15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2013 11:12 AM by bsheppard RSS

PRO HD and Virgin Media 100MB (XXXL) Superhub

NeilArcher

So, we've upgraded to the 100MB Virgin Broadband with the new Superhub.

No problems whatsoever in connecting.

We're using a US-bought Slingbox Pro HD on Virgin 100MB Broadband in the UK.

The 100MB package gives the user a 10MB upload speed.

On the home network, we are streaming at speeds of around 8mbps but Intenet viewing (away from the home network location) we are only streaming at 3mbps.

The quality of picture and audio is STUNNING at 3mbps - but I am wondering if anyone out there has been able to increase the upload speed through the Superhub to nearer the 10mbps??

As technology advances and companies continously increase their upload speeds, we want to get the very highest upload speed available to us.

If anyone has managed to get into the QOR settings of the new Virgin Superhub and increase the upload speed to nearer 10mbps, I'd like to hear from you and how you managed to do this.

Thanks -

Neil

sling.JPG

• Re: PRO HD and Virgin Media 100MB (XXXL) Superhub
          callanish Apprentice

Sorry to be kind of off topic, but I'm looking into the 50/5 mb Virgin package to work with my slingbox, but what's been holding me up is all the forum complaints about the superhub and its instability. Can you give me an idea of how stable the superhub has been with your slingbox and if you had any issues with port forwarding the superhub when originally setting it up?

My upload connection is 2mb's right now through Virgin, but I'm getting a 1.3mb connection to my slingcatcher 5000 miles away. I'm sure latency plays a part in the equation losing some in the transfer, but with upgrading, I assumed I'd be getting 3mb's from the slingbox on a 5mb upload connection. I guess I'll find out if I upgrade. I also thought that an 8mb stream was about the highest you could get out of a slingbox pro hd, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see what measures others have taken to increase their upload speeds, but right now I'd just settle for your 3mb connection.

NeilArcher

The Superhub has been perfectly stable. I had to change my N router on the US side to a G router as the N couldn't cope with the speed - it would throw me offline which was a real pain. The G though has been working perfectly for about 6 weeks now.

I also read a lot of negative comments about the Superhub but thought I would find out for myself. There was absolutely no problem in setting up the Slingbox Pro HD with the new Superhub - all we did was a hard reset back to its factory state and then walk through the Slingbox Setup Wizard and it found the Superhub with no problem at all.

One thing I have noticed (with these speeds) is that I get a higher stream speed by using the Sling Web Player instead of the Slingplayer software... I will try and upload some screenshots later so you can see the difference. Using the Slingplayer desktop, I'm streaming aound 2300kbps - on the Web Player, it's consistently 2950-3050kbps... strange? I bring up the remote, set it to full screen and the remote disappears. Touch the mouse and it appears again. You can also easily set the quality using the Web Player - I have it on BEST HD and I never get lag, buffer is constantly full - even at 3000kbps.

In my experience with Virgin Broadband, it's almost as if they set everything to upload at 25% of what they can actually upload.

When I was on the 1.8mbps upload, I would struggle to get 400kbps - so yes, I am absolutely overjoyed with a 3mbps stream speed.... but if the speed test (on the UK end) states 10mbps upload, we should really be streaming higher surely. 3000kbps is around that 25% mark that Virgin has usually uploaded at. We haven't tried playing with the QOR settings of the Superhub - hence my request to find out what high speeds our other Sling users are getting - trust me, I don't want to play around and then find I'm getting slower speeds!

I would recommend you go for the 50/5 and enjoy it - just watch for the Traffic Management which will throttle you to 25% for 5 hours - it's easy to reach it. The XXXL 100/10 is the only package on the Virgin platform that allows you to stream without the throttle.

Also, consider your Bandwidth Cap with your ISP depending on where you're at. Comcast in the United States has a 250GB monthly usage cap - once you go over they'll call you and warn you - if it happens again, they will switch off your service and blacklist you for a year. If you log into your account, they have a bandwidth meter in the services tab that will tell you where you're at for the month. My way around that was to change from residential to commercial - same price, better modem and no Bandwidth Cap whatsoever.

Let me know how you get on

Neil.

dansoton

I'd also be very interested in this, as my slingbox is currently at my brother-in-law's and he's got 50mb Virgin broadband and I want to know how much benefit there would be for him to move to 100mb.

