88 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2011 10:50 AM by MTFrobin Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Slingbox pro Remote has changed to Comcast remote ?

Leoc2000

Hello

I turned on my sling box this morning to find that it now shows up as as Comcast Remote Control. The cable box is a Rogers Scientific Atlantic 8300HD. I have have not made any changes and the when I re run the video setup it shows as a Scientific Atlantic cable box  with a Comcast remote not my Rogers one ? Was there some kind of a software upgrade that I missed?

thanks in adance.

• Re: Slingbox pro Remote has changed to Comcast remote ?
          SoCalSlinger Newbie

Same problem here -- using Time Warner Cable. Everything was fine up until today, when I opened up my Sling Player and got a Comcast remote instead of the TW remote.

Interestingly, when I went to view the Slinbox online, the proper Time Warner remote opened for a split-second, but then changed to the incorrect Comcast remote.

Any ideas for a fix?

alanrichey42 Master

See this thread, https://community.sling.com/thread/10790?tstart=0   Looks like it's happening to lots of people.   I assume Sling will fix it soon.

SoCalSlinger Newbie

How soon is "soon" by Sling standards? 

Thanks, Al!

alanrichey42 Master

Two years ? 

Seriously, I have no idea.   The first problem is to get them to acknowledge there is a problem.   If you were around last September you will recall it was a long time before they admitted that moving the servers has caused the whole system to fall apart.  They spent a long time issuing denials. 

It would be nice if they would just tell us that the latest updates to the remote databases seems to have introduced a bug whereby a number of devices have been linked to 'Comcast.spr' rather than the proper remote file.  

What appears to be happening is that each time you start SlingPlayer or WebSlingPlayer  the first thing it does is check what device is being used, checks the correct SPR file is available and if it isn't then it downloads the correct one and then uses it to display the remote.  Because these boxes have been linked to the Comcast remote that SPR file is being downloaded and used.

If you have Windows you could look into C:\ProgramData\Sling Media\Slingplayer\2.0\Remotes\   (You need to show Hidden Files)

or /Applications/SlingPlayer/Contents/Resources/Remote  for the Mac

(Note that The Contents dirs won't show up unless you do a "Right-Click -> Show Package Contents" when navigating into an app's "Contents" directory.)

and delete the Comcast.spr file.   But I suspect that it will simply be re-downloaded next time you open Slingplayer.   The only solution is for the Sling Techs to fix the bug they have introduced.  Hopefully the Moderators on this forum will point it out to them.

Cheers

Al

neilc

Another ROGERS cable customer here in Toronto- same problem just showed up today for me too. Get it fixed SLING!!!!

Moze1021

Scientific Atlanta box...getting the comcast remote...worst part is the box is in sleep mode and needs a button pressed, no one around to do it...

Pags4272 Newbie

I am having the same issue, and it just happened today, My cablevision remote has turned into a comcast remote. i never had this problem since owning my slingbox... My cablebox/dvr is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD and i use a Slingbox Pro HD. I am from the New York area and we only have cablevision.

Pags4272 Newbie

Well, I just got done chatting with Sling Support online.. Here is the gist of what she says "Yesterday we had an update on the remotes database, and as you mentioned, some customer are receiving an incorrect skin...We apologize for the inconvenience...We are aware of this situation and we are currently working on a solution...it should be fixed soon...Unfortunately, we do not have a dead line for this, but you can keep the track on the forums, it should be posted there as well."  So there you have it... I guess now it's a waiting game, the question is how long?

klersner

I have Brighthouse Cable--Central Florida and mine went Comcast also--the first one wouldn't let me use any DVR keys. I searched for the "correct" one and even downloaded a custom. It's still Comcast but at least I got my DVR keys back.

Very strange!!

ut at least I know it's not just my Slingbox (btw--HD pro, if anyoone is keeping track.) Box is an Explorer 8640HDC.

tinabean28314

Same has happened to me today, I was trying to watch the game at the bar. However, the remote does not allow me to watch any channels past channel 14, the rest of the channels say I need to pay for them. I came home to try and figure out what the issue was and there are no problems with my device or cable at home. I have timewarner, running a Scientific Atlantic Explorer 3250. I now have a Comcast remote, I have tried reinstalling and setting up again and the zip code keeps going to a "default" zip code, that isn't correct for my location. I hope they get the issue fixed soon, I am not home alot and would like to watch tv on my computer.

