15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2011 2:26 AM by matthew326 RSS

Adding shortcuts to Verizon FiOS remote

matthew326 Newbie

Hi,

I have a verizon fios box in america which I would like to make every single key have a keyboard shortcut.  Currently only a few do.  My long term goal is to get some software that allows me to change the keys of my windows media centre remote to letters on the keyboard, thus allowing me to use my windows media centre remote to control my receiver.

Problem is, I have no idea on how to change or add shortcuts.  I saw on another thread (https://community.sling.com/message/11927) that someone added the letter T to the List button.  If anyone knows and could tell me how you did this, or even do it for me (but I would prefer knowing how to do it myself) then that would be absolutely fantastic!

The remote I use is a Verizon RC1445301/00B

I want to change every single keyboard shortcut so each key is a letter from a to z

I do not own the slingbox in america as I rent it.  I could probably ask the host to add the remote but I really don't want to hassle him.  Do you know if I could do this locally - i.e. only on one of my computers?

Thank you in advance

Matt

• Re: Adding shortcuts to Verizon FiOS remote
          matthew326 Newbie

anyone have any ideas?

alanrichey42 Master

I am the resident Remote expert and I haven't got a clue, so I doubt very much anyone else has, although I would be happy to be proved wrong.

Sorry

Al

matthew326 Newbie

Oh well, thanks anyway.

So what is the difference between my question and this one which got fixed?  (https://community.sling.com/message/11927)

alanrichey42 Master

To be honest, that was over a year ago and I have no recollection of what I did.  I think I just happened to have a Cox 'skin' file (don't have a Verizon one) and I was able to change something in it.   I really don't remember, sorry.

matthew326 Newbie

Shame.  Thanks again!

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I suppose I am not allowed to give up :-)    I can't do anything with the built-in system as SLing have that tidied up.  So all I can do is try and replace the Versizon 'skin' with a Custom one that I can adjust.   So the first thing is to find out what it called.

So what OS are you using and do you use the standalone Slingplayer or the WedSlingPlayer ?:

matthew326 Newbie

You sir, are amazing!

I am using windows vista and slingplayer version 2.0.4.522

Thanks!

Edit - considering its 23:23 here, I am off to bed and won't reply until morning.  Once again, thanks for your help!

alanrichey42 Master
                                      I am using windows vista and slingplayer version 2.0.4.522

Good, same as me.   Next step is to look in C:\ProgramData\Sling Media\Slingplayer\2.0\Remotes\  and see what the name of the SPR file is (VerizonFIOS.spr ?).  You will have to implement "Show Hidden Files" to see that folder.

Then rename the attached file to the correct name and replace the original one.

Does it still work ?

Edit - considering its 23:23 here, I am off to bed and won't reply until morning.  Once again, thanks for your help!

23:23 ?   Europe ?  How come Verizon FIOS then ?

I happen to be in the USA at the moment so don't expect a reply very early either

matthew326 Newbie

You got the name of the remote right!

I replaced the remote and opened slingplayer and it displays the default remote skin for about a second then downloads the verizon one again.

Edit: I made the file you gave me read only and pasted it in and I think it stuck.  It disappeared after a second, but then the default one reappeared.  I don't know if it changed to the default one or if it stayed on your one.  The file size didn't change this time so I can only assume it was your one.  All the keys I tested worked.  I didn't test them all and there were a lot of keys missing which I found in the custom section of remote keys but once again, I didn't test each one.  I am guessing when you said does it work, you mean the remote and not the shortcuts?

alanrichey42 wrote:

23:23 ?   Europe ?  How come Verizon FIOS then ?

I happen to be in the USA at the moment so don't expect a reply very early either

My slingbox in America is connected to Verizon FiOS.  I am getting it from an exchange as I just quite simply hate British tv!  Because I do not watch any British tv now and I use my slingbox as my main source of tv, I am getting bored of using the on screen remote.  I have already found a solution to using any remote to set of macros on my computer, I just don't have a way of changing the rest of the shortcuts.  The reason I want all keys using letters a through z is because I can use them without them opening up the guide and remote.  Even when I use the number keys to change channel, it will change channel in the guide.

