3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2011 5:26 PM by michael1357 RSS

Slingbox addon for Firefox killing video card

michael1357

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone else is having problems with the slingbox addon killing Firefox 4.0.1, and messing up video cards?  I am connected from a Gateway SX2850-01 to a RCA Proscan LCD TV through an HDMI connection.  The problems started while I was connected to the integrated video card. (an intel chipset.)  For the first four months there were absolutely no issues, but then all of a sudden one day video signal to my TV would be lost, and my TV would power off.  When I would turn the TV back on I would see the Desktop for approximately 2 seconds then loose signal again, and the TV would power off again.  My attempts to correct the problem included: 1. Reloading the driver for the video card.  (worked OK for a while, but could not get full resolution on the TV, then eventually would lose signal to the TV agian.) 2. Connected a standard monitor via VGA then Uninstalled/Reinstalled Firefox, got a stable video signal and connected to the TV through the VGA connection. (worked for a while, but eventually lost signal to the TV again.) 3. Installed a new video card. (worked for a while, but eventually lost signal to the TV again.)  4. Switched to Internet Exploder, downloaded an update, and have not had a problem since.  Can we please get an update to fix Firefox because I RRRRRRRRRRRRRREALLY can't stand using Exploder for anything!!!!!!

• Re: Slingbox addon for Firefox killing video card
          coleb

i'm having the same issue ..but my entire computer locks up and then crashes .. i've tried everything you have ..unfortunatly i couldn't even get it to work on explorer ..this sucks

michael1357

Hey Coleb,

The only way I was able to get a stable desktop again was to connect a normal lcd monitor to the VGA port then do a complete power cycle.  For some reason with it connected to a TV the TV does not like it and it will shut off.  I believe the Firefox addon is sending garbage to the TV tuner.  Unfortunately only Slingbox can fix this.  They have released a notification that a new update was downloaded to the SB PRO boxes last week, and that you should reboot your slingbox for the updates to take complete effect.

michael1357

Hello all,

I believe I have determined the root cause of this issue, and I have a good feeling it is Adobe flash.  Just today there was an update for flash available for download, and as normal I installed it.  Not 5 minutes later my TV exhibited the same behavior as it did in the original post, and powered off.  The only difference this time is that the computer I have connected to the TV was sitting idle at the Desktop.  Again I connected a laptop to the TV to the VGA connection to get a stable video signal. (Which only required a booting of the laptop, and a change of the TV video input from HDMI to VGA.) Then disconnected the video cable from the laptop and reconnected the VGA video connection to my computer I normally have connected to the TV.  After determining the video was working again on VGA I disconnected the VGA, and reconnected the HDMI.  It is now working agaqin on both Firefox and Exploder, but this is a bandaid.  I shouldn't have to do all this switching of video cables and computers.  My suggestion is to turn off automatic updates for Adobe.