2 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2011 7:43 PM by chakkarinen RSS

Basic Questions about Slingbox PRO-HD

rangers24

Hi,

I was thinking about getting a slingbox soon and I just needed a few questions answered before I buy it (I am a beginner with this product).

Basically, I want a slingbox so that I can watch my TV at home (specifically local sports broadcasts) while I am away at college about 3 hours from home.

At home I have a 1080p HDTV with a comcast HD DVR set top box.  My house's wireless modem and router are in a different room from the TV & box that I would hook the slingbox up to.

At college I would have my laptop (right now it's a windows but changing to Mac in the future is a possibility).  My internet would probably be through an ethernet connection in my dorm.

My basic questions are:

1. Could I watch TV in HD on my laptop using this setup?

2. Could I connect my laptop to an HDTV at school using an HDMI cable or is the picture quality insufficient for a bigger screen than a laptop?

3. Using this wireless at home ---> ethernet at school connection, will I get HD quality, making the PRO-HD slingbox a better option than the Slinbox solo?

4. Would I need any additional accessoories to accommodate this setup? (ie. converter to use wifi connection for slinbox with modem/router in different room?, etc?)

5. Is the slingbox picture quality typically sharp enough for watching sports or is it better suited for TV shows and such?

If anyone could answer these questions or direct me somewhere where these questions are better suited that would be great.

Thanks

• Re: Basic Questions about Slingbox PRO-HD
          jmpozzo Newbie

Hello!

1 - Depends on your internet connection speeds:

- Upload speed at the place your SlingBox will be (You need at least 2Mb/s upload speeds for HD to even work, closer to 3Mb/s for it to be smooth & sharp.)

- Download speed at your college:  Must be equal to or greater than your upload speed at home.  If you are on a college's residential network, they are pretty good at clamping down on specific types of internet traffic, this may/may not affect your video streaming capabilities, (Best way to figure this out without buying the SlingBox is to connect to someone else's SlingBox (if you know someone that has one) at your college and see how it does.)

2 - The SlingBox Pro HD looks great on HDTV's when your connection speeds are sufficient.

3 - It doesn't matter if you are connected using Ethernet or WiFi, both are more than sufficient to stream HD video.

4 - You'll either need a SlingLink to connect your SlingBox to your router in the other room or find a way to run a long Ethernet cable to it (you can pick up cheap Cat5e or Cat6 Ethernet by the foot on the internet or at a hardware store, you just have to buy the "ends" and crimp them on yourself.

5 - Yes, again provided your connection speeds are good enough for whether you're watching something in SD or HD.

Hope that helps! :-)

• Re: Basic Questions about Slingbox PRO-HD
              chakkarinen Apprentice

The Slinglinks use the house's electrical wires to transfer the video/audio signals from one Slinglink (connected to your router) to the other Slinglink (connected to your Slingbox).   There is  a description of the setup at http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/review/slinglink-turbo-single-port/

One potential problem, however, is that both slinglinks must be connected to electrical outlets that are on the same phase of the home's electricity or they won't be able to communicate with each other.   Most homes have two phases -- open the main circuit breaker panel door and you will typically see two rows of circuit breakers, which represent the two phases.  So, if the electrical outlet where you connect the Slinglink next to your router is not on the same phase as the electrical outlet where you connect the Slinglink next to your Slingbox, then they won't be able to communicate with each other and you would have to do some rewiring in the circuit breaker panel -- not for amateurs! -- or find another electrical outlet that IS on the same phase.

As an alternative to the Slinglink approach (if you can't run an ethernet cable between your router and the slingbox (which would be the best approach as noted above), then you could purchase a wireless access bridge and install it near the Slingbox, then plug connect and Ethernet cable from the wireless access bridge to the Slingbox.