6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2012 1:56 AM by spledger RSS

Virtual Remote For Buffalo DTV-H500R to Slingbox

rmsoucy@hotmail.com Newbie

Slingbox-Pro

I have a Slingbox Pro attached to a Buffalo DTV-H500R. Digital TV Tuner.

I have not been able to find a Virtual Remote that works for this combiniation.

I have tested the IR Blasters and both units are working properly.

I have also tried using both the on-line and PC standalone software....no luck so far.

Attempts at Slingbox Player on a PC.....

I have tried using the Buffalo 300 bin file on my Buffalo DTV-H500R Digital Television Recorder.

However the file appears to be empty as it only contains 1KB of data.

Also, the documentation appears to be confusing.

This ZIP file contains 2 BIN files. 

S2010_PL.bin and S2010_RV.bin

PC Version:
      -----------
      Put the two files into your C:\Program Files\Sling Media\Slingplayer\SBAV\ folder.

Now go into Slingplayer and run Setup Assistant and 'Configure Video Sources'. 
      Work through the screens Making sure you select 'Standalone DVR' as the device type (regardless of the type of your device).

This time use 'Other' as the Manufacturer and the Model and in the next screen scroll to the bottom of the Code numbers,
      select 'Custom' and then type C2010 (NOT C2010, the code is case-sensitive) in the newly appeared Custom Code window
      (or use the Alternative Code window in the MAC).  Then complete the setup as normal. 

The name of the files are S2010 however, the documentation refers to C2010?

When I try doing the set up as S2010 the Setup Assiatant loads, however it's an empty .bin file...so none of the buttons do anything.

Attempts at Slingbox on-line.....

I have several times tried using the slingbox.remote to build a virtual remote.

The Slingbox Remote software says it has trainned the Slingbox Pro to read the remote.

However, when I tried to use the remote none of the keys functioned.

I have also loaded the Buffalo PC-STB (Cable Box) files on line, but they also did not work.

Not channel changing, not even the on/off function works.

Conclussion.

Slingbox is interested in selling more boxes, but not very interested in supporting the need for Virtual Remotes.

Anybody got any ideas on where I might look for a better solution to the problem?

• Re: Virtual Remote For Buffalo DTV-H500R to Slingbox
          alanrichey42 Master

Looks like eferz used my Custom Remotes as a template but didn't proof read it well enough

I have tried using the Buffalo 300 bin file on my Buffalo DTV-H500R Digital Television Recorder.

However the file appears to be empty as it only contains 1KB of data.

That file is correct, and the instructions correctly refer to S2010, not C2010.   And it isn't empty, the BIN files are 159 bytes each which is exactly what I would expect.   So ignore the other types.  But assuming you did all the checks in the README file I guess the codes are wrong.

The only other Buffalo I have looked at is the 900 series and I note that it uses a slightly different code to the 300 so it would not surprise me if the 500 also used a slightly different code.   Unfortunately the 500 hasn't made it onto the Logitech database so I cannot load it onto my Harmony remote and learn the codes.  But it does recommend trying the 900 series, so I have attached a set of BIN files for you to try.   So follow the same set of instructions but using C2010 as the code.

I have several times tried using the slingbox.remote to build a virtual remote.

The Slingbox Remote software says it has trainned the Slingbox Pro to read the remote.

However, when I tried to use the remote none of the keys functioned.

Can you post the myRemote.ltz file here that you get when you use the Export Remote function.  I might be able to figure out the codes from that.

Al

spledger

Hello,

It looks as though I am in a similar situation. I have a Slingbox Solo hooked up to a Buffalo DVR-1C in Japan but have not been able to get the remote control to work. The remote control is BIHIN-No138 (same as aforementioned DTV-H500R) and is confirmed as supported by the Slingbox Japan site - http://www.slingbox.jp/support/remote/remotelist.html.

When I go to install it, however, it does not appear in the list. I am wondering if this is due to the fact that I have an older model Slingbox that is not currently available in Japan. I hope that if I am able to locate the appropriate bin file, my troubles will be gone.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

alanrichey42 Master

You are missing the instructions

This contains 2 BIN files.