DerseMilw

Mine happened yesterday.  Milwaukee Time Warner Cable.  Scientific Atlantic 8300 HD changed to Comcast. Also ... keeps timing out when I've tried to reconfigure.  Cannot keep a connection as of this morning about two hours ago.  Have reset and done everything possible.  I have had my Classic since it first came on the market, so I'm familiar with all the "tricks", trust me.

suz01

in the same boat and sure wish they'd fix it soon.

papafox1

Aloha from Kailua Hawaii. Same problem here. I have Oceanic Time Warner with the Explorer 8300HDC cable box and in the last couple of days the dreaded Comcast remote has appeared.

ryan03ku

hey, finally i find someone that has the Scientific Altlanta Explorer 8300 HDC !!   aside from this Comcast skin issue, I do not find the Scientific Altlanta Explorer 8300 HDC in the standard cable box options.  How did you ever get the remote, did you download something special?  Please let me know.

I have been using sling for just over a month and my remote initially was working when I selected the Sci. Atl Exp 3100HD , however the DVR button wasn't working.  So I went to reconfigure and try to select the 8300 HD and all the sudden no buttons worked (all greyed out) except the volume and mute buttons.  Then i spent hours trying all Sci Atl Exp boxes and nothing gave me any better results.  Do you have any hints you can give me how to find the 8300 HDC  ???

Thanks so much!

douganneser

Mine changed from Charter cable to Comcast ...also on May3rd. Seriously, go look at what changed on 5/3 & fix it!

yohaas

Same issue here. Have Cablevision, seeing the Comcast remote.

Ichinisan

...and another one. NuLink cable is based in Newnan, GA 30263 and serves only Coweta County, GA.

Originally, the web viewer displayed a remote that was very similar to the ones NuLink uses. Now it shows a strange Comcast-branded remote that's unlike any remote offered by NuLink. I actually work for NuLink and our Slingbox is installed in the cable head-end.

Sling engineers, here's a link to the types of remotes we use at NuLink cable:

http://www.nulinkdigital.com/nulink_info.php?nav_ID=78

My Slingbox is set up with a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable box. Any remote from that page with DVR and aspect / zoom functions should be appropriate:

AT8400

AT8550

UR5-8400A

Atlas 1055_DVR

UR5U-8720

UR5U-8700L

(oldest-to-newest)

aperry78

Happened to me today, too...Comcast remote suddenly appeared May 3rd on all our remote desktops.  We live in China right now, and absolutely rely on Sling as our tether to the outside world..   Our Setup: Slingbox Pro HD connected to a Scientific America 8300 DVR on TimeWarner in TX.  Need my remote back, wife not happy with the situation.  Had my sister reset the Slingbox back home for me, re-installed SW everywhere.  Ran the setup assistant...no change  What help can you provide, SlingMedia?  Things will get ugly here quickly wthout a solution.  Regards. AP

ryan03ku

WOW (Wild on West) Cable Service ; sterling Heights Michigan; Scientific Altlanta Explorer 8300 HDC   (DVR)

I am in Austria and ever since I downloaded that forced update i have the comcast remote and i get no picture or sound (i now suspect its because my box is sleeping as other people suggest).  =(

My finacee is also normally logining in to use it from inside the US, she had the same thing happen after the forced update.

Please help Sling!!!

SoCalSlinger Newbie

As much of an annoyance as this situation is (and it's VERY annoying), the "silver lining" or "silver skin" to this situation is that (at least for me) all of the features I need to access on my Sling box can be accessed through the Comcast remote. You just have to hunt around to find the buttons, as they're not in the same locations as the normal SA 8300 remote. Equally annoying, though, is Sling's lack of response to this problem. People are unhappy, and clamoring for a fix, and at the very least, a Sling moderator should come online and post what is being done to fix the problem and what the timeline is for implementing that fix.

loupotato

I'm another who now has the Comcast rather then the Rogers remote. In my case I've got the SA4200HD.

I hope this is solved soon... a very annoying issue.

jrdolliver

I have the Slingbox Solo and I started having this same problem on 5/3.  I use a Scientific Atlantic 8300HDC but used the SA8300HD and my remote was just fine.  My provider is Time Warner.  Since, 5/3 my remote changed to Comcast.  I have tried everything suggested in the FAQ's to resolve this issue myself.  I live in Central New York.

I appreciate that sometimes things happen and you are working to fix this issue, but please don't keep telling everyone that they should try this step and that step to fix the problem.  What you should tell people is that you are aware of the problem and are working dilligently in order to fix the problem promptly.  Giving everyone a time frame or something is a real plus.  But, don't tell people that their Slingbox is fried and they need to purchase another one as this is really passing the buck and we know better since now everyone know's this is your problem Sling!

