10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2013 10:50 AM by dabbagmm RSS

Useless outside of UK?

dabbagmm

I just moved to Hong Kong where Astra is out of geographical reach.  Does this mean my HDS-600RS is totally unfunctional? Is there a way to operate it (even part functionality) on other satellites? It's a pitty if my favorite gadget turns uselss!!!  It's all to do with device programming and I hope the Slingbox/Echostar team can offer a solution. Thanks...

• Re: Useless outside of UK?
          parinun888 Newbie

Not totally useless, but very limited use !

You can change the menu to other satellites. Then it just remains the case that you only receive unencrypted tv channels in sight of Hong-Kong satellite range who match the symbol rate, FEC and QPSK modulation specifications.

At least this unit will support the reception of  symbolrate 22000 and 27500 channels.

Look on satellite listings. (lyngsat.com,kingofsat.net)

In Hong-Kong,there are some satellite shops in Apiustreet. Maybe you could try to go to some shops in Apiustreet for advise of reception and satellite listings.

Of course you  can forget to receive almost any of the channels offered here to be received in Hong-Kong. Some satellites in reach of Hong-Kong will offer NHK-World,but not sure it is (still) broadcasted in clear.

The unit might also be used for C-band,but then you need to recalculate all the KU frequencies to C-Band 4ghz( very complicated, I have done this with other receivers).

消息编辑者为:parinun888

dabbagmm

Thanks for the positive feedback. My concern is that I attempted to hook  it up to a satellite dish and the box was not able to detect a signal  of any of the three LNBs attached to the dish.  The configuration of the  central satellite dish of my building offers three LNBs (each directed  to a different satellite) connected to a box that feed the signal to my  flat in a single cable. In short, I have feed from three satellites  Echostar box failed to pick their signals while a generic satellite  receiver was able to pick the signals of all three satellites.

I'm a bit concerned that Echostar was not able to pick any signal.  I was sold by Echostar customer service that HDS-600RS can only pick the signal of Astra and no other!!

Novice

HI dabbagmm,

Are you saying you have the receiver in Hong Kong? The HDS-600RS is designed to work with UK freesat and connects to a European satellite. If your unit is in Hong Kong you will not be able to connect to a European satellite due to coverage/footprint.

Hope this helps clarify your question

dabbagmm

Thank you Will for the feedback.

It's a pity that a product is designed to work within a  specific region.  I'm sure this limitation is a programmed restriction  rather than caused by hardware.  Manufacturers usually resort to  regional coding for marketing reasons and to market products in  association with particular licensing.

I hope that Echostar would release an official firmware that unwind this restriction.

dabbagmm

I tried several options and I couldn't pick up a signal in Hong Kong. I  have a friend in Dubai and I'm wondering if HDS-6000RS would work on  Hotbird which I'm not sure if it's considered to be a European satellite  or not?!

dabbagmm

Hi...

It has been a while since my post and I'm wondering if there has been any change or solution available to allow my HDS-600RS to detect signals of non-European satellites? 

parinun888 Newbie

Did some searching on Lyngsat. I've noticed very limited amount of channels do use symbol rate 27500 in Asia,a lot are encrypted too.

In order to detect any 27500, 22000 signal strength (encrypted or not) you need to go to the settings menu and got to tuning. Select "Viewing mode": change to "Non freesat".(Maybe a factory reset is needed first in order to select  Non freesat)

Or select "Manual Scan " But you really need a list frequencies, Symbol rate and FEC  first. 

Insat 3A/4B on 93,5 East do carry some receivable signals what can be in clear: 11490 vertical, symbol rate: 27500, FEC: 3/4, NHK -World.

But highly unlikely that oneof the dishes is pointed towards the "Insat" satellite on 93,5 degrees

Novice

HI there,

I think the core business goal of this specific product was to deliver an award winning freesat solution which included SlingLoaded technologies and the along with the goodness of freesat as a platform. Sorry.... :-( But I think if there are other markets where interest would be enough I'm sure the EchoStar product marketing and sales team would love to know!

Maybe lets start the feedback here. Any markets where you think this would be a super hit to compliment the technologies within and also the platform just like freesat?

dabbagmm

OK.. let's direct some thoughts to the marketing people!

First, the freesat solution is not a country/region specific as free satellite channels are popular globally with US probably being the exception which is mostly a cable-oriented market.  There is a good consumer demand for satellite receivers and I'm not here to lecture a leader who conducts market surveys and have access to market intelligence.  Second, there has been a great deal of effort and investment that was put into this fantastic product and I'm wondering on the rationale behind limiting the marketing of this product to a specific region/market. Should there be future plans to launch this product globally, why limiting the products from finding its way to the global market by restricting its functionality to a region?

I would assume that HDS-600RS is able to function with any satellite broadcast as long as it is free and the restriction is imposed on it to work only with specific satellites. Should there be superior technologies involved with particular satellite broadcast, I would think that this should not limit the HDS-6000RS from working with the basic and less advanced satellite ones.   

Excuse my ignorance as I don't claim to have a fraction of the knowledge of EchoStar experts, but my logic tells me that the age of hardware coding is over. The global version provides unlimited access to markets and is probably that hits sales record.  I wonder why would someone introduce a limitation to product that is being sold at full price?

slimgym

Hi

Just bought an HDS-600RS and came across your message. There are a couple of issues with what you want. As you've said, the satellites that carry freesat have beams coming down over northern europe - outside the target area larger dishes are required - plus depending on where you are the satellite could appear to be below the horizon.

Secondly, the EPG for freesat is unique to freesat, so even if you were able to decode muxes from other satellites, I doubt you would have an EPG any more than now and next, so no ability to set recordings.

I had a play through the menus and looks like you can search with user input frequencies, symbol rates and suchlike, but the box expects to see a universal LNB so you have no control of how it selects low and high bands, nor the local oscillators of the LNBs. That said, universal LNB's are universal so you might get some joy on your communal feeds if they expect a receiver to switch bands in the conventional way and use the same LO frequencies. Otherwise the displayed frequency on the receiver would be different from that intended, which would make finding channels difficult!

I think it would be a project of interest but given the customisation for freesat you would be better off with a standalone satellite receiver.

Regards

Dave