5 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2011 3:06 PM by mr2jj RSS

Internet Viewing

mr2jj

Hi,

Recently my HD-PRO stopped working on Internet viewing, I have tried to manually set up the router (D-Link DIR-825) again, but it still not working. Can anyone help?

Thanks

• Re: Internet Viewing
          yokoec

You could try setting up your internet viewing with the steps provided on www.portforward.com.

If you are sure that you are setting up the internet viewing correctly and it doesnt works you might want to contact your internet provider so they can tell you what ports to use on the router.

chakkarinen Apprentice

I suspect that your Slingbox stopped working because the IP address that your router originally assigned to your Slingbox -- and which is the address that got registered into the database that Slingbox maintains so it knows how to find all registered Slingboxes -- got changed.  This can happen when you have a power failure   When the power comes back on and all of the devices on your network start rebooting, the router may assign a different address to your Slingbox then before, which confuses the main Slingbox database, so your Slingbox is no longer reachable when you try to view it remotely through the internet.

The problem, I believe, lies with the configuration of your router.  I am not personally familiar with your brand of router, but I did find on the web the user manual for it.   After looking through the manual, I think you might be able to solve the problem by "reserving" a specific IP address for your router to always assign to your Slingbox.  Then, for good measure after reserving this specific IP address, you should "port forward port number 5001 to that specific IP address".   Once you've done both of these tasks, and then power-cycled your router and your Slingbox by unplugged their electrical cords for about 20 seconds, hopefully everything will work fine again when you power back up first the router, then about a minute later the Slingbox.

I found instructions on how to reserve a specific IP address for the Slingbox on printed page 33 of your user manual (page 37 of 108 of the PDF file I found online).  Instructions for port forwarding to that reserved specific IP address were found on printed page 36 of your user manual (page 40 of 108 of the PDF file).

Hopefully, this will solve your loss of Internet connectivity.

mr2jj

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I called my ISP and the problem was solved, It was the problem on their end. It works now.

Thanks both of you replies

chakkarinen Apprentice

Could you post to the forum a short summary of what your ISP told you was the problem?   It could be very helpful to me and others in figuring out our own problems in the future.   Thanks!

mr2jj

My ISP is AT&T here in California. I called them but I was barely understand what the tech but he seems to be somewhat lost on what I told him. He put me on hold, and had a tier II tech support to resolve the issue. After waited for about 10 mins, he came back online ask me to reset the modem and router, and try again. I was in hurry so I didn't ask what they did to my DSL line.