6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2011 2:02 AM by jjimedstein Branched to a new discussion. RSS

ATTN SLING SUPPORT - HELP US ROLL BACK OUR FIRMWARE

lie2bqe

Obviously the latest update has been a disaster. Can you please either send out a fix or tell us how to roll back to the last version.

Thank you.

• Re: ATTN SLING SUPPORT - HELP US ROLL BACK OUR FIRMWARE
          rikishi

Rather than being rolled back, my Slingbox Pro HD has magically lurched forward and is working again!  When I did the disastrous "upgrade", I had been running 1.4.60 and updated to 2.1.80.  I'm reasonably certain that 2.1.80 was actually installed, because the Support page showed:

Slingbox Software Version: 2.1.80

However, it now shows:

Slingbox Software Version: 2.1.190

rikishi

This happened without my taking any action and without any notification, and in spite of the fact that the Slingbox Status Alerts was showing Internet Viewing Status: Critical, i.e. it wasn't "phoning home" anymore. However, it was still listening on TCP port 5001, which was still accessible via unchanged public IP address and port forwarding. I suspect that there is a back door via which the support team was able to push an update. I'd appreciate it if Support could post an explanation here.

In any case, once the firmware went to 2.1.190, the Slingplayer plug-in (running under Win 7, IE 9 and connected to my home via VPN) offered the option of setting a new admin password (I'd tried many times before, to no avail). And, it started playing video! I had to repeat most of the setup, because it was zapped by the hard resets my friend had done. Unfortunately, I couldn't set up Internet viewing (it insisted I wasn't home -- don't know how it knew), but I was able to watch through the VPN. Then, I had the idea of trying the Desktop Player. That wasn't so fussy and I told the Setup Assistant to enable Internet viewing. Attempting to connect to my router back home, it hung (no surprise -- it has the same private IP as my local router here) and I had to kill Slingplayer from Task Manager. However, it had done the deed, and normal Internet viewing is working again.

Many thanks to all who helped with the details, and I hope that all of you still afflicted with this bug will see your units come back to life.

lie2bqe

I've done the factory reset for probably the 6th time in a matter of 5 days. It's currently working, but I'm not holding my breath as I can get it to work for a short period of time until it disappears again.

lie2bqe

Latest update seems to be working. Fingers crossed.

Expert

Hello all - as per the announcement on the front page of Answers, we're aware of the issue that some PRO-HD's have had after the June 11th firmware update.

To fix this, we've transmitted a different software version to all Slingbox PRO-HD models. This version of the Slingbox PRO-HD internal software has been thoroughly tested and it offers improved performance. Looks like you guys are fixed up and working, but for any of those still having issues, read on...

For affected PRO-HD units, to complete this software installation, please:

1. Reset your Slingbox PRO-HD by briefly pressing the Reset button (on the Slingbox PRO-HD back panel).
                    2. Allow 10 minutes for the software to install. Please do not interrupt the process! At times, the indicator lights may flash, while at other times there may be no apparent activity.
                    3. After waiting 10 minutes, confirm that the Power and the Network lights glow steadily once again.
                    4. Try connecting to your Slingbox as specified below.

Using your computer or mobile device, check to see:

• That your Slingbox PRO-HD appears in the Slingbox Directory;
                    • That you are able to connect to your Slingbox PRO-HD and stream TV as normal.

If, after trying the above, your PRO-HD still doesn't appear in your Slingbox Directory, or shows no network light on the front of the box (see attached graphic), just call us at (877) 467-5464 and mention the failed firmware update.There is no charge for support on this specific issue!

Thanks,

The Sling Support Team

slingbox-lights-status.jpg