12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2012 8:07 PM by BobShanghai RSS

Slingcatcher will not respond to the remote

robin@sanders.plus.com

Suddenly my slingcatcher will not respond to the remote.

Batteries OK

Sling button flashers when buttons pressed

Remote works fine with TV

So I guess the problem is with the slingcatcher.

What can I do now?

• Re: Slingcatcher will not respond to the remote
          malik999

Same problem here assuming you have no power lights.  I strongly suspect its the PSU.  Alot appear to be failing.  Ive ordered a replacement today.  Hope this helps

robin@sanders.plus.com

Even more strange.

Disconnected the SlingCatcher from the PSU last night (with the psu still plugged into the mains) and left it for 8 hours.

This morning the SlingCatcher is working OK again.

I had previously disconnected the PSU but only for a minute or two.

Is the time significant?

Is this a temporary stay of execution for a failing product?

callanish Apprentice

I don't think you have a failing unit; I think its more of a flash memory issue. I've experienced the same problem where the remote can become either extremely slow or frozen to react. A reboot usually does the job, but I ended up leaving mine off for 24 hours at one point because I was doing some power plug rearranging behind the tv. After reboot, everything about the slingcatcher was faster from connection to remote changing speed. My guess is its not failing, just temperamental requiring you to boot it up now and then. Now, if its happening everyday, then that's different, but once it a while is the norm for me.

robin@sanders.plus.com

Now I'm in a bad mood.

slingcatcher worked OK for about 6 hours.

Now back again to no response to the remote so I can't connect to the slingbox. I've disconnected again and will retry in the morning, but this clearly is not going away without therapy (either me or the SlingCatcher).

So what do I do now?

robin@sanders.plus.com

Ok so I went through the same ritual:

Disconnected the SlingCatcher from the PSU (with the psu still plugged into the mains) and left it for 8 hours.

This morning the SlingCatcher is working OK again.

So, does anybody have any ideas on how I sort this out?

callanish Apprentice

I'm sorry to say, if the problem happens again, which it probably will, you're not going to get a quick solvable answer here from the forum. Yours has to be a hardware problem with the slingcatcher and it looks like its faulty, so your options are limited. You can call up sling support, send that one in for repair and they would probably offer you a replacement for a reduced price ( They still have some in stock even though the product is discontinued in North America ). Purchase another one off of Ebay, hook it up, if it works without remote issues after a period of time, then you are in business and know its a hardware problem with your original slingcatcher........but if you continue to experience the same remote control issue, you know you've got something else going on ( can't see that being the case though), so then just sell the new one back on ebay and hope that sling, sooner rather than later, finally makes a deal with third party hardware manufacturers allowing the slingbox software to work with someone else's hardware, thus doing away with the slingcatcher entirely. Like I said, I don't thing anyone can offer you advice that will provide a magic solution to your problem.

robin@sanders.plus.com

After a few nights of the ritual, the SlingCatcher has finally decided to never to respond to the remote ever again. Yep, it now looks like a hardware problem.

Does anybody know how I go about getting it repaired?

Apprentice

Hi, robin@sanders.plus.com

Since you want to know how to get the repair option for the SlingCatcher, I encourage you to check this link and follow the recommendations.

Sling Media Paid Support Offerings

Regards

BobShanghai Newbie

Did anyone resolve the remote control failure?

My 'catcher started to play up the other day, red light flashes on the 'catcher every time I press a button , but it does not actually do anything -- correctly - see below).

I changed the batteries in the remote, but no go.

I noticed that if I reboot the 'catcher (not a full reset), then it does respond to the remote, in so much that any key pressed is considered to be a CH+ key

The 'catcher starts to receive my Slingbox and picture/sound are fine, pressing power off causes a CH+, (in fact every key causes a CH+).

So, is this a remote problem, or a 'catcher problem? That is the big question.

The 'catcher was brand new sealed box about 7 months ago, so I guess it is still under manufacturer warranty.

Would appreciate any ideas. If I do a full reset, can I find my boxes again? I am 6000miles away from them, so not on their local LAN.

Bob

BobShanghai Newbie

Well, with a bit of playing around, I think I have found out what is happening.

The infra-red receiver seems to have become too sensitive. I don't know why.

If I cover the front of the 'catcher with a piece of white paper, then it responds correctly to the remote control.

Likewise, if I put the 'catcher in bright sunlight, it also works fine. But if I use it in a dark room, then it does not respond correctly to the remote. I guess the bright sunlight swamps the receiver, making it less sensitive to the IR transmission.

All a bit strange, but at least it works.

Also, as an experiment, I programmed the remote so that it would control my Bravia TV. This works fine, implying that the remote is not at fault.

I might pull the skin off the 'catcher and look at reducing the ir receiver gain. But I suppose sticking a bit of toilet paper (unused!) over the receiver is an easier solution!

Bob