2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2011 4:14 PM by Anniel RSS

Broadband Too Slow?

Anniel Newbie

We have sling box pro situated in London. The ISP is Sky and I have the maximum speed. Rang son connecting to the service in the Caribbean. The sling catcher we bought last year has never worked properly...picture breaks up etc. Now he tells me that using his laptop, the picture is breaking up and is not worth the bother.

I am going out there next week and before I leave I would like to do anything I can to improve the service.

Any suggestions or should I just accept that I have wasted a lot of money for a very inferior product...sling box, sling catcher and 2 little boxes which boost the signal (cannot remember the correct name)

Yours in frustration,

Ann

• Re: Broadband Too Slow?
          callanish Apprentice

The bottom line is if the ISP you are connected to is not up to par on the slingbox end with speed and stability, its not the slingbox's fault. I've been streaming from the U.K to the U.S 5000 miles away using Virgin Media as my ISP to a slingcatcher for the last two years and I rarely have had any picture quality issues. I'm sometimes running it for 4 -5 hours per day consistently, so personally I don't think the slingbox / slingcatcher is an inferior product, but there could be other variables for why you are getting a choppy picture and that usually points to broadband speeds, so the question is what actual upload speeds are you getting with SKY? If he's having problems with both the slingcatcher and the slingplayer as far as picture quality, then the first thing you need to eliminate is if the problem could possibly be on your end.

First, what are your upload speeds on SKY. I'd recommend an upload bandwidth test for your connection. The download speed isn't a factor with the slingbox; it's the upload speed.  Have you personally tried remote viewing on your own computer outside of your local network to see if you are also experiencing a slow or unstable picture quality with the slingbox while testing it outside of your house in the U.K? What sling video settings does he have running on his laptop? Could it be that the settings are incorrect for the amount of bandwidth he's getting. Are you running the slingcatcher's video quality at 320 X 240, 640 X 240, or 640 X 480. Could he be having latency problems with his own ISP in the Caribbean due to the distance from the U.K slowing down the upload speeds even further. Do you know what his sling streaming speeds are on his end while using the slingplayer or sling's webplayer while watching it on his laptop?

If you can answer these questions first to eliminate some of the possible causes, only then can you start to point the finger at the slingbox for being at the heart of the problem.

• Re: Broadband Too Slow?
              Anniel Newbie

Thank you Callanish,

I will check the upload speed and speak to Sky about it. The ironic thing is that I am only about 100 metres from the local telephone exchange and I cannot see any reason for slow uploads. I could swap to Virgin, but I stay with Sky because of the great telephone calls package I have as I have most of my family in Australia.

I will report back.

Ann