3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2011 4:32 PM by westom RSS

POWER SURGE FRIED THE SLING LINK

sgbarres

Had a power surge and cannot isolate where it came from... thought the surge protector did not protect the modem, router, etc.  The Sling Link was on a separate outlet (direct connect). Only thing that it shared was the connection to the router via Ethernet.  Everything dead and had to replace  modem, router and purchase a new set of sling links.

Any ideas why this happened, and how i can prevent it from happening again?  My system is less than a year old.

In addition, now I have connected the link to a separate outlet, but I needed to use an old fashion extension cord (nothing else on it).  Anyone see any issue with this (it is not a surge protector).

• Re: POWER SURGE FRIED THE SLING LINK
          Apprentice

Hi sgbarres, I am sorry to hear about the issue that you had, I want to provide you with the Slinglink User Guide so you can use it to set up the Slinglinks in the best way possible.

This troubleshooting will help you as well.

A guide to basic SlingLink and SlingLink TURBO troubleshooting

Regards.

sgbarres

Thanks for the User's Guide, but it had been set up correctly.  I went through the troubleshooting again, and the only interesting item in there for my situation is that it says the the Sling Link has its own protection against a surge.

We are still not certain what took the hit:  the modem or the router or both.  The only connection between any device and the sling link is that the ethernet cord from the router goes into the sling link.  Since the router fried, my assumption is that is how it infected the sling link, protection or no protection.

This is all very strange because the sling link did not even share the same outlet with the other equipment.

Any other suggestions, please let me know.  In addition, if the sling link is guaranteed, that would be helpful information for me to pursue.

Thanks.

Susan

westom

> Any ideas why this happened, and how i can prevent it from happening again?

What you have seen was well understood and easily prevented even 100 years ago.  An analysis starts by remembering how electricity works.  If current is incoming on one wire, then a same current must be outgoing, simultaneously, on some other wire.  If both incoming and outgoing path does not exist simultaneously, then no electricity - no surge.

A surge is a connection from cloud to earth.  To have surge damage means that current must be incoming from the cloud at the same time it is outgoing to earth.  Long after current is flowing through an appliance, then damage happens.  To understand why damage occurred means identifying every outgoing path to earth.

Did you know phone lines and cable TV already have effective surge protection?  Cable TV must connect to single point earth ground before it enters the building.  A wire from the cable to earth must exist (even required by code).  Telephone is required to make a same earthing connection via a 'whole house' protector.  Your investigation starts by you inspecting how each connects to earth.  Best protection means that earth connection is as short as possible (ie 'less than 10 feet').

Most exposed wires may be AC electric.  A lightning strike to wires down the street is a direct strike to every appliance inside a house.  That is the most common incoming current path.  Is every appliance damaged?  Again, the outgoing path to earth also must be identified.

What is a most common outgoing path to earth?  Via cable TV, satellite dish, or telephone appliances.  Everything sees the incoming surge.  Only selected appliances are chosen by a surge to be the destructive connection to earth. .  Surges do not 'hit' an appliance.  The appliance conducts lightning so long as to eventually fail.. If both an incoming and outgoing path are missing, then no surge current and no damage.

A modem might be a best connection to earth.  If a computer is on a plug-in protector, then protection inside the computer was bypassed.  A best connection might be through computer, through router, and through modem to earth.  Some or all could be damaged depending on how that current flowed through each. 

For over 100 years, these concepts were understood.  Effective protection was patented that long ago.  Protection means current and energy is not inside the building.  Any wire that enters must first connect to single point earth ground.  Already defined are protection on telephone and cable TV.  All AC electric wires also must connect to  that earth ground.  Otherwise your entire house has no protection other than superior protection inside appliances.

No protector does protection.  Not one. Nada.  Protectors only connect to something different - protection.  Otherwise a protector is ineffective - a profit center..  Protection (what should have most of your attention) is single point earth ground.  Up top, you inspected what the telco protector and cable TV connect to .  That would be a single point earth ground that must also connect short (ie ;less than 10 feet') to an AC  breaker box. 

Either surge energy dissipates harmlessly in earth.  Or that energy is inside hunting for earth destructively via appliances.  To connect every AC electric wire to earth ground (and still have electricity) means a 'whole house' protector.  Solution provided by more responsible companies such as Square D, Leviton, General Electric, Siemens, Intermatic, and ABB.  A Cutler-Hammer solution sells in Lowes and Home Depot for less than $50.  A solution even found 100 years ago when lightning could not cause damage.  A solution tens or 100 times cheaper than any plug-in protector.  That protector, BTW, does not even claim surge protection in its numeric specs.  As noted earlier, can sometimes make surge damage easier.

A minimal 'whole house' protector starts at 50,000 amps.  Why?  Because effective protection means even direct lightning strikes are harmlessly earthed.  A typical lighting strike is 20,000 amps.  Yes, protection is about making lightning and less surges irrelevant.  Even the protector remains functional.  Then superior protection already inside every appliance is not overwhelmed.  Then even plug-in protectors are protected.

Fundamental:  protection is always about where energy dissipates.  Always.  Concepts known by engineers even 100 years ago. But not found in urban myths, retails sales, hearsay, and advertising. Rarely understood by computer techs.  A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. 

Long because a 100 years old solution is probably completely new to you. If that new (and if like me), then you will not grasp it until maybe a third reread. Underlying science was originally introduced in elementary school science: Ben Franklin’s lightning rods. Protection is always about earthing.