24 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2011 6:11 PM by davejeffway Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Recover after failed firmware upgrade?

rikishi

I attempted to upgrade my Pro HD from 1.4.60 to 2.1.80 .  The upgrade appeared to complete ok, but the player could not communicate after the restart.  When I try to connect, I get error 0x92350035 .  Two power cycles were done, to no avail.  Is there anything short of a factory reset that is worth trying?  I'm not at home, but have a friend who can help me.  After the reset (if needed), I'd like him to take the minimum number of steps to restore remote access.  Are there instructions for doing this, i.e. without setting up video sources, locations, etc?  Alternatively, can I do this remotely over my VPN?  (It won't pass broadcast packets, but if there is some way to tell the Setup Assistant to connect to a specific "local" IP address, I could do the setup from here.)

• Re: Recover after failed firmware upgrade?
          isisyodin

I tried upgrading my box as well this afternoon and it failed in the process. I have tried power cycling and reseting but it wont work. I wonder if the latest upgrade has bricked this thing. Any help will be appreciated.

rikishi

Thanks for the info.  I also tried factory reset, to no avail.  I am curious if we have both been hit by the same bug.  First, did you get the same 0x92350035 error (after power cycling but before reset)?  In my case, after the reset, the player (my friend was using a Mac) could not see any Slingboxes on the LAN.  Strangely, I could still access the device remotely by IP address (in the narrow sense of getting the TCP connection open), but could not log in.  Same for my friend, using the private IP.  The factory reset did do something -- it seems to have reset the admin password to "admin" (without the quotes).  If I enter the old password or anything else, it prompts me again for the password (and a check with Wireshark shows the normal incorrect password response).  But, if I enter "admin", I get the 0x92350035 error again.  Wireshark shows a 0x35 status code for the login request (would be 0x0d for OK and 0x02 for incorrect password).

I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could point me to a firmware recovery tool or other means of bringing this unit back to life.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

isisyodin

Well, I tried a prolonged reset, 38 seconds, until all LEDs were flashing. It brought my unit back to life; all the settings were gone, so I had to start from scratch. To my surprise the unit was now up to date. Something appears to be hosed on the latest firmware as this is nit suppose to happen. I am glad it did not brick it.

rikishi

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear that you got yours working.  In my case, pressing reset would initiate rapid flashing within about five seconds, but the slow flashing described in the documentation would never occur.  Did your unit's lights start flashing again after 38 seconds?  If so, about how fast?

Thanks.

isisyodin

Hi, it was similar to your case... nevertheless, I read somewhere to keep the reset button pressed for 30 seconds until all leds flashed... it happen once at more or less 5 seconds, and again at 38 seconds. At 38 seconds is when I let go of the reset button. After that, I did a rescan within the web interface of the SlingPlayer setup, and it found it. From there, I just continued with the regultar new box setup.

rikishi

Thanks.  In my case, it took about 42 seconds for the second bout of rapid flashing to begin, and at that point we released the button.  Unfortunately, Slingplayer still doesn't find it, and if you select it manually from the directory, the same error results.

After the long reset, what program "found" your box? (Slingplayer desktop, or slingbox.com web interface?  PC or Mac?)

isisyodin

I use Mac OSX 10.6.7, Safari web interface with the latest slingplayer plugin. I did it thru my LAN not over the internet. As far as I know, all the other clients are not longer supported and will not work; therefore, the browser interface is your only option.

Something similar happened to me. I think Safari cached the page because when I logged in to Slingbox.com, in the slingbox directory I saw the name of my old configuration, and I could not log into the box; my password would not work, but the name of the box was still on the directory. Then, I tried the slingbox setup, it did a rescan and found a new slingbox. I used a different name than before just to be sure I would conflict the setup with the previous one. Then I continued with the setup.

ccomilehi

Has there been a resolution to this problem? My PRO-HD is still not responding after the firmware update. Anyone? HELP!

isisyodin

Not an official one as you can see on this thread.

