5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2011 8:15 PM by mogmartin RSS

Help with loading suddenly newly needed software?

tracyofnorfolk

We have been using slingbox since October with no problem. Suddenly today, I get a message that I need an update for my sling player plug in. I go thru the process to install "websling player active X". Then it tells me to close internet explorer to continue the installation. Nothing happens, I close all the windows, except the ones for loading the software and can't load, cant' get in. Just a cancel option or next, but the next keeps telling me to close the internet explorer. I am using the laptop remotely as sling player is in US and I am in Europe. Do I need to load this update on the PC/modem at the originating location? Or shouldn't I be able to do it from my laptop here?   I'ts the slingbox Pro HD and am not able to access anything all of a sudden. Please help!! many thanks!

• Re: Help with loading suddenly newly needed software?
          Novice

Hi tracyofnorfolk,

Sounds like your browser has detected the recent update plug-in for the web based SlingPlayer client on watch.slingbox.com. What you'll need to do is allow the plug-in to install fully. There should be an "allow" message at the top of your browser window to complete this process, it can appear to be very subtile, but once accepted you should be able to complete the update. The good news is you will not need to do anything to your setup in Europe on the HDS-600RS side. The update only needs to happen on your PC.

Novice

Hi tracyofnorfolk,

I can see from your post, is that you can't get the plug-in installation to go through.

In case you want to contact the Sling Media Support as per Will advise, you can use the following links:

US Sling Media Support

UK Sling Media Support

However, if you keep getting a message asking to close the browser, try to close it from the task manager (Processes tab) then finish the installation.

mogmartin

I have had exactly the same problem using IE8 on a Win XP laptop though it was fine IE9 on a Win 7 laptop.

On the former I went through an endlees loop of installing WebSlingPlayer, Fixing it, uninstalling it etc.

I then loaded Mozilla Firefox on the same laptop and although it didn't exactly install cleanly - I had to cancel it after waiting 15 minutes - it then continued to install.

I am in Australia and can't now access my Echostar. That's another story ... starting a new thread.