7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2011 8:37 AM by dispencer Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Sling stream routing

dispencer Novice

I use a Slingcatcher to watch the stream from a Slingbox Classic.  For two years everything worked perfectly, but for the last couple of weeks the stream has started to freeze for a few seconds, sometimes longer, about every ten minutes or so.  I am trying to troubleshoot this problem.  There have been no changes to hardware, software or ISPs.  Firmware on the Catcher and Classic is current.  The problem also occures when watching on Slingplayer (PC and Mac). I realise there can be many reasons for this problem, not least the many hops the signal makes over the Internet.

My question: is the stream routed via Sling servers or does it travel directly (with hops, of course) from the Slingbox location (Europe) to the viewing location (also Europe)?

• Re: Sling stream routing
          Apprentice

Hi, dispencer

I understand that you are having some issues with the Slingbox Classic and SlingCatcher connection.

Most of the times, this issue is related to the connection speed you get. You can go to www.speedtest.net in order to know if your connection speed meets the requirement. As a second option, you can reset the Slingbox and run the Setup Assistant for Internet Viewing one more time.

How to reset your Slingbox to factory settings

Regarding your question, the signal is streamed through the Sling Media servers when you use your Slingbox.

Make sure to follow these recommendations and post your results.

Regards

dispencer Novice

Thanks for your response, Rana

Streaming speed is not the problem.  My download speed at the Slingcatcher end is around 50 Mbps and upload speed about the same at the Slingbox end.  When watching the Slingcatcher, or the PC, or the Mac, the reported stream is usually between 1200 and 2300 Kbps.  So, as I said, the connection speed is not the problem.

The Slingbox has been reset but the symptoms persist, so the Slingbox does not appear to be the problem.

Any other suggestions?

reznacz Newbie

I really don't think the stream goes through Sling media servers. That simply doesn't make any sense. You only locate the Slingbox via Sling media (through the finder ID), but the streaming is DIRECT.

Bryanod Novice

The stream is direct the sling media servers only locate your device.  If the rate remains constant then the issue must be The viewing pc.  Check your resources.  Is there more programs running using more memory causing the video to page to the hard drive?  Does the hd light come on when the freeze happens?  If you can post a screen shot of the streaming stats.

check this post

https://community.sling.com/thread/3290