7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2011 3:36 PM by jo1407man RSS

Ways to Smooth video playback?

bluefish

Hi - I am using a slingbox solo (s-video input) with the sling player mobile on the iPad 2. My connection is a 8mb download speed which works well with all my other streaming apps.

The problem I have is that the picture is jittery! I dont mean that the picture is freezing and buffering - more that the picture is not smooth. This makes watching sports very difficult of unwatchable.

I live in Ireland and am using a Sky HD box for input. Any ideas on how I can improve this?

• Re: Ways to Smooth video playback?
          Apprentice

Hi bluefish, I want to provide you with the requirements to use the Slingplayer for iPad, make sure that your internet connection in the iPad meets these requirements.

Slingplayer iPad Information and Requirements.

Regdars.

dbsguy Apprentice

It has more to do with the upload speed at the slingbox location than anything else. Although you postd what your download speed is at the location, what is the ISP actually giving you in terms of upload?

you can go to www.speedtest.net and post the results here.....

bluefish

Thanks for the replies. I am only trying to get this usable on my wifi network (not in a different location). Didn't think my upload mattered on your home network.

Did the speediest and the download was just short of 7mb and the upload was around .65mb.

Any kind of panning in a movie or fast movement makes the picture juttery and not smooth (not freezing and buffering - just not smooth).

Thanks for the help.

dbsguy Apprentice

To clarify, ISP upload doesn't matter if your viewing on a computer or device from within your own network location .  Upload speed only pertains to remote viewing quality.

So to address your quality issue,:

1. Please describe your specific situation. Do you have a b, g or n wireless network/router. (brand and model).

2. What model of slingbox do you have?

3. Are you using the iphone/ipod app in compatibility mode, or are you using thehigher quality ipad specific app?

4. Are you in sd or HQ quality mode when runing the app I refered to in # 3 above? HQ (high quality mode) gives much better results in terms of resolution and fluidity.

Bryanod Novice

In order to stream smooth on wireless you need a clean wireless signal.  When you stream hulu or netflix its video is sent in UDP packets.  When you sling its TCP.  UDP traffic is fast because it does not care if the traffic arrives or not.  With TCP every packet of traffic sent must be received or it is asked to resend.  TCP has priority over udp traffic and negotiates bandwidth of the sender.  If your wireless is not reliable it will slow down the traffic.

Ping your wireless ipad2 while slinging to it and look for ping times to be consistant. 

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 192.168.15.11 -t -l 1500
                      Pinging 192.168.15.11 with 1500 bytes of data:
                      Reply from 192.168.15.11: bytes=1500 time=5ms TTL=128

Reply from 192.168.15.11: bytes=1500 time=4ms TTL=128

Reply from 192.168.15.11: bytes=1500 time=18ms TTL=128

Reply from 192.168.15.11: bytes=1500 time=6ms TTL=128

Reply from 192.168.15.11: bytes=1500 time=10ms TTL=128

Ping packets are neither tcp or udp.  We just are looking for high ping times or timeouts.

If you have high pings or timeouts download inssider from metageek.com

http://www.metageek.net/images/products/inSSIDer%202/inssider%202.png

This can show you other wireless networks near you.

Bryanod Novice

Actually forget all that. If I recall streaming to idevices requires the sling to send out to the internet then back to your lan.  Unless that has changed. .65mb is the most you can send.  When you max your upload TCP will slow your download   You should get better results using a neighbors wireless than your own

jo1407man

The Slingbox sends nothing out to the internet if you are on the same LAN. Test it yourself, launch slingbox on the iPAD and if you have DD_WRT on your router you will only see LAN traffic. Nothing on the WAN side at all. My LAN traffic averages around 1.5 Mbs for the iPAD and around 8 Mbs if I am watching on a PC