As an FYI, I also almost always get just under 3000kbps (normally fluctuates around 2900ish) which isn't bad for a 5mb upload speed, but still a bit annoying as that's only 60% of the advertised speed. So interesting that you're also topping out at 3000kbps even though you've got a 10mb upload speed as that sounds a bit too much of a coincidence.

Regarding QoS settings, I haven't tried that as I don't have admin access to the router in the UK, and trying to do it over the phone is a bit of a pain.

Be really good to hear from anyone with knowledge as I'd like to understand if I can do anything to improve the 3000kbps top end speed.

trionfare

Neil,

Where in the US are you to get 3MB streaming speeds?

I have the 5MB upload package on Virgin in UK, with a slingbox pro (not the HD), streaming to Seattle on the west coast. The max I can get is 1.2MB.

I"m in the US right now so likely I'd only be able to update you on changes at end of year when I'm the UK.

Is using a modem different to the superhub or flashing it to different firmware like DD-WRT options you have have considered if you're still blocked?

callanish Apprentice

@trionfare

Since my stream from the U.K to the West coast U.S is also around 1.2mb's using a 5mb Virgin upload connection, I'm guessing Neil must be a lot closer to his slingbox than we are. Still, I'm mighty curious to know how much closer he is to his slingbox to get that 3MB stream. There has to be a bottleneck somewhere for us with latency on why we can't achieve even a 1/3 of our upload speeds being so far away. Added to that, when Virgin upgrades its connection speeds to 10 / 100 mb in the summer / autumn, I'm curious to know if that will even add anything to the streaming speed on the U.S end. I mean if I'm still getting 1.2mb's out of my slingcatcher / P.C / logitech Revue on a 10mb upload connection, I'm really going to be scratching my head.

P.S, I tried everything on the U.K side when I was there a few months ago, tweaking the superhub, running the superhub on modem only mode, calling in a Virgin tech to the house to check the snr and power levels and there are no issues on that side. Nor do I have any speed problems on the U.S side, so if a TCP connection and latency is causing all this, I doubt if anything will improve the streaming speeds coming out of the U.K especially when TCP connections are vulnerable to distance issues. I'm also assuming Neil was talking about the Q.O.S setting on the superhub, not Q.O.R. There is no quality of service settings on the superhub.

NeilArcher

Hey guys - sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Been one of those weeks!

I'm streaming in Florida from my Slingbox Pro HD in the UK.

The stream speeds have nothing to do with the distance. Between the two, but the upload speed in the UK.

I've had Virgin Media on the UK end since the beginning of time and I have always found that I get around 25-30% of the Virgin advertised upload speeds.

When it was a 1.5mb upload, I'd stream around 400kbps. When it went up to 5mb, I'd be streaming around 1.2mbps.

Now I'm at Virgin's 'advertised' XXXL package of 100/10, I'm consistently streaming around 3mbps. It fluctuates from time to time but it's always around 2,900 - 3,200kbps.

I'm hearing now that Virgin are moving XXXL customers to 120/12 in the summer of 2012 but with 12pm upload, I'll be surprised if I get a higher stream than 4,000kbps. Either way, I'm extremely happy with the speed, but in this game, the faster you get, the more you want!

Hope this helps.

Neil.

trionfare

Thanks Neil. Enjoy that 3MB speed, I'd love to be getting that.

Callanish, really useful to hear you are on a similar speed. One thing that had me puzzled was that I also tried the 2.5MB upload on BE there, and got only marginally slower speeds of around 1000kbps - 1200kbps. When I did a tracert of the route it was taking, it seemed that via the Virgin connection it was taking a more indirect path to Seattle.

Ref other investigations, I got 2.7MB by using trustedproxies.com and finding a server on the East coast, but the cost is 20dollars per month. The remaining unknown for me is whetherl my max speed always be 1200kbps due to latency or will I just lose two thirds of my upload speed whatever that is - in which case the 10MB option would take me closer to Neil's 3MB. Any luck with other providers or proxy services?

