1 Reply Latest reply: May 25, 2011 8:21 AM by chakkarinen RSS

Help - Internet viewing outside my home network.

jairific

Hello, I've looked everywhere for a solution and have found no answers. I recently purchased a Slingbox PRO-HD. I did the whole setup and everything worked fine up until it came time to set up for internet viewing. It tells me I need to make changes to my router. I follow the on screen instructions to forward the ports on my 2wire 2701HG-B. Afterwards i go back and test it and it tells me the same thing again. I've followed the instructions from multiple sites on port forwarding and made sure over and over that i am doing it correctly yet everytime i try to set up internet viewing it tells me i need to configure my router and wont let me get beyond that point. I have no other router/network adapter or anything between my slingbox and the router. Just the 2wire 2701HG-B provided by atnt connected directly through an ethernet cable. I can watch the slingbox fine through any computer in my home network but since it wont let me set up the internet viewing i cant view it from any outside network. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

• Re: Help - Internet viewing outside my home network.
          chakkarinen Apprentice

Well, I tried to find the manual for your router online, and the only ones I found do not give any instructions on how to assign a static IP local address to your Slingbox. As I read it, your manual implies that the router can only assign IPaddresses dynamically.  I think you first need to assign a static IP address to your Slingbox, and then forward port 5001 to that assigned static IP address.   But, as I read your online manual, if a device (like a computer) wants a static IP address, then the device itself must select its own static IP address.   This is a straightforward thing to do on a computer, but I am not aware if, or how, the Slingbox can assign its own static IP address.   So you might first want to check with your router manufacturer if they have a firmware update that allows the router to assign static IP addresses.   Then, once you are able to assign a static IP address to your Slingbox, then forward port 5001 to that static IP address.  Then reboot the router and the Slingbox, and hopefully it will allow you to view it outside the home network.