C2010_PL.bin and C2010_RV.bin

(These instructions assume you have installed the standalone Slingplayer on your PC/MAC, as you cannot install Custom Remotes from the Web-based player.  If you do not have the program see http://support.slingbox.com/go/windows-download-desktop-us or http://support.slingbox.com/go/dl-mac-desktop)

PC Version:
                  -----------
                  Put the two BIN files into your C:\Program Files\Sling Media\Slingplayer\SBAV\ folder.  (C:\Program Files(x86)\Sling Media\Slingplayer\SBAV\ for WIN7)

Mac version:
                  ------------
                  Put the two files into your /Applications/SlingPlayer/Contents/Slingbox Setup Assistant/Contents/Resources/SBAV/ (Note that The Contents dirs won't show up unless you do a "Right-Click -> Show Package Contents" when navigating into an app's "Contents" directory.)

Now go into Slingplayer and run Setup Assistant and 'Configure Video Sources'.  Work through the screens Making sure you select 'Cable' as the device type (regardless of the type of your device).

This time use 'Other' as the Manufacturer and the Model and in the next screen scroll to the bottom of the Code numbers, select 'Custom' and then type C2010 (NOT c2010, the code is case-sensitive) in the newly appeared Custom Code window (or use the Alternative Code window in the MAC).  Then complete the setup as normal.  Note that some devices (Comcast DTA for example) do not support Power On/Off so will fail the power test.  Just ignore it and carry on.

If you have problems please do NOT just report back it 'doesn't work', that is totally useless for someone trying to understand what is going on.  So please report the following:

1.   Was there any error message after you typed in the Code and tapped the Power button ?

2.   Did you give the Power command plenty of time to react ?  (I have a DVR that takes about 6-8 seconds to power up/down)

3.   After completing the setup (regardless of whether the Power button worked) do any of the other buttons work ?

4.   Have you used a Digital Camera to confirm the IR Blaster is actually firing when you tap the Power button ?  (Watch the tip of the IR Blaster thorugh the viewfinder while you tap a button.  You should see a white (not red) flash)

5.   Have you experimented with the placement of the IR Blaster ?  On some devices this is critical so don't give up too quickly.

6.   Are you sure the device is working correctly using the real remote ?

7.   If nothing works check out http://betaremotes.slingbox.com where you might be able to build your own remote.

spledger
                      alanrichey42:

Thank you very much for the thorough and timely instructions. This is a great service that you provide to this community.

Unfortunately, it 'doesn't work'

I followed your instructions to place the files in the correct folder (thanks for the Mac OS lesson; I learned something new regarding the "Show Package Contents").

I stepped my way through screens and got the following:

0.5  on the Location of Your Slingbox screen after chosing "Japan", I received this warning "You have chosen to configure your Slingbox in a country that this model does not fully support."

1.   Was there any error message after you typed in the Code and tapped the Power button ?

No error message but nothing happened when tapping the Power button.

2.   Did you give the Power command plenty of time to react ?  (I have a DVR that takes about 6-8 seconds to power up/down)

Yes.

3.   After completing the setup (regardless of whether the Power button worked) do any of the other buttons work ?

No, the buttons did not work.

4.   Have you used a Digital Camera to confirm the IR Blaster is actually firing when you tap the Power button ?  (Watch the tip of the IR Blaster thorugh the viewfinder while you tap a button.  You should see a white (not red) flash)

Yes.

5.   Have you experimented with the placement of the IR Blaster ?  On some devices this is critical so don't give up too quickly.

Yes.

6.   Are you sure the device is working correctly using the real remote ?

Yes.

7.   If nothing works check out http://betaremotes.slingbox.com where you might be able to build your own remote.

I have not yet tried to build my own. I am on a Mac and currently this supports Windows.

Looking back at your original post--"But it does recommend trying the 900 series, so I have attached a set of BIN files for you to try. So follow the same set of instructions but using C2010 as the code"--could it be that the C2010 BIN files are not quite the correct ones for the Buffalo DVR-1C?

Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

-Scott