13 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2011 6:34 PM by chakkarinen RSS

No network connection for SB pro?

mrhyak

I purchased this slingbox 4+ months ago and used it for a couple months using direct cable connection without problem.  I then decided to get another cable box so I can get more channels so I disconnected it for a few weeks, then when I tried to re-install I have not been able to get the nework light to be on so my slingplayer can't find the slingbox?  How do I know if the SB is faulty or if there is somthing I need to be doing?  I've tried powercycling all I can and did a system reset on my SB but nothing works.  When I power the SB on the network light will flash for a second then goes out and stays out.  I know for a fact the cable connected to it is good because I plugged it into a laptop with no wireless and got good network connection there so that proves out the cable.    Do I need to send this thing back, return it, or can someone assist? 

Thanks,

Jack

• Re: No network connection for SB pro?
          yokoec

well jack, it seems that the problem here might be with the power supply so you might want to try with another one (you can purchase one on the website) or contact sling media technical support so they can troubleshoot your sling box.

chakkarinen Apprentice

I suspect your router has lost track of the Slingbox, so that when you plug the "cable" (I assume here you mean an Ethernet cable between your router and your slingbox), the lights on the Slingbox don't go steady, which they would do if the router was communicating with the slingbox.  You might start by reassigning a static IP address to your slingbox, using the instructions in the user manual for your router.   Best to select a static IP address that is outside the range of numbers that the router assigns to other devices that are connected up to it.   Your laptop computer would work fine with the IP address that your router would assign to it when you plugged the ethernet cable into that no-wireless laptop.  But the slingbox might be finicky.

After assigning a static IP address to the plugged in Slingbox, then I would suggest forwarding port 5001 to that static IP address assigned to the Slingbox -- again, you should find instructions on how to do this in your router manual.   Then unplug the power on the slingbox and on the router; wait a few minutes, then plug the router's power  back in, wait for its lights to "settle down", then plug the power for the slingbox back in, and see if it then connects up again.

mrhyak

It is not that I don't get a steady light, I get NO light for my network.  I can plug the cable in, or take it out and it makes no difference, it never even blinks.  I plug the cable into a PC or laptop and my connection works just fine but the slingbox does not work.  It had been working for about 2 months then just quit for no reason.  I'll call the help line and see if they can help me, otherwise I'll just return it to Best Buy, but I'd rather have a working slingbox.

mrhyak

I also wanted to add that I tried to bypass the router taking it completly out and connecting the modem direct to the slingbox and there still was nothing.  Guess I'll just have to try to return the dang thing since nobody has any new ideas??

chakkarinen Apprentice

Since you are getting no lights at all when you plug the Slingbox into electricity, it suggests to me that the light bulbs are burned out (highly unlikely) or that there is no electricity getting to the slingbox begause the power supply has failed (more likely).   Don't know an easy AND SAFE way of checking whether the power supply has failed completely, unless you have an alternate power supply that can provide the same voltage and polarity to the Slingbox as the current power supply does.

mrhyak

I don't think you guys are actually reading this entirely..  ALL LIGHTS WORK. When turned on, all lights blink but only the NETWORK LIGHT will not go on when a network cable is plugged into it.  The power light is on, etc.  It used to work when I first got it and at that time the network light lit up because it recognized the network.  It is NOT a power supply.  I appreciate the help but if your going to respond please read the entire message and not just the header messages.  Thanks.

chakkarinen Apprentice

I would still suggest logging in to your router and attempting to assign a static IP address to a device with the Media Access Control (MAC) ID of your Slingbox,   and then forward port 5001 to that static IP address.   You don't even need to have the Slingbox plugged in to the router to do these first two steps.   Then power off the router, keep the Slingbox powered down, plug an ethernet cable between the router and the Slingbox. Then power on the router and wait for the router's lights to settle down,   Once they do, power up the Slingbox.   If it still won't connect to the router, then I think there is a high probability that the Slingbox has a malfunctioning network card, requiring a return to manufacturer for replacement.

I hope this suggestion is somewhat useful to you.

mrhyak

I will give that a try this weekend, but when I was trying to connect the SBP without a router shouldn't that have done the same thing as what you are suggesting?  Just wondering....

Jack

Apprentice

Hi, mrhyak

If the Slingbox does not show a solid network light, it is because it is not capable to get the IP address provided by the router. We recommend you to check this link and follow the included steps.   

The Network light on my Slingbox is blinking

mrhyak

(FYI, I can't work on the slingbox until this weekend because it is at my parents house 2 hrs away)

It is not that the slingbox doesn't have a solid network light, it has NO network light. When I pulled it out of the box, connected it all went super easy. I was able to connect, watch TV within minutes and it worked great for at least 2 months.  One day I disconnected it to move it to a different location (10 ft away on a different desk) and it has never worked since.  I tried reset to start all over, etc etc etc and this is where I am.  The existing modem and router have been in place at my folks house for a couple years.  This weekend I plan to bring another router and will be trying all the suggested fixes.  If it still doesn't work by Sunday it wiill be going back to Best Buy for a refund. I love the sling when it was working but right now I don't care for this hassle.

Jack

chakkarinen Apprentice

Your modem gets assigned a wide area network address by your Internet Service Provider, using the Media Access Control ID printed on the modem.   If you had a technical from your ISP install the modem than that person registered the MAC ID into the ISP's directory of validated users.  If you attached the modem yourself, then presumably you had to telephone your ISP when you installed it to give them the MAC ID.   When you attach your router to this modem, in most cases it then "clones" this WAN IP address, so that -- to your ISP -- the modem and the router are one and the same devices.

I don't know enough about the built-in software on the Slingbox to say whether it also has this "cloning capability".   I am pretty certain that the Slingbox can not act like a router in all other respects (such as doling out local area network IP addresses), and if it doesn't have the cloning capability, then I suspect it would appear to the ISP as yet another device at your homesite requesting a WAN IP address, beyond the one address already allocated to the modem.   That request would then be blocked by the ISP -- I believe the only way to get more than one WAN IP address from an ISP is to purchase a second account from them.

mrhyak

I would assume, even if the IP and all were screwed up the network light should still be lit.  Straight out of the box, connected to the router everything came up easy, and without any problems.  2 months later it quit and has never worked since, even after a full reset to factory defaults.  I'm going to call Sling this weekend and see about returning this thing.  Thanks all for your assistance.

chakkarinen Apprentice

I believe some of the other threads on this forum talk about failed power supplies generating similar symptoms to what you are observing.  Some report that the power supply must be plugged directly into a wall outlet, and not a busbar strip, to work reliably.   I don't understand why this would be the case, unless the power supply was faulty to begin with.