I got mine to work over an extended reset 30+ seconds, and starting from scratch thru the web interface.

My firmware went thru, but at the end, when it was supposed to restart the box, it failed to do so. If your firmware update failed at a different point during the upgrade, your problem may be different.

smith8917

i've tried to factory reset my slingbox and the network light still won't come on.... has anyone had this problem and been able to fix the slingbox?

wrector

We finally got ours to work through numerous tries at resetting the box.  Our symptoms:  It started when we could not communicate with our SB after the firmware upgrade.  We would reset the device and go into setup, but our device could not be found on the network.  If we clicked on Directory, we could see our SB.  Whenever we tried to do the setup, it would ask us for the Admin Password and no password would work.  Once we reset the device we had the network light and the U shaped slingbox lights flashing.  It finally worked on the 3rd or 4th reset and we were able to set the device up.

At first I thought SB did a good job of communicating that there was a problem caused by them and apologizing for the inconvenience they caused.  However, the instructions they provided made it sound like you just hit the reset button, wait 10 minutes and you should be able to communicate with your device.  Wrong....I believe you need to go back through the setup procedure....no mention of that on their instructions.  Also, no idea why numerous resets don't seem to work and then all of a sudden you are back online.

Finally, you read about the people who called into SB only to be charged to fix a problem caused by SB.  Very poor customer service!

smith8917

yeah, thanks for the info... I broke down and called them today.. They tried to pry money out of me and I told them that this was either a warranty call (to replace b/c of the network card) or a problem they caused with a firmware update.  That seemed sufficient to continue troubleshooting without paying.  The CSR was helpful and patient, but in the end, we failed to get the network light to come back on... and therefore decided to RMA the unit.  3-7 days "ground shipping" which is kind of a pain considering I've already been without the box for the weekend, but better than nothing since it's under warranty and a free replacement.

If anyone has any ideas in the meantime for me to get this working while I wait, that would be awesome.  I still can't get anywhere where the network light even thinks about flashing

agrassian

FYI, I just called Slingbox support.  I used to say that this company had the best customer support on the planet.  My previous interactions with SlingMedia have been wonderful and I have been a loyal customer since purchasing the original when it was first released.

I now have the pro-HD  (purchased in 2009) and had what appeared to be the issue mentioned in the alert.  I tried to reset it and follow the procedures.  The results:  Slingbox light is on, Power light is on, Network light is not.

I told the technical support person my status and he gave me the following options:

1.  Visit the forums for free.

2.  Pay $29.99 to diagnose my problem.

3.  Buy new HW

I mentioned that it seemed to be related to the firmware update from the weekend and that the box was working fine before that.

He said my problem was not the same as defined on the web site.  If it truly is a HW issue, I believe that it would be an awfully strange coincident. 

He would not transfer me and would not say if they had a solution to regain network connectivity.  He stated all other agents would say the same thing because it is company policy.

This just doesn't seem right. 

If anyone has any options or advice, please let us know.  I will also try to call again later to see if I can get a different agent.

Unfortunately, my wife just left for Taiwan on Saturday and won't be able to use it.

Angry and Frustrated.   

Expert

Hi agrassian - you're 100% right - you should not have to pay for support on this issue, because it was our fault. We're sorry for the confusion and please accept our apologies.

The firmware fix is actually quite easy to get running, but some network setups can be complex, so that can add to the frustration of having to do this. Fortunately, once the new firmware is installed properly, it offers improved performance.

The steps to update to the correct firmware are up on the front page of Answers. Anyone who has these symptoms after the last failed firmware update should read that first - if, after trying those steps, your PRO-HD still doesn't appear in your Slingbox Directory, or shows no network light on the front of the box (see attached graphic), just call us at (877) 467-5464 and mention the failed firmware update. Note that there will be no charge for support on this specific issue!

slingbox-lights-status.jpg

davejeffway

I have been calling your number and keep getting cut off (the firmware update on my Pro-HD failed and the network light won't turn on).  Can you post some steps to fix this since it is difficult to get through?

agrassian

Hi Dana,  Thanks very much for the reply.  Before you sent the message, I purchased/ordered a new power supply to see if that might help.

