9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2011 9:43 AM by daniell RSS

Cable tuner

daniell

Slingbox website says PRO-HD have built-in digital cable tuner, but in setup it's only possible to select analog?

Digital is only selectable in setup for terrestrial antenna.

• Re: Cable tuner
          alanrichey42 Master
          Slingbox website says PRO-HD have built-in digital cable tuner

Where does it say that ?   It has a built-in digital tuner, but I don't think it mentions cable ?

daniell

On compare page it says:

"Built-in analogue & digital (Freeview) cable tuner"

I have 10 channels or so that is freeview on digital cable, i where expecting to view these with the tuner.

Without this a SOLO box would have been enough choice of device instead of a PRO-HD. (Who have analog in cable nowdays?)

In the setup there is a box to switch between analog and digital but is greyed out, almost like it where prepared but not activated.

alanrichey42 Master
                  On compare page it says:

"Built-in analogue & digital (Freeview) cable tuner"

I stand corrected.  But it is obviously wrong, so I suggest one of the Moderators point out to the Webmaster that this is an error.   (The Slingbox does NOT  have a digital 'cable' tuner, it just has a digital tuner)

But have you tried plugging an ordinary TV aerial in the co-ax socket and trying to get the Freeview channels from that ?

daniell

Don't have aerial antenna at hand to use, not planning to buy one either since cable channels is included in rent.

Freeview on aerial is like 3 channels or so, and they are moving over to DVB-T2 and HDTV, i guess the digital tuner don't support either DVB-T2 or HDTV.

Sounds that we should consider returning the box and perhaps buy SOLO instead to save some money.

The box works okay with AV input except for one "hang" where power cord had to be removed and inserted again to resume usage.

daniell

Btw, same on this URL: http://www.slingmedia.com/go/prohd

"Includes built-in analog and HD digital Clear QAM cable tuner and ATSC antenna tuner"

According to that it seems like it should even support HD via cable tuner.

alanrichey42 Master
                            "Includes built-in analog and HD digital Clear QAM cable tuner and ATSC antenna tuner"

According to that it seems like it should even support HD via cable tuner.

Ah, now that is different, and is describing the USA box.  What that means is that if you have a cable system that runs in the clear, i.e. you can just plug the co-ax cable direct from the wall to the TV without the need for a box, then it will see those channels.

Because you are talking about Freeview, I assumed you were based in the UK, so this description is not relevant.  As far as I know there isn't a cable company in the UK that does not require a box to decode the signal ?

daniell

I am located in Sweden

We have digital clear/freeview channels both SD & HD that dont need box, only digital dvb-c tuner.

The pay channels are encrypted and they i dont expect to see.

The websites don't differ the products on markets at slingmedia.

Slingbox.com refer swe to uk site info.

alanrichey42 Master

Ok, we are slowly getting there  

I am located in Sweden

We have digital clear/freeview channels both SD & HD that dont need box, only digital dvb-c tuner.

So are you saying that if you plug your co-ax lead into the Slingbox you don't see any channels ?

I know nothing about Swedish TV, but is it PAL ?  That is all the UK Slingbox will support.