1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 4, 2011 11:24 AM by ranaleon RSS

Do I need a SlingLink?

rangers24

Hi,

I just have a quick question regarding the SlingLink--

I am interested in buying a Slingbox PRO-HD so that I can watch the programming from the cable box at my house at college.  The only thing is that the cable box (comcast HD-DVR) that I would hook the slingbox up to is in a different room and pretty far away from the wireless modem and router that my house runs on.  My basic question is: do I need a slinglink in this scenario? If there is a phone jack in the same room as the cable box is the slinglink even necessary?  I'm pretty confused as to how this stuff works so I'm not sure exactly what I would need and what would provide me with the best quality picture.

Thanks

• Re: Do I need a SlingLink?
          Apprentice

Hi, rangers24

I understand that you want to know if you need the SlingLinks in order to get the connection between the Slingbox and the home router.

As a matter of fact, if the Slingbox (attached to the cable box) and the router are located in different rooms, you might need to use the SlingLinks.  You only need to make sure that both rooms go into the same electrical circuit. Otherwise, the SlingLinks will not work since they will work with your home wiring system.

You can also use a wireless bridge as a second option. In this case, you wouldn't need to worry about the home circuitry, since the Slingbox will get the router's wireless signal through the wireless bridge. The following links will provide you with all the information about the SlingLinks and how they work.

SlingLink TURBO

How it Works

When your Slingbox and your computer are in different rooms

Regards