10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2011 8:38 PM by alinton RSS

Slingbox Solo not on network

alinton

Hi, my Slingbox Solo has been working perfectly for a year or so until a few days ago when it went offline.

The power light is on, no other lights. Pinging it is unsuccessful and the setup wizard doesn't find it.

I've tried resetting - but pressing and holding the button doesn't seem to do anything - no flashing lights etc.

I checked the power supply voltage - 5.02 volts on load.

Can someone help please?

Thanks

Andy

• Re: Slingbox Solo not on network
          andyf2000

Hi, I have exactly the same problem.

ACC483945

Hi , I have a similar problem but my slingplayer will recognise my slingbox on the network via the slinglinks but won't connect as the network light is constantly off & won't even flash & then go off if u turn all devices off then on again to reboot.

Can't understand why technically being detected over the internet but clearly looks like the slingbox is not connected to the network.Done all the usual "reboot" procedures but no joy.

According to slingmedia my connection status is "critical" on my slingbox?

HELP!!!!!?  

Stu

alinton

According to Sling's tech support its a problem with the power supplies. Another poster said that after I mentioned this he tried another 5v PSU and same results, but when he upped the voltage it started working.

I suspect therefore that the 5v power supplies supplied aren't quite up to the job; If (as is usual) the circuitry inside required 5v and has an on-board regulator, that will need a supply higher than 5.6v.

Sling are sending me a new PSU (pretty good of them, since the box is 13 months old - 2 year warranty in Europe), so it'll be interesting to see the spec of them.

I'm an electronics engineer, and if I couldn't get a PSU off them, I would at this stage try a 6 or 7 volt one and see what happens. It would have to be capable of about 2A at least - the stock ones say 4A but I can't see how the box needs 4A. Don't blame me though if you try that and it damages your box!

JohnBird

I sent my computer in for the replacement of the keyboard and for some odd reason they erased my hard drive! Good news, bad news.

The good news was that I had all my infomation backed up with Carbonite. The bad news is that literally takes 'days' to get one's information back from Carbonite. (They don't tell you this in the ads!)  BUT, I got it back!

Probleme is that now my sling box won't connect to my my TV, not that I use it that much but it would be nice to have it working again. 

johardman

Same problem - perhaps coincidence, but happened after I updated to the latest plugin - so seems to make no sense why this would be (unlikely link?).

Doesn't even seem to want to reset and I've tested the internet connection.

Thanks

JoH

alinton

I'm happy to report that when my replacement power supply arrived from Sling, it worked perfectly!

So despite evidence to the contrary, this issue IS a power supply problem.

Well done Sling, on diagnosing and sending me the new PSU free of charge.

Andy.

bangman

So what is the official Slingbox stand on this:

I have a Pro in Europe and a Pro-HD in Aruba.

Both have worked perfectly until a few days ago.

Now I only have the light in the power and nothing else. Will not reset. Have tried all the options and am pretty good with networks, so the problem is not there.

It seems almost too much of a coincidence that a several year old Pro would do this at the same time as an almost brand new Pro-HD on the other side of the world, so the Power supply thing sound very doubtful, except for the fact that one guy here solved it that way.

I am really looking forward to an official stand/answer from Slingbox.

alinton

There do seem to be a few people on here moaning about the fault where the LAN light is out, only power light is on, and the unit is off network and will not reset.

Well, its quite clear now, after talking to Sling, that these symptoms point to a faulty power supply.

I too was doubtful about this, as the power supply measures OK. Well, it measures 5v - I must look at the new one.

However - Sling told me it was the PSU, they sent me a new one free (my SOLO is 13 months old) and it works fine now.

So rather than complaining on here about this fault, perhaps people should just accept that it is a PSU problem, however unlikely it sounds, contact Sling and obtain a new one.

Simple.

Andy.

johardman

Solved with a new power supply - bizarre but true.

alinton

Problem diagnosed by Sling as a faulty power supply, new one supplied and works fine.