callanish Apprentice

@trionfare

After reading Neil's reply, looks like his 10mb connection is paying off for him with providing a 3mb upload speed to Florida. For me, originally, I was on Virgin's upload connection of 768kbps before the upgrade, and I was getting just over 700kbps out of the slingcatcher and PC here in the U.S. Then I was upgraded by virgin to the 2mb connection and was receiving just a bit over 1mb here in Vegas. When I further upgraded to the 5mb connection, I thought I'd have at least a 2mb connection and more, but every setting I attempted to fix on both sides didn't improve anything over the 1.2 - 1.3mb speed I currently have, except one. The exception was when I accessed the settings of the superhub, and remotely turned off port forwarding which changed the stream type from TCP to SNATT, and was shocked that all of a sudden I was at a 1.7 mb stream level. Only experimented with the Snatt speed for a short while, because I needed the TCP connection for the slingcatcher, so I just accepted the fact that I couldn't make things run any faster. It was strange though that I got a 500kbps boost from switching to SNATT. When I was in the U.K, I tested the slingbox from a relative's location 100 miles away and was streaming at 2.6mb's, so I've came to the conclusion that there's a bottleneck on the East coast U.S that when the connection makes its way to the West coast, for some reason, things just slow down.

I have two slingbox's setup in the U.K and they both achieve the exact same speeds on the U.S side, so I don't think its a hardware issue or internet connection issue as Virgin's connection has been pretty stable and consistent, just a slower stream than I expected out of 5mb's. I checked my area in the U.K and it looks like I'll have to wait until October for the speed doubling that Virgin has promised to find out if I can at least get anywhere near a 3mb speed out of a 10mb connection. $20 a month, for me, is a bit much for a proxy. The only thing I'm experimenting with right now is a service that costs me $5 a month.

http://www.unblock-us.com/?v=2

What I'm using is a Logitech revue with Google TV. Since there's no VPN access with Google TV to open up U.K content, unless you use your own vpn wireless router, I've looked for an alternative and came across this DNS service that opens the door to watching BBC's iplayer, the live channels, and ITV's iplayer through Google TV and puts the content on the big screen. Just wanted another alternative to take the load off my U.K slingbox's with this service and so far it's been pretty good.

So, to sum up, I've accepted the fact that what I have right now, with regards to speed, is the best I'm going to get out of my two slingbox's. Eventually I'll receive this 10mb upload upgrade at some point and I'll find out if that connection can squeeze anything further to the West coast. If I had to make an educated guess, based on the incremental speed increase I was getting from my other service upgrades, I'd say I'd probably achieve something like a 1.5 - 2.0 mb speed from Virgin's 10mb connection. Not brilliant, but if it stays consistent and stable and continues to provide me with U.K content from a U.K DVR to a slingcatcher 5000 miles away in the U.S, then I'm not going to be that upset.

trionfare

thanks for the detailed reply.

fyi round upgrade time looks like BE and BT infinity option 3 might be other options

callanish Apprentice

okay, thanks for that. Always good to have options

trionfare

Callanish, any updates on upgrades in the UK?

callanish Apprentice

My area has been pushed back to march 2013 by Virgin, so a 10mb upload speed for me is a bit of a pipe dream. I see virgin customers are being upgraded to the 100mb download speed around various locations, but they aren't receiving the faster upload speeds immediately. Frustrating, but I'm using unotelly for watching a lot of my U.K shows using Google Tv which gives me a much better picture than what's coming out of the slingbox.

trionfare

What a find thanks! Also should you be interested this works with Xbox 360, which means you can use the kinect to control it with voice and gestures!

i do hope they update the 350 software so that you can use proxie servers with them...

callanish Apprentice

Unotelly has been working great for me so far and has been pretty stable, so I hope it works as well for you. I even got TVcatchup.com to work with my Sony googletv hardware which has all the live U.K basic channels in one location, so that's a nice bonus. Thanks for the Xbox tip. Would you believe I've got an Xbox360, but no Kinect. I need to get with the times.

Totally agree about proxy server support on the new models. I don't see it happening anytime soon, but you never know. Like I said in my last post, I'm just patiently waiting on Virginmedia to provide me with a half way decent upload speed. I did get an email telling me that due to the upgrade speed delay I would be put on the 120 mb down / 12 mb upload for the same price as the 100/10,  so that was nice of them......that is whenever I actually get the upgrade.

bsheppard Newbie

Somewhere between remotely viewing in the US from a UK slingbox (on Virgin 6 mb upload) my speed is being throttled. UK Sling tech support (based in Holland I think) can get about 5000 kpbs when testing my stream, but in the US (both at home AND US sling tech support they can only get about 1,000 kbs - dropping to 500kbps. Done a tracert to my SLingbox in UK and it times out at 50c5404.flatrate.dk (whereever that is!!). I may just do a factory reset of the box incase my slingbox IP has been throttled. Wish I could tell my slingbox to take a different route. Any ideas? Has Virgin get some dodgy uplinks to the US? I use to have a great speeds.