3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2011 9:21 PM by fujihts RSS

Router Port Forwarding/Remote View issues

rachelweso

Hello-

I recently bought a new router - D link DIR 615 router.  I've been having a lot of problems connecting remotely and I assumed the port forwarding was off.  I googled this issue and found a few websites that walked me through updating my port forwarding setting on the router (for Port 5001) to cure this issue.  Unfortunately, even with updating the port forwarding settings, it appears that the sling box isn't working.  In fact, my home computer (networked on the same wireless network as the slingbox) can't seem to "find" the slingbox on the network (I've tried reinstalling the software and setup assistant is unable to find the Slingbox although all lights are on and cords connected.  I've tried to reset the Slingbox quite a few times with no luck.

I'm wondering if I"m missing some key basic issue or if it's time to pay and bring in the big guns.  If anyone has encountered this or has any thoughts on how I can resolve this issue that would be great.

My home computer shows the following error: The connection attempt failed. Make sure the Slingbox you are trying to watch is on, set up for remote viewing, and not blocked by firewall/NAT settings (the error code is 0x8007274c).

While my networked computer shows this error: "You can't connect to the Slingbox right now.  Make sure it's set up for remote viewing, and that the network router the Slingbox is connected to has the correct Port Forwarding settings.

I assume the router is blocking my home computer and remote computer from viewing the Slingbox.  Are there any alternative port forwarding settings I can enter?  Anything else I can potentially try?  Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

• Re: Router Port Forwarding/Remote View issues
          Apprentice

Hi, rachelweso

I understand that you are having some issues with your Slingbox, since you are not able to get it up and running.

If you get the connection error message on you home network, it means that something is not working as it should. Since your Slingbox shows solid lights but you are not able to locate it, the issue seems to be related to the security software running on that computer. The following link will provide you with some steps to follow.

Internet security and personal firewalls

You can also try to download and install the SlingPlayer software on your computer in order to set it up. The following link will allow you to get this software version.

SlingPlayer software for Windows

SlingPlayer software for Mac

Once you locate the Slingbox, make sure to run the Setup Assistant for Internet Viewing.

Internet Viewing

Finally, this link will provide you with the steps to follow in order to adjust the router settings.

Port Forwarding SlingBox on the Dlink DIR-615

Make sure to follow these instructions and post back your results.

Regards

ACC491542

Hi,

I too am being frustrated by a similar issue. My Slingbox Solo has worked well for many months. Now, since the latest update to Slingplayer for iPhone, I can no longer view remotely over 3G.

I have gone into setup assistant and found that the slingbox keeps changing the port to be forwarded. I keep changing this back to 5001, it works for a day, then the next day it no longer works, gives me the `Your device or slingbox are not connected to the internet` message and no longer works.

Going back into set up assistant and it has automatically reassigned the port from 5001 to a another random one.

I have not added anything to my network.

Can you help?

Nick

fujihts

My slingbox works fine via my home network but unable view remotely with recommended port forwarding setting.