:12 AM by arneolav RSS

How to start the SlingBox HD-pro after power cut

arneolav Newbie

My idea is to connect the SlingBox when I am out of the house, but now and then the power might drop out.

I did a test to simulate power cut, the routers started (I 'am using two in sequence) but the Slingbox won't answer;

The power light and network light is on but it seems impossible to connect to the Slingbox.

I did not check out but I assume I got new IP adress on the router, as normally do after power drop out.

Do I need an UPS to secure the power?

• Re: How to start the SlingBox HD-pro after power cut
          arneolav Newbie

The day after the SlingBox "wake up", may be after a reset/new startup of the PC.

chakkarinen Apprentice

If the power failure is rather short in duration (a few hours or less?), your ISP may well provide your router with the same WAN IP address that it had before.   BUT, your router may be assigning a new LAN IP address to your Slingbox.   If this happens, then you may well have to press the reset button on your Slingbox to get it to communicate it

chakkarinen Apprentice

If the power outage is not too long (less than a few hours), then your ISP may assign the same WAN IP address to your router.   But, your router might very well assign a new LAN IP address to your Slingbox, especially if you previously had other devices connected to the router.   If you program your router to assign a static IP address to the Slingbox, then the LAN IP address of the Slingbox will remain constant.   And you would only need to push the reset button on the Slingbox -- to get it to restablish communications with the Slingbox directory -- IF the power outage was long enough for your ISP to assign a new and different WAN IP address to your router.

arneolav Newbie

Thanx!

That means, when I am out of town and a power failur happends at home....

I will have to reset the SlingBox....at home, but I will be too far away... so it seems I need an UPS...

New IP adress may occur at any powerfailur.

BrandonC Novice

If you set a static LAN IP address to your Slingbox and manually configure the address and port in the setup program it shouldn't lose the IP address on a power failure.

Once back up the Slingbox will connect to Sling Servers and tell them where it is located on the WAN/Internet. That way if your WAN address changes you don't lose remote access.  When you start a remote stream the Slingplayer asks the Sling Server where your Slingbox is and connects using that address.

arneolav Newbie

Then I understand how it works;

In the test i did it took some hours until the Slingbox was found on the net again but that's not critical.

Thank's for your help.

arneolav Newbie

I have done som more testing of power cut .

In my installation the SlingBox do not reconnect by itself after a normal power up (after cut off of the wall-power).

After a new power off/on, this time only on the Slingbox, the connection is done as normal.

This might be because of the fibernet router, Thomson TG789ivn, it is very slow on reconnecting the net (10-30 min. or more)

OR: The Slingbox do not retry connection for a period long enough.

After a number of testing the result seems to be the same every time, after a powercut of more than an hour just to get a new IP adress.

Is there some setup in the Slingbox to do retry in a longer period, or never give up reconnecting?