3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2011 4:15 AM by dbsguy RSS

Slingplayer crashes at launch

johnnykao

Hi,

I've installed Slingplayer Desktop for Windows on several PCs without any problem watching my Slingbox classic away from home.  On one computer running Windows Vista Home Premium, Slingplayer crashes every time at launch.  I noticed that at launch, Slingplayer runs auto updates, and that's where it crashes.  If I disabled my internet connection, Slingplayer would start fine.  Then, I reconnected my internet and would be able to watch.  However, if I click "Check Updates..." on the menu, it would crash.  So, it seems that the auto update process is the problem.  How can I fix this?  I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times, and have gone through the registry to make sure all "slingxxx" registers had been removed before reinstalling, but nothing worked.

By the way, the webplayer on IE and Firefox crashes the browsers as well.

Thanks,

Johnny

• Re: Slingplayer crashes at launch
          Apprentice

Hi, johnnykao

I understand that you are having some issues with the Slingbox in one of your computers that runs Windows Vista Home Premium as the OS.

In this case, the issue seems to be related to that specific computer. Otherwise, you would get the same behavior on all of your computers. With this in mind, I recommend you to check the following link in order to verify if that computer meets the requirements for the Slingbox you have.

Tech Specs for the Slingbox SOLO

Tech Specs for the Slingbox PRO HD

As another option, you can try to check if the security software might be affecting this connection in any way. The following link will provide you with some recommendations to follow.

Internet security and personal firewalls

Regards

• Re: Slingplayer crashes at launch
              johnnykao

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.  I know that my PC is definitely capable of running the Slingplayer because it used to be fine with the older version of Slingplayer.  Also, as I said, if I disable my network connection first before launching Slingplayer and then enable my connection, the it works fine.  The problem that I'm experiencing is that it crashes almost immediately upon launch, and it crashes on the player or the plug-in for IE and Firefox.

It seems that the player crashes when it tries to run an online autoupdate or something that it's doing before making the actual connection to the Slingbox.  And, somehow, by disabling the connection first, then launch the player (it would give a messsage about needing to connect to internet in order to log in), enable the internet connection, then log in to my account, it would then work fine.  It seems that doing this would bypass whatever that's causing the crash.  Andy by looking at the display messages on the player during launch, it looks like it's trying to run an auto-update, which is why I suspect that's causing the problem.

I'm not sure if any one has experienced this problem, but I've spent several hours trying different ways (and the above was the only way I found to get it to work).  It's very frustrating.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Johnny