7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2014 5:54 PM by ronlpll RSS

Individually changing channels

glennhm

I have a Slingbox Pro. How do I control the channels individually on the viritual remote control on my mac and the real one. I want to view different channels on my TV and Mac.

-Anyone?

Glenn

• Re: Individually changing channels
          ronlpll

The Slingbox Pro HD works great if you want to watch your cable on your computer or on a remote tv tied into your computer.  But there are a few things they don’t tell you in any of the details.  Even though the Slingbox has a dual tuner what they don’t tell you is that you have to either have a dual tuner cable box or a separate cable box for your tv and the Slingbox.  Otherwise you have to watch the same station on both your TV and computer. The other thing you need to check is that if you are using separate tuners make sure the remotes use separate IR signals.  The Slingbox uses IR sensors to control your cable box and if both remotes use the same IR signal when you try to change channels it changes both units.  I planned on using the unit so I can watch to separate stations but both of my cable boxes use the same IR signal therefore if I try to change the channel on one unit they both change channels.  I have not been able to figure out a way to watch two separate channels.

glennhm

How do i "make sure" that my remote is not on the same frequenzy? And how do I know if my TV box has a dual tuner?

jpn0815

I'd be curious if you ever found a solution to your cable boxes using the same IR signal.  I have the same issue.

ronlpll

I deleted the Slingbox program from my computer.  I then reloaded version SingPlayer_ 2.0.4522_ Setup-Global.exe.  Configure your boxes in the setup procedure.  When you see one of the boxes on your screen go to the bottom of the screen and click on an icon that kind of looks like a star.  One of you choices will be source.  Click on the one you want depending on how you have the boxes hooked up.  This will allow you to watch one of the boxes while someone else can watch the other box.  Let me know if you have a problem.

ronlpll

You can find out if you cable box has a dual tuner by calling you cable company or looking up the make and model on the internet.  To determine if you cable boxes have individual IR signals try changing the channels on each box with each control. If both controls change the satation they have the same IR code.

glennhm

great, thanks!

IF it is dual..how do I change channel on my computer without changing it locally on the cable box?

ronlpll

I am not sure but I think if you have a dual tuner cable box you will have two separate outputs.  For example you would hook one output (ie coax) into the coax input of the Slingbox and the other output (ie component cables) into the component input of the Slingbox.  Then you can pic the source you want to control with your computer on the SlingBox site.  You have to be in the "pop up player" under  "watch" on the Slingbox web sit to change sources.  If  you do not have a dual tuner and are using two separate cable boxes and they have the same IR signals I have figured a way to watch separate channels on each box.  Let me know if you need that info.