1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 26, 2011 4:47 PM by ranaleon RSS

Very confused about slinglinks- help!

rangers24

Hi,

I've posted on here a few times about possibly getting a slingbox so that I can watch my home tv programming at college.  I am planning on purchasing the PRO-HD model, but i just need some guidance on whether I need a slinglink or a wireless bridge.  Basically, my setup is as follows....

I have my TV and my HD DVR cable box in one room, while my wireless modem is in another room. In order to stream the programming from the HD cable box to my computer at college, I would need to find a way to connect the router to the slinbox/cable box, correct? So in this case would I need a SlingLink or a Wireless Bridge? Which works better? And if it is the SlingLink, is the 1 port sufficient or would I be forced to get the 4 port because I need to connect the HD DVR box as well as the slingbox?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

• Re: Very confused about slinglinks- help!
          Apprentice

Hi, rangers24

I understand that you have some questions about the SlingLinks and how they work.

I have my TV and my HD DVR cable box in one room, while my wireless modem is in another room. In order to stream the programming from the HD cable box to my computer at college, I would need to find a way to connect the router to the slinbox/cable box, correct? 

The SlingLinks are power line bridges that will allow you to provide Internet access to rooms your network do not reach. They will help you in order to communicate the Slingbox and the router, however, both rooms (where Slingbox and router are) must go into the same electrical circuit. The following links will provide you with all the information about the SlingLinks.

SlingLink TURBO

How it Works

And if it is the SlingLink, is the 1 port sufficient or would I be forced to get the 4 port because I need to connect the HD DVR box as well as the slingbox?

If you only need to connect the Slingbox, the 1 port version will be good enough. If you have in mind to connect more than one device, your best option is to get the 4 ports version. 

So in this case would I need a SlingLink or a Wireless Bridge? Which works better?

In this case, it is up to you. You can user either the wireless bridge or the SlingLinks, according to your network layout.

Regards.