5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2017 9:54 AM by Rich05UK RSS

Pro-HD Dead?

ACC37609

Hi everyone -

I'm no longer able to connect to my Slingbox and it doesn't seem to show up on my network at all.  When I power it on, the Slingbox logo lights stay lit along with the power light. The network light seems to be on, but very dim.

Hitting the 'reset' button on the back seems to have no effect.

If it's dead, I'm bummed because this would be my 3rd SlingBox to randomly die.

• Re: Pro-HD Dead?
          alanrichey42 Master

I guess you didn't search the forum (or doing a Google search) before posting ?    It is good etiquette to do some research yourself before posting.

This question has been raised dozens of times over the last few years.   Your Power Adapter has stopped working properly so you need to buy a new one.   And best to get the official Sling one as the Pro-HD is very sensitive to the power it gets and third-party adapters often don't help.   See Buy > Accessories at the top of the page.

ACC37609

Thanks for your lesson on netiquette, but I assure you I did search and simply saw lots of people asking the same question without any replies. Quite frankly, the organization of these forums when looking for answers for discontinued products leaves a lot to be desired.

I have had a SlingBox with a bad power supply, but the symptoms were vastly different as the unit was smoking and had no lights on it. In that case, I was able to get a free replacement of the entire unit from tech support as it almost set my house on fire.

I'll look into whether the power supply is pitting out the expected voltage.

alanrichey42 Master

>>>Thanks for your lesson on netiquette, but I assure you I did search and simply saw lots of people asking the same question without any replies.

Odd, I just did a quick check and immediately found this : Slingbox Pro HD power and logo LED blinking endlessly thread, which tells you the answer

>>>I'll look into whether the power supply is pitting out the expected voltage.

Almost certainly it will be fine.   Sling won't tell us what the problem is but my personal opinion is that a smoothing capacitor is failing and the output voltage goes very noisy and that upsets the sensitive Pro-HD.   That explains why all the lights still work, and would also explain why third-party adapters don't help as the cheap ones won't have much smoothing.

ACC37609

That's an interesting theory about the capacitor. I'll try a new power adapter first as I'd rather not buy another SlingBox right now.

Thanks!

Rich05UK

Hey ACC37609,

I agree with all of your comments above, I've found the same thing myself.  Can you confirm if a new adaptor did the trick?

One thing I will say about both the adaptor & the Slingbox PRO-HD, they both get extremely hot when plugged in, even when on standby.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the components fail due to the constant extreme temperatures they operate under.

Anyway, I would be interested in knowing if a new adaptor gets it working again, even though we all know it will eventually fail in a year or 2.  Sling really should have mentioned that they regard their power adaptors as a consumable item.

Cheers,

Richard.