10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2011 1:06 PM by callanish RSS

Watching UK TV In USA

fhscot

hello

My Brother in Law now lives in the USA and he contacted me regarding watching UK TV in Florida with a Slingbox through my PC/Router. As I dont know anything about "Slingbox",can anyone tell me the set-up procedure (and if applicable software) on both sides of the atlantic        

Thanks

Freddy                                                         

• Re: Watching UK TV In USA
          callanish Apprentice

basically you attach a slingbox to your cable box / sat box. You use the sling software on your PC to setup your router / modem to work with your slingbox. You tell the slingbox setup program what cable box / sat box you are using. You create an account with sling. Your brother in law signs into that account and either connects to your slingbox through his internet browser using a plugin or downloads the sling player software.

If you are watching something at the same time as he is, he is forced to watch what you are watching or you will get into a long distance remote fight over channel changing. The alternative is to setup another cable box with that slingbox in your home so there aren't any viewing clashes or see my P.S comments below. The other thing you need to make sure of is that you have a steady and fast enough upload speed on the U.K side to provide him with a good enough picture in Florida, and make sure your internet service provider doesn't have any bandwidth restrictions as you can use quite a bit of MB's through streaming. If you've got the option, a DVR is pretty crucial on your end so that things can be recorded and watched by him when you aren't on the cable box avoiding any time issues with him in Florida. The other option, that I use, but is becoming harder to find, although still available to him on places like Ebay due to it being discontinued, is for him to purchase a slingcatcher, hook that up to his tv in the U.S and allow him to watch your slingbox directly through his TV controlling it all with a hardware remote rather than the hassle of watching through a PC and connecting that to his TV.

You might want to spend a bit of quality time on the forums and F.A.Q learning about the fundamentals of the slingbox to know if its something you want to do, because the onus will be on your end to set it up and keep it running. Basically, he'll get all the benefits while you get all the responsibility of maintaining it as you probably won't have much use for it unless you do a lot of travelling and have access to the internet where ever you are to get some watching time out of it for yourself.

P.S since you posted this to the Pro-HD slingbox forum, the Pro-HD has a separate tuner to allow a separate connection for something like freeview. That way, he can watch something while you aren't being bothered, but he will be restricted to just the basic channels that freeview provides.

fhscot

Hi Callanish

Thanks a Lot for your informative and prompt reply

Freddy

callanish Apprentice

You're welcome. Good luck on whatever direction you decide to go in.

LTM

fhscot

Hi Callanish

Because the slingbox has built-in Freeview,does this mean I can plug in my terrestrial aerial for a signal without connecting any leads to my freesat box giving my brother in law all the freeview content from my area (Hope i'm making myself clear)

Just one more question,I have a capped bandwidth rate of 20 Gb a month,whats the average bandwidth usage per hour on SD streaming

Many thanks again

Freddy

callanish Apprentice

In a nutshell, yes, you can connect to the slingbox's coax input using your terrestrial aerial and let it do a search for all the freeview channels available, but what I read from this slashgear review is that there is no EPG through that freeview tuner connection. If you can use another separate freeview box connected to the second tuner, then you would get him the tv guide. Maybe that's been changed since the sept 2010 review, but I'm not sure.

http://www.slashgear.com/slingbox-pro-hd-freeview-review-23103787/

Does that bandwidth cap include both download and upload? I remember the last time I added up my bandwidth usage when I was on a 768 kbs upload connection and I was using about 330mb's per hour of slingbox use. You can do the math according to your speeds, but in my case if I had a 20GB cap, I'd use up your limits in around 60 hours. If he's using it a lot, might want to get the brother in law to contribute to your bandwidth costs.

• Watching UK TV In USA 2
                              fhscot

Hello Callanish

I would appreciate if you could help me with a problem

My brother in law and I went for the Slingbox Pro as he is'nt bothered about having HD,So it came today for me to set it up,

On the setting up stage, it finds the box asks me to name it the and enter a password and confirm when I get to the "Video Source" part, it scans for channels (Digital Antenna) and come up with "The slingbox admin password is incorrect please re-enter",which I  duly do, only to find it goes back to the start,and does it all over again and again (ad infinitum) what and where is the admin password?

I cant configure the box any further than the "scan for channels" bit

Thank You

Freddy

PS I've reset it a couple of times

• Re: Watching UK TV In USA 2
                                  callanish Apprentice

Were you using the web based slingbox setup or slingbox's client software when you originally tried setting this up. Reason I ask is there seems to be some firewall security issues with the web based slingbox setup causing the software to deny admin access. Also, I noticed others were having issues with a wireless connection when setting up their slingbox which forced them to have to directly connect an ethernet cable from their P.C to their router in order to successfully complete the setup. For reference, the default login and password is admin.

Look at this thread. It kind of refers to what you are going through.

https://community.sling.com/message/20917#20917

Here's the location to the slingbox desktop software

http://support.slingbox.com/go/windows-download-desktop-us

Looked this up, it's a global version, not just a U.S version, so you should be able to use it.

download the desktop player, reset the slingbox again and use the client software to go through the installation process.

That's my best guess so far.

Sling recommends using the web based sling setup to install your slingbox, but that hasn't always been successful for some, so try the desktop software first and see if that solves your problem.

lamkwm

Just returned from there and my I Pad worked great with the Echostar HDS-600RS.  Watched all the channels available in the Glasgow area c/w subtitles.  You can also record etc but I did not want to get such complications as this was my first trial.

Be aware as I don't know for sure but believe if he uses it remotely it takes over if you happen to be watching the Echostar (which is a 500 Gb Sat PVR).  I have it set up next to my Router so it does not interfere with normal household TV watching.

fhscot

Many thanks guys, its up and running streaming to the US of A at 500kbps

Freddy