3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2011 1:50 PM by SirLamer RSS

Slingbox Video delay

bunnyhill

I am using slingbox within my home network so that two tv's in the same room can display the same video. The audio is provided via my home stereo.  Unfortunately, there is a delay in the video that comes from the slingbox so that one of the tv's is not in sync with the audio.  Is there a way to eliminate or severely reduce this delay?

• Re: Slingbox Video delay
          SirLamer

Wow, no answers in a long time.

If the two TVs are reasonably close together and you're sure you always want both TVs to show the same thing then you're better to use an HDMI splitter to send the same feed to both TVs. Then they will be synced, except for a possible fractional second difference induced by any differences in pre-processing features in the two TVs.

If they are far apart, then there simular solutions that use Cat6 (ethernet) to send the video a longer distance but for now most solutions don't support IP switching so you need to use a dedicted Cat6 line and not one that is fed through a router. If you have dedicated cat6 wall jacks available and a central switchboard in your home that you can use to connect the two ports then you can use the wall jacks.

By its nature Slingbox must introduce a delay to allow for video buffering. This is important in any digital video transmission. Even your cable TV company introduces a massive buffering delay in their feed, you just don't notice it because there is no reference comparison to the live feed.

chakkarinen Apprentice

Not only can there be some delay due to signal buffering by the Slingbox, I have found that there can be some buffering by just having two different types of cable boxes on TVs that are only 10 meters apart (living room versus adjoing kitchen).  One of these TVs has a Digital Transport Adapter that converts the digital input signal into a form understandable to the old TV; the other has a standard cable box attached to a new LCD HD TV.  There is about a half-second delay between what is broadcast on the two screens.

SirLamer

That is absolutely true, but that is a consequence of using two different video signal types. Also, newer TVs buffer and heavily process a few frames at a time while old TVs have no buffer so it will display more quickly. Some newer TVs that have significant buffering include a "game mode" or "fast mode" option or something like that to turn off as much of the processing features as possible to minimize the delay. In particular, Sony has been providing such a feature for awhile.