7 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2011 8:07 AM by callanish RSS

USERS:  Please answer this quick connection question!

sfrye1

this is my first post on the forum, i have a question about the pro HD which i havent been able to get a decisive answer on. My main question is: If i have an internet enabled TV (such as the sony NSX series which browses though chrome/google tv) could I sling directly to my TV? Through the sling website or through my network?

• Re: USERS:  Please answer this quick connection question!
          callanish Apprentice

No, or at least not yet, but no is still the answer. Chrome isn't supported, although I suppose if the chrome browser in sony's lineup could use extensions, you could install ietabs, but I don't think that's possible.

callanish Apprentice

You're welcome. That's too bad isn't it, because they'd make a great combo considering the slingcatcher dropped off of the face of the earth.

sfrye1

If i could get a slingcatcher would that allow me to broadcast wifi to the tv?  sorry for the n00b questions, im just really confused by the limitations of slingbox. Also, ive heard of an internet explorer workaround for chrome, any input on this possibility?

callanish Apprentice

Don't apologize, that's what users are here for, to try to help or at least in my case give it my best shot. To answer your question, no it won't. The slingcatcher unfortunately doesn't receive a wireless signal, just an ethernet wired connection. If I didn't already have a wired ethernet connection in my slingcatcher and I wanted to send wi-fi to my TV from my slingbox, I'd probably consider acer's aspire revo which would allow you to use Sony's Vesa mounts to install it on the back of the tv allowing you to run the slingbox to your tv using wi-fi, but that's probably over the top. A simple laptop connected to your tv using its wi-fi would also do the job.

As far as the chrome browser on the Sony TV running something like IETAB, I don't think anyone has cracked that nut yet, so that rules that out as being a possibility for the short term future. We're all waiting on sling even acknowledging support for various platforms like google tv and sony / samsung tv's, etc, but so far I'm not hearing anything. It would take someone with a much higher degree of tech knowledge than I've got to know whether a workaround is even possible for a sling plugin to work within chrome. I'm sure someone, somewhere is working on something that could make that possible, but so far I haven't heard any success stories. If Sony updated the chrome browser to support extensions, then I believe it should be possible to send a slingbox stream directly to your TV through wi-fi, but until then, I think we're all just scratching our heads and in limbo waiting for slingmedia to fill the void that was left when the slingcatcher was pulled off the market, whether that's through software support or a slingcatcher 2.0 with wi-fi ( which I doubt will ever happen).

sfrye1

Thanks for all your help.  I will still purchase a Pro HD and hope that in the future I can find a way to make it function the way I had imagined. Maybe i can hook up dedicated hardware and add my movie collection and XBMC to it.  I think its a no brainer to get the slingbox.  I will hook it up at my father's house, get all of my local sports and eliminate my $100/month cable bill and just pay for 20kbps internet on my both ends and the slingbox will pay for itself within 5 months.