I waited to call until I received the new power supply.  After receiving it, I plugged it in and the Slingbox appeared to boot normally with the network and power light shining. 

I then followed the instructions on the Slingbox site (and from your post) just to make sure that the newest firmware was on the box.

I could see the Slingbox, but couldn't run through the setup procedure. 

I called Slingbox support, mentioned the issue, and was able to talk with someone after receiving a special, free one-time support ticket.  He did have to get permission first.  We ran through a few items (Ethernet cable lenght, PC firewall) but in the end, rebooting my PC fixed the problem.

Perhaps the information about the power supply fix for the 'no network light + firmware update issue' can be passed to technical support to assist people in the same position.

Thanks again, Aaron

Expert

Hello all (apologies if you've already read this elsewhere) - as per the announcement on the front page of Answers, we're aware of the issue that some PRO-HD's have had after the June 11th firmware update.

To fix this, we've transmitted a different software version to all Slingbox PRO-HD models. This version of the Slingbox PRO-HD internal software has been thoroughly tested and it offers improved performance. Looks like it's fixed most of you that have posted, but for those still having issues, read on...

For affected PRO-HD units, to complete this software installation, please:

1. Reset your Slingbox PRO-HD by briefly pressing the Reset button (on the Slingbox PRO-HD back panel).
                                          2. Allow 10 minutes for the software to install. Please do not interrupt the process! At times, the indicator lights may flash, while at other times there may be no apparent activity.
                                          3. After waiting 10 minutes, confirm that the Power and the Network lights glow steadily once again.
                                          4. Try connecting to your Slingbox as specified below.

Using your computer or mobile device, check to see:

• That your Slingbox PRO-HD appears in the Slingbox Directory;
                                          • That you are able to connect to your Slingbox PRO-HD and stream TV as normal.

If, after trying the above, your PRO-HD still doesn't appear in your Slingbox Directory, or shows no network light on the front of the box (see attached graphic), just call us at (877) 467-5464 and mention the failed firmware update.There is no charge for support on this specific issue!

Thanks,

The Sling Support Team

slingbox-lights-status.jpg

Morac Newbie

Everything is working for me, but I have 2.1.90, which is from last November. What is the latest firmware version?

Also since when has Slingbox update been automatic?  I thought it had to be done manually?

sjd101

I have gone from 2.1.190 to 2.1.90?  Is that the correct version?  Also what was the issue?  I was finding that I could not connect after a few days and had to reboot.  Very frustrating when I went on holiday few weeks ago

Expert

Hi - yes, 2.1.90 is the correct version! Previous version 2.1.190 had some bugs. You're good to go.

ebesore

Dana,

I am having the same issue.  My firmware shows on the support site that it was at Slingbox Software Version: 2.1.190 and now the network light no longer will stay on solid.

I called in mentioned the issue, and they got me a free support incident, spoke to someone, they had me do the over 30 second hard reset, and still the network light will not come on solid.

I have tried my home network and my work network, and it does the same thing.

The support tech told me my options were to buy a refurbished one at $150.  I don't feel that I should have to buy a new one since it was clearly working before the firmware update - and quit working the same week the firmware update occurred.

I called customer service and complained about the tech support as the supervisor was *extremely* rude and kept talking over me and said that there was no one else to talk to - that I would have to buy a refurbished one.  The tech said the at the firmware upgrade wasn't related to it no longer working - which seems like a pretty crazy coincidence.   Customer service offered to send me a new power supply for free, which still isn't here, even though it should have shipped weeks ago, I found out they had me street number and zip code completely wrong - this has been a nightmare.

This is my second slingbox, my first one I bought right when they came out, and then upgrade and bought a pro-hd and activated it 10/31/2009 - so this is a little over two years old.

Eric