10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2011 7:51 PM by mdhaus RSS

Cannot figure out how to configure router manually

mdhaus

I have a D-Link WBR1310 and there is no manual available in the Slingbox Internet Setup wizard to tell me what to do.  And all of the other D-Link manuals say that I need to go to a "Virtual Server" area, which I do not have....I just have a "Port Forwarding" area.

In that area, I do not have places to put all of the information that is supposedly necessary.  I've tried matching up what the Slingbox setup says to put in...but it fails.  And when I put in what the Slingbox is actually assigned on the network and then change it accordingly in the Slingbox setup, that fails, too.

Can someone PLEASE tell me what I am doing wrong.  I have room for the following categories in the Port Forwarding entry:  Name, IP Address, Port Start, Port End, and Traffic Type.

And that's it - I have no place to enter a subnet mask or default gateway.  Thank you...

• Re: Cannot figure out how to configure router manually
          loldo

Hi mdhaus,

Follow instructions in below link. That should do it.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/WBR-1310/SlingBox.htm

Thanks,

Kay

mdhaus

I actually saw that link when I did a Google search....and tried it. It doesn't work.  Everytime I do what it says and then "Test" it, I get that screen again that suggests that more tweaking is needed.

What's odd in that link is that it implies you only need a Name, IP address, and that port number in both port boxes.  But it still never works.... Very, very confused.

loldo

Do you know the ip address of your sling box? Is it set on DHCP or static?

Best thing would be set a static ip for your slingbox so it wont ever change.

And then set ports for that ip address. Can you confirm that is what you have tried?

mdhaus

I guess what confuses me is that when you are in the Slingbox set-up page, it tells you what information to enter.  But when I look on the Port Forwarding page and see what IP address has been assigned to the Slingbox by the router, it is a different address.  So I've tried to doing a port forward for the address that the Slingbox set-up provides...but it fails.  So I tried doing it for the the address that the Slingbox has been assigned (and used the Edit feature on the Slingbox set-up page to adjust the information)...but that fails, too.

As I said, the only fields that I have availabe in the Port Forwarding area are Name, IP address, two boxes that allow you to select what is connected (one is for the name and the other is to copy over what is actually connected to the router..this is how I can see what IP address the Slingbox has been assigned), a "starting" Port entry, an "ending" Port entry, and a Type (where you choose TCP or Any, etc.)

I don't have a spot for the Gateway or that other stuff.

So I don't know what else to do - I've tried entering both the IP address provided by Slingbox set-up and the one that is actually assigned, plus the port listing for both the starting and ending boxes (even leaving a 0 for the "ending" box, just to experiment) and yet it still fails.  Every time I test it, it just goes back to that "we noticed that a few more tweaks are necessary."

loldo

ok im guessing you are trying to setup remote viewing? and you can watch it on the home network successfully?

Only thing i can suggest is to setup remote viewing  manually. When you go to the setup your SlinBox for remote vewing pick manul Network

setup. In the ip address type in the ip address the slingbox that has been assigned by the router. Subnet Mask leave is as 255.255.255.0 unless

this is different. Then on default gateway, should be the ip address of your router.

Click on Next and make sure the port is set to "5001".

This should be the port that should be setup in your port forwading in your router along with ip address that has been assigned in the router for your slingbox.

And that should work as long as your firewall not blocking it.

If you need further  help please provide some screenshots of where you are having issues with.

Thanks,

Kay

mdhaus

Well, I tried it again and it's still failing.  I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong!

When I select the manual set-up option within the Internet Viewing set-up, it brings up an IP address, Gateway, Subnet Mask, and Port for me to enter into my router.

I uploaded a picture of what the entry area for my router looks like.

In the IP section, I place the exact number that the Slingbox set-up is telling me to put in.  I also check the box on the left side, put 5001 in both port boxes and leave the Type set to "Any."  I even tried changing it to TCP and that doesn't work either. I save the settings on my router, then select "Test" on the Slingbox set-up. It resets the Slingbox, then tests the internet viewing. It stays at 60% or so for about 30-seconds or so...and then brings me right back to the "We detected that settings need to be tweaked" page.

I even tried entering the IP address that the router assigned the Slingbox...and changed the info accordingly in Set-up....and it made no difference.  This is getting ridiculous!

loldo

In your screenshot, there is no ip address setup for portforwading. Its blank. You need to enter in the ip address assign to the sling box there and then

save your settings.

mdhaus

Yeah, I know that.....I just did a screen-grab of a partially filled out port-forwarding entry.  It was only meant to show you what the entry form looks like.

As I said, it doesn't matter if I put the IP address in there that Slingbox Set-up says needs to go in there - or if I put in the IP address that my router has assigned the Slingbox - It fails either way.

loldo

Hi Mdhaus,

Where are you located?

Just something else i picked up from your comment is, slingbox setup shouldn't be telling you what the ip address it should be. You need to enter in the ip address your self. This should alsways be the ip address that the your router has assigned the slingbox.

Just to make sure we are on the same page. Can you provide me the following screenshots.

1. screenshot of the assigned ruter ip address of the slingbox.

2. screenshot of port forwading of the ip address assigned to the slingbox.
                                          3. screenshot of the your slinbox setup with ip address of slingbox and port.

Thanks

mdhaus

Well, this is interesting...Now I can't even get the router to assign an IP address to the Slingbox to begin with.  When I look at what is on the network, it doesn't show up - Just my PC and my iPad, which is using the wireless network.

What's strange is that EVEN WHEN I AM ACTIVELY STREAMING FROM THE SLINGBOX, the Slingbox is not being assigned an IP address.  Why would that be?  Why did it just disappear?

I don't understand why this is so difficult...