Maffam1

Same here with the Comcast Remote.  But I don't get any video at all.  Is that the case for everyone?    I've gone through setup several times and reset the device as well. I don't have a light on the front logo either.  Have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD .

davemars Newbie

Still getting the comcast remote when I should be geting the Time Warner remote. Problem is not fixed yet.

Expert

Hey all, just checking in - is the incorrect Comcast remote still appearing this morning, even after running through Setup on Slingbox.com again? We made some changes on Saturday which should have fixed the issue.

If you've still got the incorrect remote, any chance you could take a quick screen grab of it and additionally post the info for your correct A/V device model, i.e., "This is what comes up when I use Watch, and this is what I should be controlling."

Thanks!

SoCalSlinger Newbie

As of 7:30 a.m. PDT Monday, I still have the Comcast remote, both when using the desktop player and when accessing my Slingbox via the Sling website. I ran the set-up assistant, and in the attached screen shots you'll see that both during and after the set-up process, the Comcast remote is shown. I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300 DVR on Time Warner, not Comcast.

Screenshots in the attached document.

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                    As of 7:30 a.m. PDT Monday, I still have the Comcast remote, both when using the desktop player and when accessing my Slingbox via the Sling website. I ran the set-up assistant, and in the attached screen shots you'll see that both during and after the set-up process, the Comcast remote is shown. I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300 DVR on Time Warner, not Comcast.

Odd.  I just installed this box on my Slingbox using "Standalone DVR", "Time Warner" and "8300HD" and got the correct remote:

Image1.jpg

and looking in  C:\ProgramData\Sling Media\Slingplayer\2.0\Remotes\  I see I have a new file called CoxChartTW.SPR, no sign of a Comcast.SPR.  So it looks to me as though it is fine.

I've attached a copy of the SPR file in case anyone wants to delete their Comcast one and use this one.

Al

suz01

Hi Dana, thanks for the update. Unfortunately it's still not fixed. I reconfigured via slingbox.com as you suggested, but I'm still pulling the comcast remote. I should be getting the Time Warner SA8300HDDVR remote.

Pags4272 Newbie

I am still having the same problem as well... ran setup as suggested, however i am still receiving the Comcast remote... As stated in my earlier posts, i have Cablevision, with a Scietific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HD/DVR and use a Slingbox Pro-HD.  There is still something wrong on the Sling side of this. The update that Sling did on 5/3 to the remote database is what has screwed this up. Attached is the screenshot of what i see now. Please let me know if i can give you more information to help clear this up.

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                          I am still having the same problem as well... ran setup as suggested, however i am still receiving the Comcast remote... As stated in my earlier posts, i have Cablevision, with a Scietific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HD/DVR and use a Slingbox Pro-HD.  There is still something wrong on the Sling side of this. The update that Sling did on 5/3 to the remote database is what has screwed this up. Attached is the screenshot of what i see now. Please let me know if i can give you more information to help clear this up.

This is a different situation.  When I select CableVision I don't get the SA8300HD as a model option.  So the only way to do it is to select Scientific Atlanta as the manufacturer.  Then, like you, I get the Comcast remote.  Now this is fair enough.  The SA8300 is used by lots of Cable providors and if you just select SA then they have to pick a representative skin, and Comcast is a logical choice.

What 'skin' did you get before ?   Anything like the one I just posted ?

Pags4272 Newbie

Hey Alan, thanks for the reply... yes the one i got before is the exact one you posted up now... If i recall correctly i believe it goes by Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD when using cablevision... not sure if there is a different version of the cablebox name for other cable companies...

alanrichey42 Master

No, that is the exact description of the box, but it is then badged or used by lots of other providors.   Just lie to your Slingbox and specify Time Warner.

Pags4272 Newbie

Gotcha, i'll try this when i get home and let you know if this worked. Thanks again... Still wish Sling would fix this the proper way though.

alanrichey42 Master

Still wish Sling would fix this the proper way though.

Actually I think they might have done.   Sling never pass any information through this forum so we can only make educated guesses as to what happened, but I can offer a possible scenario

We know already that the SA3200HD is used by a lot of cable providers (Cox, Comcast, Time Warner, CableVision.....).    And I suspect if you always use the provider as the manufacturer (an instinctive reaction I think) then the correct remote is shown.   As I said before, the problem is what remote to display if the user selects Scientific Atlanta as the manufacturer.  Then Sling can only have one default remote, and that was the one that everyone saw and I found as well.   Note it does not actually have Time Warner written on it, it is really a generic remote that just happens to look like the Time Warner one,

Now, at the recent database update someone must have decided that the default remote for the SA3200HD would change to be the Comcast one.   So everyone who had selected Scientific Explorer as their manufacturer suddenly saw the new default.   Anyone who had used their provider did not see any difference.  Hence we got only a few dozen people finding a problem.   So if everyone now reruns the video setup and uses their provider instead of SA as the manufacturer then everything should be OK. 

