6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2011 6:37 PM by tsailipu Branched to a new discussion. RSS

iPad Support for older models (classic)?

tsailipu

Really frustrating to not have iPad support for older models of Slingbox. Many countries outside US don't sell newer models, either. While you stand to charge $30 for the app from every user, why drop the ball on such a large group of users? Really incomprehensible a business practice to alienate your your user base like this.... A consumer product company can only succeed when its product offerings care foremost about its consumers.

Really frustrating to see this from Slingbox.  Is it at all possible for the app to finally support older models? Even if supported resolution then cannot be as great as iPad could allow, why not a compatibility mode that I am sure isn't hard at all to incorporate in a $30 app?  Thanks.

• Re: iPad Support for older models (classic)?
          dbsguy Apprentice

It's clearly stated on the iPad app that only the solo and pro hd units are supported. It furthermore goes on to state that the older units are simply not compatible nor supported. Something to the effect that you MUST have a solo or pro hd unit in order to use the app.

At any rate it is also clearly stated that sling media considers the older legacy units (tuner, classic, a/v, and pro) simply don't have the processing power needed to function with the ipad app in the manner it was designed from a software and hardware standpoint.

I do believe it is mostly based on their marketing and business model as to why they truely don't support older products as they simply could not continue to operate if they didn't continue to evolve and resell new products when functionality changes.

Bottom line is that your barking to deaf ears.......

alanrichey42 Master

I get a perfectly acceptable picture from my Classic on the iPAD by using the iPhone app at x2.

Al

tsailipu

Hey,

Thanks for the replies.  I almost forgot to follow up. Didn't really want to spend more time typing at a place that doesn't respond to customers.... But just saw two more replies here.

Anyhow, the main complaint about the SlingPlayer iPad app, contrary to your initial claim on behalf of them (since you don't work there, don't know what's the use even typing these), is that if you try to buy the app in the iTunes Store, you have to be careful to click "More" in the Descriptions of the app in order to see the finer prints _at the last line/section_ saying that the iPad app works only with the new model.  If they are really "clear" as you are claiming for them, they should make it the _first_ line and preferrably in bold or red color -- after all, only existing customers would buy this app; it's not like they have much selling concerns except to trick you into buying the apps first.  It's just bad business intention and practice in not making it "clear" and warn existing users.

Anyway, I complained to Apple; Apple agrees and refunds my iPad app purchase.  There goes my follow-up.   At least I am glad I am an Apple's customer.

dbsguy Apprentice

I'm sorry, I only had the patience to find and attach 5 times in which they clearly state the requirements.

Now you'd have a ligitimate excuse if you were blind.

tsailipu

It's OK.  You found these through the website; great work in attaching these for future visitors to see.

I was referring to their iPad app description as seen through the "AppStore."  Search for it through iPad or iPhone AppStore and you will find what I am referring to as you have to click "More" to see all these.