1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 8, 2011 2:16 PM by cristina RSS

Using UVerse to host a Slingbox for an expat

brownsw

My generous sister has agreed to set up a Slingbox for me to use while living out of the country. Sounds like it should work fine, but some of the details on how to set it up and how it will work are still eluding me, especially since I'm not familiar with U-Verse. Specifically, once we get her a new U-Verse set-top box, do we have to connect it through an extra TV? Seems like there should be a way to bypass that, but I'm not familiar with TV cables, hubs, etc. Specific instructions would be most appreciated!

Also, it sounds like the new STB inputs to her existing DVR. When I am using the Slingbox, do I have access only to the programs recorded through the STB connected to the Slingbox, or to anything on her DVR? (We often watch the same shows and I don't want to hog space on the DVR by recording something she's also recorded using another STB if I don't have to.)

Any other advice from people doing something similar is welcome! Thanks all.

• Re: Using UVerse to host a Slingbox for an expat
          Novice

Hi brownsw.

I see that you have some questions before installing your new Slingbox, let me help you with that.

The Slingbox needs to be connected to an AV source and to a router in order for it to stream audio and video over the Internet.

Once we get her a new U-Verse set-top box, do we have to connect it through an extra TV?

It is not necessary to connect a TV to the new cable box in order for you to view the Slingbox content, however it might be needed while troubleshooting the AV source.

Do I have access only to the programs recorded through the STB connected to the Slingbox, or to anything on her DVR? (We often watch the same shows and I don't want to hog space on the DVR by recording something she's also recorded using another STB if I don't have to.)

If your Slingbox will be connected to the DVR, you will be able to watch and record programs using the DVR options on the remote. However, if your Slingbox is only connected to a separate set top box, you will only receive the content available from that device.

You can use the following link to retrieve the instructions on how to connect the Slingbox to your AV source:

Connecting a video source to your Slingbox SOLO

I hope that helps.

Regards.