3 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2011 4:32 AM by marcusmaranhao RSS

How to import .bin remote file to Slingbox with Slingplayer plugin instead of desktop application

marcusmaranhao

Hi,

As the subject of this discussion says, I am trying to import .bin files for a remote into the Slingplayer plugin instead of the Slingplayer desktop application.

It seems that all of the instructions floating around assume that you have the Slingplayer desktop application.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Marcus

• Re: How to import .bin remote file to Slingbox with Slingplayer plugin instead of desktop application
          alanrichey42 Master

You can't.   Sling removed that functionality when they "upgraded" from the standalone Slingplayer to the web-based system.

But installing Slingplayer is very easy, what is your objection to doing that ?

• Re: How to import .bin remote file to Slingbox with Slingplayer plugin instead of desktop application
              marcusmaranhao

Hi Alan,

I don't have any objection.  It is just that I did not know that the .bin remotes could not be imported with the Slingplayer plugin.

So I went ahead and installed the Slingplayer 1.0.10 for Mac on my Mac, and followed the instructions.  Things worked perfectly.  I am able to use the remote you built with Slingplayer 1.0.10.  I then went ahead and used the Slingplayer plugin, and I am also able to use the remote with the plugin.

For what it is worth, when I was still tinkering with the Slingbox (before you clarified things for me), I tried to build a remote from scratch using Slingbox's http://betaremotes.slingbox.com.  Spent a tremendous amount of time (since somehow most of the times it takes a long time for their program to process the IR signal received from the remote control used for training) and in the end it still did not work.

From what I have seen in this forum you are a fantastic help to everyone.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Marcus

alanrichey42 Master
                  So I went ahead and installed the Slingplayer 1.0.10 for Mac on my Mac, and followed the instructions.  Things worked perfectly.  I am able to use the remote you built with Slingplayer 1.0.10.  I then went ahead and used the Slingplayer plugin, and I am also able to use the remote with the plugin.

Good, glad I could help.    And just for info, when you installed that remote you actually downloaded it to the Slingbox itself.  After that, ANY viewing system (Slingplayer, SlingCatcher, WebSlingPlayer, SlingPlayer Mobile,.,,) will use that remote.

For what it is worth, when I was still tinkering with the Slingbox (before you clarified things for me), I tried to build a remote from scratch using Slingbox's http://betaremotes.slingbox.com.  Spent a tremendous amount of time (since somehow most of the times it takes a long time for their program to process the IR signal received from the remote control used for training) and in the end it still did not work.

It has never been a big success,even when it graduated out of beta and moved to http://remotes.slingbox.com, no idea why, but lots of people have problems with it.

Cheers

Al