3 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2011 9:37 AM by bastian74 RSS

Download amounts

michaeljz

Hi,

Could someone tell me how much download1 hour of streeming through my sling box uses. I am limited to 350GBts per month.

Thank you.

Mike 

• Re: Download amounts
          bastian74 Newbie

You can specify a bitrate if you use the slingplayer desktop application.

By default it will use 100% of your upload capability.

michaeljz

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Unfortunatley I am still not sure if I have the download capability to watch my Sky TV via the Sling Catcher.

If I was to watch say 4 hours of TV per day would I use all my 350GBT download limit? Unfortunately where I live in Spain there is no unlimited download service.

Thanks

Mile

bastian74 Newbie

Lets say you set the quality to 400kbps. 

That is 50 kilobytes per second. (400/8)  (Divide by 8 to switch from bits to bytes)

That is roughly 180 megabytes per hour. (50*60*60 / 1000)  (divide by 1000 to switch from KB to MB)

4 hours a day, 30 days gets to 21.6 GB  (180*4*30 / 1000) (Divide by 1000 to switch from MB to GB)

Now its easy to double all the values, at 800kbps it would be 43GB, 1.6mb is 86GB, 3.2mb=170GB, 6.4mb=340GB

With the slingbox set to "auto" it will go as fast as it can.  So chose a manual quality setting for predictable values.

FYI, minimum "HD" viewing starts at 5mb upload requirements. It's not going to be worth getting an HD if they can't upload that fast - and it will use all your bw.