8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2011 6:50 PM by chakkarinen RSS

Slingbox Pro HD, no audio, power light off, will not reset

unclethursday

So, I've been using this slingbox pro HD for about two years now, but within the past week it has been giving me problems.

The power light is off, but the network light and sling curved lights (the ones that blink when using the player app) are on.

Video is passing through just fine, no audio is coming through. All connections are exactly the same as they were when it worked when I last used it a few weeks ago.

Obviously, the Slingbox Pro HD is getting power, then.

Neither the Slingplayer app or the web player will access the Slingbox Pro HD.

I have tried using the reset button many times, to no avail. I have also tried unplugging it for minutes at a time to see if that helps, also to no avail.

So, I guess the big question is, is this a fixable problem?

* Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. *

• Re: Slingbox Pro HD, no audio, power light off, will not reset
          unclethursday

Well, I guess I can assume from the lack of any response that no one knows if this is a fixable problem. As such, I will just assume the unit is bricked.

Apprentice

Hi unclethursday, if your Slingbox has no network light I suggest you follow this troubleshooting and if this troubleshooting doesn't work you may consider contact our phone support for further assistance.

The Network light on your Slingbox is off

Regards.

unclethursday

*sigh* Here, let me put this in a nice, easy to read format, since it seems people don't know what I mean in my original post.

POWER LIGHT: OFF but unit is getting power ad will pass video, but not audio through.

NETWORK LIGHT: ON but will not be found by the SlingPlayer app or web player.

SLING LOGO LIGHTS: ON and steady

Using the hardware reset button for 5 seconds does NOTHING.

Using the hardware reset switch for 30 seconds does NOTHING.

Not to sound like a complete ****, but please actually read what has been written before giving a canned response and assuming I don't know the difference between the international symbol for power and instead meant my network light was not working.

chakkarinen Apprentice

With the power light off, but the network light on and steady, and the Slingbox logo light on AND STEADY (a condition that I have never experienced myself before on any of my slingboxes), my first GUESS is that  the power supply is faulty.  Yes, it is delivering some electricity, but possibly not the correct voltage or sufficient amperage?   And, if voltage and amperage are wrong, has the condition irreparably damaged the circuits of the Slingbox?

I don't know.   But I would first consider unplugging the power to the slingbox and disconnecting all cables (including internet and tv) from the slingbox, then plugging back in the power only, and see if the lights change.   And if not, try the short reset, and then the long reset (still without plugging in all other cables) to see if the lights change.  If the lights still don't change, then repeat these tests with another power supply (if available).   And if the lights STILL don't change, then my GUESS would be that the slingbox is bricked.

Good luck.

unclethursday

After reading other posts about faulty power supplies, I was beginning to think this might be the issue, as well. Unfortunately, I don't have another power supply to test with... nor do I think I will be getting one to test with.

I only used my Slingbox Pro HD to send video game footage to my computer to record for game reviews. I only watch 2 shows on TV, and thus have no need for the unit as something to send TV shows to me wherever I am.  So, I think I am just going to move over to the Happague HDPVR for the recording of game footage (which also has the added benefit of a hardware h.264 encoder to save time for me).

Still, it kind of amazes me how many posts there are, here and other places online, about faulty power supplies on Slingboxes. You'd think there would have been a recall or something with how many people end up with bad power supplies.

chakkarinen Apprentice

Since port 5001 is used not only by slingbox but also by other applications, such as Yahoo Instant Messanger, and even some viruses, I wonder if your port 5001 may have been "hijacked" by some other program and sent some data or commands to your slingbox that corrupted it.

If so, then it could well be bricked.    But before giving up completely, I would try to program your router to assign a static IP address to the Slingbox's MAC address, then program your router to forward port 5001 (or another port, such as 5002?) to that static IP address, then reboot the router and the Slingbox and, perhaps, push the reset button in for at least 10 seconds before releasing, to see if that supposed "hard reset" does anything to clear the faults.