7 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2011 5:18 PM by ukulele14 RSS

Speed problems

ukulele14

My internet speed is about 8 Mbs but when I connect to my sling box I am only getting between 100-400 kbs.  What is going on?  This is when I am at my office.  My home connection on the LAN tops out at about 8mbs, but when I am at my office the data transfer rate is so slow.  Any help please.

• Re: Speed problems
          callanish Apprentice

Just checking, but are you mistaking your download speed for your upload speed at your slingbox location, because whatever your upload speed is at your home connection; that's what the slingbox uses to stream to the office remotely. Using your slingbox at home will produce faster bandwidth speeds through the router, but slinging remotely will be limited by the upload speed of your ISP.

ukulele14

Oh, Ok so the bottle neck is the upload speed from my isp from my home location

so i need to get that increased

callanish Apprentice

Yes sir, that would be my advice. Do a speed test at home just to check the upload speed. I'd say if you can get anything close to a 1mb upload speed from your home isp provider streamed to your office computer, then I think you'd be happy with the picture quality. I, at one point, was getting around 700kbps from my slingbox to a pc remotely and I still found the picture pretty good, but with faster upload speeds comes better streaming picture quality.

ukulele14

My upload is close to 600 kbs from home, but the data transfer rate remotely is still at between 150-250 kbs.  I am going to try to get it up closer to 1.0 mbs but shouldn't i still be getting closer to 400 or 500 kbs at my office now.  Anything else I can try to improve it?

callanish Apprentice

You're absolutely right. You should be getting at least 500kbs + from the slingbox. Any way to do a check from someplace else outside of the office to see if the slower speed is bottlenecked there.

......and just out of curiousity, how did you originally setup your slingbox. When you got to the port forwarding step in the setup software, did you use manual port forwarding or automatic UPNP. Reason I ask is that some people were having trouble ( I was ) getting the maximum speed out of their slingbox due to the stream type. Some were having issues with a TCP stream and others were having issues with a SNATT stream. Not saying this is the problem, but it couldn't hurt to investigate. Do you know what type of stream you are running on the slingbox. ( to find out stream type, hold down alt.shift.i on the keyboard if you are using the slingplayer software and you should be able to check stream type with the CTRL key held down while clicking the webplayer video to find out the webplayer info stats. ) My first guess is it could be your home router for why the slingbox can't stream at its maximum. Not saying there is anything wrong with it, but if everything is okay normally with your upload speeds at home ( close to 600kbs)  and nothing is restricting you at the office, then I'm just wondering if your router, due to the original slingbox setup, might have something to do with it. It could be worth looking at the port forwarding side to your slingbox setup to see if it makes a difference.

Maybe someone from sling can troubleshoot your problem with some other advice, because you should at least be getting 75% of your upload speed, if not more, to your office PC. Before I upgraded, I was running at an upload speed of 768kbs, but I was still getting 710kbs to my slingcatcher and that was 5000 miles away from my slingbox, so something doesn't add up on your end and just going straight to your Internet service provider and getting a faster upload speed doesn't guarantee you that it'll solve your problem. Nothing worse than doing that and still finding out you still have the same slow streaming speeds to the office.

So, for now I'd follow this thread to see if others can provide maybe another suggestion. Also, wait to see if someone from Sling can advise you on what to try....and no harm in looking into what you can actually get from your ISP as far as upload speeds. Make sure your router has the latest firmware. Check the port forwarding on your router through the sling setup and see how you originally setup the box. Do a search on the forum for other suggestions similar to your problem, and if you have to, do a hard reset on the slingbox, go through the setup process again and see if altering the port forward settings affects the streaming speeds.

That's about the best I can come up with.

ukulele14

Thanks for your response!  My stream type is TCP.  I will check my setup when I get home and see what else I can do.  I will continue to search this forum for similar issues.  Thanks for your help.  What type of port changes should I make?  Any suggestions.

callanish Apprentice

I'd try a different port rather than the standard 5001. I wonder if your ISP is throttling your upload speeds on 5001. Try 443 or 80. Maybe even try using UDP for port forwarding or try turning port forwarding off entirely to see if you can connect using SNATT ( that'll kill your ability to connect to your slingbox through a mobile phone or a slingcatcher, but it should still allow a P.C to connect ) and see if it that changes your remote receiving speed at the office any. In other words, do a hard reset and when going through the setup online or through the slingplayer software turn off port forwarding and see if you can connect through a UDP stream. Worth a shot and if you've tried these things, you can eliminate port forwarding as an issue and move on to trying something else.

Also, I'd post a help question on the forum at http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/. The moderators and users over there were the one's that handled sling's user problems before sling took over that duty for themselves. I could be sending you down a road that goes nowhere, so they might have something more constructive to suggest in dealing with your slow upload speed issue.