12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2011 4:47 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

No Video once HDMI cable plugged in to TV

tfloyd

I have a Slingbox SOLO, Xfinity HD DVR cable box(ScientificAtlantic 8300) connected to the SB SOLO with component video cables and audio out cable.  My picture and sound is great via the connection to the SB.  When I also add a connection from the cable box to an HDTV via HDMI cable, the video on the SB connection is gone stating "weak of no video signal" but the audio is stilll perfect.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  For now I unplug the HDMI cable if I am leaving the house and might want to watch remotely.

Thanks

• Re: No Video once HDMI cable plugged in to TV
          tfloyd

I found the answer in another discussion after I had posted the question.

tpl

Having the same problem sort of. Works fine if the HDTV is turned on, turn off the TV and I get a blue info screen with an HDMI problem. TV has to be on or HDMI cable unpluged from cable box for SB to work.

Can you post the answer or where to find the infromation? Thanks, tpl

devils3604

So i have the slingbox solo and I was wondering that if I bought the HD component cable would I get an HD picture on my slingbox?

alanrichey42 Master

Jim and I have this discussion every time someone posts this question 

Just  so everyone understands, Jim is extremely lucky that his Charter  company do not appear to have implemented HDCP on his cable/satellite  box.  So he can watch TV through the HDMI connection and watch his  Slingbox through the component connection.   But from reading all the  posts on this forum I would say that the vast majority of users have had  HDCP implemented in firmware on their devices and one of the consequences of this  is that if you use the HDMI cable to connect to a TV then the component  output is disabled.  Apparently the logic is that they don't want you to  record copyrighted HD material.

If you do have this  problem then the solution is to throw away the HDMI Cable and use the  Component Output from your cable/satelllite box to drive the Slingbox  and then the component pass-through on the Slingbox to drive the TV.    You will still get full HD on your TV you just have to use 5 wires  instead of one (although I accept that you won't get full 5.1 sound).

devils3604

So if I do the last part of what you said then will I get an HD picture when I watch TV on my laptop through the slingbox?

alanrichey42 Master

No, all I said was that you would get HD on the TV.   I am on very shaky ground here as I am not sure exactly what happens with Slingboxes.  I think even the Pro-HD doesn't display a full HD picture.   I'll let someone with more expertise in that area answer the question in more detail/

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Alan, I have concluded you are incorrect on this.  I no longer have Charter and still no problem now with U-Verse.  It is a problem with non-compliant devices.

alanrichey42 Master

OK we will just have to agree to disagree    It just seems odd that you are almost the only person who hasn't reported this problem and even Sling quote it as the reason.   I have to admit I can't prove it as my UK Sky box gets around the problem by not even having a component output, forcing you to use SD Composite.  But certainly every Virgin+ user I have contacted has seen the problem.

But what do you actually mean by compliant ?   We know the Slingbox isn't, so are you saying that it is your TV ?  Have you considered that the answer is actually the exact opposite, i.e. your TV is not compliant and doesn't send back the HDMI "I am connected" handshake signal to the cable box so it doesn't realise the HDMI is in use and continues to transmit on the Component output ?   Just a thought.

alanrichey42 Master

Done some more investigation and come up with this:

".....any Copyrighted Material carried over an HDMI connection is encrypted (HDCP) – the Rules of HDMI/HDCP preclude AV Receiver manufacturers from then outputting that signal on a non encrypted Analogue Output (Component)......"

So I guess a Manufacturer has 3 options:

1.  Watch for copyrighted material and block the Component output accordingly.  Quite a comple task I guess.

2.  Blank out the component output all the time HDMI is used (much easier )

3.  Downscale the Component output to SD if the HDMI is being used.   Is this perhaps what you are seeing ? Are you sure your Slingbox is getting 'real' HD ?

Fascinating stuff.

Al

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

I never said what signal is being transmitted to my Slingbox.  All I said was I can watch my Slingbox with my tv turned on or off, with Slingbox connected with component cables and my tv is connected with an HDMI cable.

My Slingbox is a SOLO, not Pro-HD.  The picture is incredibly clear via SlingPlayer or via Slingbox Watch.  I'm sure it's not HD, but that was never part of the discussion.  It is certainly much better than SD.  The picture is the same with tv on or off.

I don't know if that means my components are HDCP compliant or non-compliant.  All I know is your theory that it has something to do with Charter cable is incorrect unless U-Verse has the same issue, which I doubt.