You are a special case in that the 3200HD does not appear as an option under CableVision so you will have to cheat.  That is something that the moderators need to point out to the 'techies' so they can add it to the drop-down list.

Now I wait for a surge of postings telling me I am talking absolute rubbish... 

equipped

Ok this is till not working.  Are you guys even fixing this?

I don't know how there are some people that are able to watch configuring a different skin.  Because it DOES NOT work for me.

And it does not appears to be just a skin issue.  This is affecting IR controls. 

I cannot control my terminal at all, and there are only about 3 buttons that work on the Comcast remote that will register anything with my 8300HD Rogers terminal.

I'm getting tired of this considering Sling does not "support" anyone after 90 days of purchase even though you maintain control over the way everyone interacts with their Sling box.  I've paid for the sling box, I paid for my iphone app why is it I cannot use them???

Regards,

Fed Up...

klersner

Woo Whoo!! I have my old remote back!! The Comcast one worked ok, but that shiny silver was very annoying.

Thanks, everybidy for all the input. And all you folks that are still struggling--Good Luck!!
                                                                                K

neilc

Not working on my Scientific Atlanta cable box. Rogers cable. Model is 3100, but 3250 always worked before. Still coming up Comcast for me, but the buttons I have tested work. Just shows a wrong skin now which was OK before May 3....... so almost a week broken.

alanrichey42 Master

neilc wrote:

Not working on my Scientific Atlanta cable box. Rogers cable. Model is 3100, but 3250 always worked before. Still coming up Comcast for me, but the buttons I have tested work. Just shows a wrong skin now which was OK before May 3....... so almost a week broken.

What are you selecting during the video setup ?    I just checked and Rogers is not available as a selection.   So if you are selecting Scientific Atlanta then you WILL get the Comcast skin as I described in my previous posting.

Have you tried the 'workaround' of secting Time Warner as the manufacturer?   And you can still use the 8300 as the model, as far as I know all these boxes use the same codes.

gcarter

Sling Player changed remote from black generic remote to Comcast silver version last week.

Everyone knows this by now.

Should be black generic remote control.  re-doing setup didn't change things.

My setup is Sling Player 2.0.4.521

Setup is Cable Box, Scientific Atlanta, Explorer 8300HD, Rogers Ottawa system.

See 3 images below.

Please fix.

Correct remote control

SA remote.jpg

Incorrect remote control

Rogers Ottawa 8300HD.JPG

Slingplayer Setup

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD.JPG

Expert

Hey all - just an update for those of you with the incorrect skin after our last remotes database update:

(A little background) Comcast had requested to change their Scientific Atlanta remotes to display the current Comcast silver skin. Our update, however, messed up and changed ALL the Scientific Atlanta remotes, including the non-Comcast ones, to show the silver skin. Clearly, our bad.

To be clear, only the graphics (skin) of the remote have changed with the update. There were no functional changes made, so other issues, like no video, etc. are unrelated to this remotes skin update.

When will this be fixed? Soon. We're working on it right now and will update this thread when we know more.

Now, if you're a Comcast customer with a Scientific Atlanta remote, note that you will have the silver skin from this point forward (unless you perform some of the workarounds outlined above). That's the way Comcast wants their remote represented, and we have no control over that.

But if you're a non-Comcast customer and your Scientific Atlanta remote skin is incorrect, our apologies - we'll get you back to your normal skin ASAP! In the meantime, your buttons should have similar functionality.

Hope this helps!

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                                            (A little background) Comcast had requested to change their Scientific Atlanta remotes to display the current Comcast silver skin. Our update, however, messed up and changed ALL the Scientific Atlanta remotes, including the non-Comcast ones, to show the silver skin.

Thanks Dana, that all makes sense.  I was almost right then    Pity it wasn't posted a few days ago though, it would have stopped a lot of hassle.  But at least it explains why the 'techs' didn't do a quick 'rollback' to fix the problem.  They need to figure out a revised implementation.

Now, if you're a Comcast customer with a Scientific Atlanta remote, note that you will have the silver skin from this point forward (unless you perform some of the workarounds outlined above). That's the way Comcast wants their remote represented, and we have no control over that.

