8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2012 6:36 PM by jamesmccourt RSS

sling catcher

3475fr

Is sling catcher gone for good or will it be replaced

• Re: sling catcher
          malik999

I am a slingcatcher owner and just realized the slingcatcher appears to have been discontinued.   I am a bit confused.

1)  Why has it been discontinued?

2)  Is there a alternatiive?.

If my Slingcatcher fails.  I will end up selling my Slingbox because a Slingbox is no use to me without a Slingcatcher. I am really shocked to read its gone

callanish Apprentice

Slingcatcher has been discontinued in North America, but available in other countries. That might be due to overstock and will eventually become discontinued like the North American version. It depends on how badly you want a slingcatcher. You can still find them on E-bay for extortionate amounts of money, but I can't believe Sling has abandoned the catcher concept entirely, I just think they are retooling it in finding partners by using third party hardware with sling's software ( google tv, etc ). Just hasn't happened yet and we're all in limbo till it does, because, in my opinion, there's no way we're getting a slingcatcher 2.0.

msul

Sling box without sling catcher is useless in my opinion.

callanish Apprentice

That opinion is entirely subjective. If all you do is watch your slingbox either at home sending the stream from one TV to another or sending programming half way around the world to your big screen tv, then the slingcatcher is invaluable as a home tool and if its an option between a P.C connected to my T.V or a slingcatcher, I'd choose the slingcatcher, but that's only one use for it.

Anyone mobile, on the go, or stuck in a hotel room would completely disagree with you when they have the convenience of firing up their P.C, MAC, IPAD or mobile phone to watch their home programming on the road while they travel. You'll find a lot more people using their slingbox without a slingcatcher than those that do. The slingcatcher had a relatively short life, so if everyone thought the way you did, we'd have a 2.0 hardware version out for sale due to the demand. The fact that the product was discontinued in North America and slingbox continues to sell plenty of its other products tells me others have found a lot of uses for their slingbox without a slingcatcher.

ACC118243

So I agree with Callanish in that the whole 'Sling' setup depends on what you want to do with the product.

I started with the SOLO to access PVR's content while travelling on business when service providers hadn't developed web based re-runs or the ability to access your TV remotely. I still do this ocassionally but I also added a Sling Catcher to watch TV in a 2nd room, now I want to add a 3rd TV and didn't realize the Catcher had gone - Grrrrr

Is there an alternative solution from SlingMedia, if so can we mix-n-match solutions so I can continue to use the catcher?

Thanks in advance.

Tim N

msul

I think they discontinued SC b/c now the sling box is meant to work with a very modern internet ready television so they sling box has been replaced with something compatible with that.  I think believe it is very expensive though.  I just briefly read something about it.  I still use my sling catcher but it is not by far a perfect system and sling box doesn't even support it anymore.

callanish Apprentice

...but sling never thought things through when they abandoned the slingcatcher and left us all in limbo. The connected devices were supposed to be the next evolution of the slingcatcher with sling only having to worry about the software side of things and allow a third party handle the hardware side. The problem has been, that as of this point, there are only three platforms available for connected devices and they are all buggy and unstable. Google tv, boxee and wdtv live and I've now tried them all and they don't hold a candle to the slingcatcher, so it might have been too expensive to manufacture a slingcatcher 2.0, but so far sling's attempts to make connected devices just work consistently like the slingcatcher has been a bit of a disaster.

The slingcatcher might be a bit long in the tooth by technological standards, but it's still the best solution for viewing when it comes to convenience ( the hardware remote) and in my case stability with watching a remote stream from my slingbox on a big screen tv.

jamesmccourt Novice

I agree completely. The SlingCatcher works great for me.

I use an HDS-600RS (Echostar- SlingLoaded) and that isn't even compatible with any of the connected devices! However, trusty SlingCatcher works brilliantly.

I think some kind of Sling receiver to allow remote viewing using a hardware remote again would be fantastic. In the meantime I have a spare SlingCatcher just in case my first one breaks!