Once again, thanks for all your help!

alanrichey42 Master
                                              I replaced the remote and opened slingplayer and it displays the default remote skin for about a second then downloads the verizon one again.

I'd forgotten you have to make it read only.  Well picked up.

All the keys I tested worked.  I didn't test them all and there were a lot of keys missing which I found in the custom section of remote keys but once again, I didn't test each one.  I am guessing when you said does it work, you mean the remote and not the shortcuts?

Yes, Hopefully we can start tweaking those once we have control.

Right, LOTS of questions next.

You say you have the default remote showing, in Slingplayer if you select Connect > Remote Keys does it show the Verizon skin as an option ?

Now, rather than me continually sending you a 1.3Mb file, let me explain what we are going to try and do.   Although the file has an SPR extension it is actually a normal ZIP file.   If you open do you see a file called Property.xml  ?

Now look for Remote.XML.   Open that in a Text Editor (Notepad?), scroll to the end and you will see a set of entries :

<Shortcuts>
                                                  <Shortcut cmd="id.remote.menu" keys="M" />
                                                  <Shortcut cmd="id.remote.back" keys="Backspace" />
                                                  <Shortcut cmd="id.remote.guide" keys="G" />
                                                </Shortcuts>

Now, I am hoping that we can add the appropriate shortcuts here and they will work, but it purely guesswork :-)   Basically you need to edit that file, pop it back into the SPR file and see what happens.

Do those shortcuts actually work ?

What happens if you  add a line:

<Shortcut cmd="id.remote.pad.1" keys="1" />

Cheers

Al

matthew326 Newbie

alanrichey42 wrote:

You say you have the default remote showing, in Slingplayer if you select Connect > Remote Keys does it show the Verizon skin as an option ?

No.

alanrichey42 wrote:

Now, rather than me continually sending you a 1.3Mb file, let me explain what we are going to try and do.   Although the file has an SPR extension it is actually a normal ZIP file.   If you open do you see a file called Property.xml  ?

Now look for Remote.XML.   Open that in a Text Editor (Notepad?), scroll to the end and you will see a set of entries :

<Shortcuts>
                                                      <Shortcut cmd="id.remote.menu" keys="M" />
                                                      <Shortcut cmd="id.remote.back" keys="Backspace" />
                                                      <Shortcut cmd="id.remote.guide" keys="G" />
                                                    </Shortcuts>

Now, I am hoping that we can add the appropriate shortcuts here and they will work, but it purely guesswork :-)   Basically you need to edit that file, pop it back into the SPR file and see what happens.

Do those shortcuts actually work ?

What happens if you  add a line:

<Shortcut cmd="id.remote.pad.1" keys="1" />

I do not see a property.xml.  There is a remote xml which I found the shortcuts string and added that line.  I presume that you wanted me to test the theory that would add the number one to respond to the one being pressed on the remote.  If that was what you wanted me to test, there was already a shortcut on all the numbers for the numbers on the keyboard.  The shortcuts never changed between the origonal remote and your remote.  I don't know if this would of worked anyway but I added     <Shortcut cmd="id.remote.pad.DVR" keys="L" /> and it didn't work.

Don't know if what I did was what you wanted me to test but I hope it is!

Thanks

alanrichey42 Master
                                                      I do not see a property.xml. 

OK, I think that is why the skin is not appearing or being displayed under Connect > Remote Keys

A copy is attached so add that to the SPR file  (you may have to set the read-only flag off to add it and then set it again)

Now do you see the realistic remote ?   And is it available under Connect > Remote Keys

matthew326 Newbie

I have the realistic remote again now.  I also have the L key activating the DVR button

So in theory, all I have to do now is edit the Remote.XML file to have all the keys correspond to letters a through z?

If so, how do I find out the name of each key?

Thank you for everything so far, you are fantastic!!!!!!

Edit - Well I think its off to bed for me again, can I quickly ask: How come if I rename your spr file to a zip file I can open it but if I try that with a generic remote supplied from slingmedia it doesn't?  If I was to move off verizon to directv for example, (don't worry, I don't plan to at all) how would you change the remote to have all those configurable settings?