Interesting and scary.   What right have Comcast to dictate the type of Virtual Remote a Slingbox user sees ?   Surely that is up to the user ?

But if you're a non-Comcast customer and your Scientific Atlanta remote skin is incorrect, our apologies - we'll get you back to your normal skin ASAP! In the meantime, your buttons should have similar functionality.

Or just select Time Warner as the manufacturer 

This is actually an interesting technical problem and I would love to know how Sling are going to fix it.   Up to now the provider has not been relevant when you select the remote, although I accept the many people will not realise their box is made by Scientific Atlanta and will select their provider as the Manufacturer  (Note that when you are asked for your provider it is to make sure you get the correct channel lineup on the Guide, it never used to be used for the Remote). 

So if a user sets up the Virtual Remote correctly and selects "Cable" (or "Standalone DVR"), then "Scientific Atlanta" as the Manufacturer, and the Model number, then how is the system going to know if Comcast is the provider and not one of the many others. 

Fascinating stuff, I suspect this is not going to be a quick fix.

Al

gcarter

Hi Allen . Thanks for your guidance but my view doesn't show a post number. See below.

I finally took the easy road and selected the Time Warner control. Works fine for me.

However, I do want to thank you and all the other contributors for the Custom-Remote-V1.0A.zip. I used IR, JP1 USB cable, Remote Master and your alternate remote to build from scratch a .bin file and a remote for a project of mine. See remote below. I among many others appreciate your efforts.

Is there a separate forum for questions and answers regarding custom remotes.  Maybe I could help some people. Gary

ar.JPG

ar.JPG

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                                                Hi Allen . Thanks for your guidance but my view doesn't show a post number. See below.

I finally took the easy road and selected the Time Warner control. Works fine for me.

How odd.  I get one:

Image1.jpg

I'm using Firefox on a PC, I guess you are using something else?.   But thanks for pointing it out, I'll stop referring to it in the future

However, I do want to thank you and all the other contributors for the Custom-Remote-V1.0A.zip. I used IR, JP1 USB cable, Remote Master and your alternate remote to build from scratch a .bin file and a remote for a project of mine. See remote below. I among many others appreciate your efforts.

Impressive.  Nice to see someone doing it as I intended.  Well done.

Is there a separate forum for questions and answers regarding custom remotes.  Maybe I could help some people.

Not that I know of, I just tend to use this one.  At least that way a lot of people benefit from the discussions.

Cheers

Al

juschekin

I have a different problem, my remote changed to the comcast remote as well for my scientific atlanta 8300hd box. My problem is that since the change i have been unable to use the hotkeys/shortcut keys on the web player. I have rerun setup about a dozen times and still get the same results. I moused over the buttons to see if the shortcut keys changed, but when i press the correct key on my keyboard i get nothing, pressing them on the virtual remote still works though. I have an old version of the standalone player, that still has the correct remote skin, and the shortcut keys work fine there, its only on the web player that they dont seem to respond. Is anyone else having this problem?

alanrichey42 Master

I suspect most people don't use the shortcut keys, so haven't noticed.  These shortcuts are tied to the remote 'skin', so until SLing correct this fault I don't think there is anything you can do.

What happens if you rerun the setup and use Time Warner as the manufacturer ?   Do the shortcut keys work then ?

juschekin

i have rerun the set up many times, even using the time warner remote, the shortcut keys are the same as the scientific atlanta/comcast remote but it still didnt work. I recently found out that if i use the pop up player instead of the web page player i can use the shortcut keys normally, even with the comcast remote skin. There must be some difference between the pop up player and the webplayer that still allows me, for the time being, to make use of the shortcut keys, but for now its just a small inconvenience to rely on the pop up player. Also for the shortcut keys to work on the pop up player, you must be in full screen mode, in the smaller window the keys are once again rendered useless. Just a couple of weird bugs in an otherwise excellent product.

verlin_anderson@yahoo.com

I have Time Warner Cable and a Scientific Atlanta box and remote.  I see that the Comcast remote has now changed to the Scientific Atlanta remote on my system, but only the volume button works correctly.   Channels do not change or other functions do not respond.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

V Anderson

MTFrobin Newbie

Refer to my post for the correct solution:

https://community.sling.com/thread/11465

Re_maxman Newbie

Has this been fixed yet? I'm in Canada and I still have the comcast skin. I see in the menu though I can select the skin for Rogers but when I shut it off and restart the program the Comcast skin comes back. What a pain in the u know what.