9 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2011 1:07 PM by chakkarinen RSS

iphone and ipad dont freeze browser and mac do

tvlevy Newbie

my pro hd runs perfectly when connected via the ipad or iphone.  but when i use the browser or mac software i get the dreaded freeze every four seconds.  why is this?  what is the solution?

• Re: iphone and ipad dont freeze browser and mac do
          Apprentice

Hi, tvlevy

Since your Slingbox PRO HD freezes out when running the SlingPlayer software application on your Mac computer, we recommend you to check if this computer meets the requirements for the Slingbox PRO HD.

Tech Specs for the Slingbox PRO HD

tvlevy Newbie

thank you ranaleon for the response.  my mac mini does not meet the requirement as i have 2.26ghz  and intel core 2 duo.  but it worked for quite a while - and if it gets repowered it works for about a day and then starts freezing again.  heres a silly question - are those requirements the same for connecting with the browser?  as the same problem exists with the browser.

chakkarinen Apprentice

While not being in the current Mac community of users, I did run a test, after reading yours and several other folks problems with video freezing and stuttering, a test of all my PCs (totalling 5 laptops and 3 desktops) of SlingPlayer for PC.   Only my oldest laptops and desktops, with slower CPUs, less memory, and less powerful graphics cards, could be "forced" to stutter, and then only when I intentionally ran some other programs in background that would use a lot of CPU cycles or calls to the graphic cards.   I found I then could minimize or eliminate this stutter in SlingPlayer if I opened in the SlingPlayer menu "Settings-SlingPlayer Options-Encoding" and switched the "Internet Access" drop-down menu from "Automatic" to a specific resolution.  By trial and error, I would eventually find a low-enough resolution to eliminate the stutter WHILE continuing to ran those other programs in background that were competing with the SlingPlayer for CPU cycles..

So, I suspect your problem is not, fundamentally, with your bandwidth, but with unknown programs running in background on your Macintosh that are competing for CPU cycles.   Your iPhone and iPad don't have this background competition, so no freezing.   Dare I mention the V word for your Macintosh?  Particularly since the problem emerges only after your Macintosh has been running for some hours after a cold boot?    Is there a way to test your Mac to see what other programs are running -- and what fraction of the CPU cycles they are using -- when you are running Slingplayer?

tvlevy Newbie

well i wish i could buy you a beer or a meal.  i cant believe how seriously you are taking my problem.  i cant thank you enough.  so tonight i had to do a restart of my computer on the road.  i tried slingplayer with nothing else open.  and the problem slingbox seemed to be fine.  i will be testing it again tomorrow.

do you live in la or ny?  if yes i could buy you a beer and a meal. 

and macintosh has an activity monitor  so i can monitor cpu usage and stuff.

tvlevy Newbie

my computer has been running about 3 hours after the restart.  now i believe there was some kind of power failure in my home today.  because when i went to both slingboxes - their directv receivers were in the process of rebooting.  and prior to that i couldnt communicate with either slingbox at all.  so that would mean the prohd also got a power reset.  in the past the power reset has stopped the freezing for about a day.  the prohd is now running in no freeze mode with all my other programs open.  three browsers and itunes and whatever normal stuff is in the startup files. 

i promise to keep you posted.  this hi tech life is way too complicated.  but fun and rewarding.

and just for fun - i had the solo running on the browser and the prohd running on the mac application and the prohd was not freezing.  but this is after the three hours.

tvlevy Newbie

and the solo was running in best in the browser and the prohd was running in manual mode in the preferences at 1500kbs and not freezing or stuttering.  when i jacked it up to 1800 it didnt freeze but did stutter a bit.

chakkarinen Apprentice

I don't know how the SlingPlayer software chooses its "automatic" or "best viewing" settings from among all of the options on resolution, video refresh rates, etc.   But to me it is logical that this software would err on the "high side", since who would promote watching your Slingbox output at a lower quality then necessary?   But I am now reasonably convinced that I can manually adjust these settings "downward" on my older computers to stop stuttering and freezing.   But tuning up the network configuration settings in one's computer using software like TCPOptimizer for PCs (and I assume something similar exists for Macs) makes sense anyway, so that one's computer will communicate as efficiently as practical over Internet.  And doing this internet tuneup before fiddling with the SlingPlayer options might just solve the stuttering in "marginally adequate" computer/Internet configurations.

And no, I don't live in la or ny -- much closer to the WORLD CHAMPION SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS!  

but thanks anyway for the food and drink offer.

tvlevy Newbie

so it has been five days since the gear in my house reset itself due to a power failure.  last time i had the power reset at the prohd it lasted less than 24 hours and it started freezing again.  i changed some settings on the router at the quality of service that i could find.  there is no bad news.  the one thing im not quite sure of since i am using port 5002 and 5003 - im not quite sure which ports correspond to these ports.  in other words my router has 14 i think ports labelled on the quality of service page as 1-14.  so how does 5002 correspond to these numbers?  once again thanks for the help.  sorry you are in san fran.  but if you ever get to la let me know.   at this point no freezing or stuttering and i am running the browser at the best/hd setting.

chakkarinen Apprentice

Sorry, I am not enough of a computer geek to know what the various channel numbers for quality of service mean, of even whether assigning ports 5002 and 5002 to the local area IP address for your Slingbox have any impact on the ability of your SlingPlayer to keep track of where your Slingbox is, or whether that will directly influence the elimination of stuttering on your playbacks.  Or whether the QOS settings have some relation to the 5xxx ports.  My own thought is that they don't have any relationship to each other -- methinks the QOS settings only influence the speed and smoothness of the playback, and the static IP address and the port settings only influence the ability of the SlingPlayer software to locate your Slingbox in Internet Land, with the assignment of a static IP address being one-half of the key.   The other half of that key being the wide area network IP address that your Internet Service Provider assigns to your modem.   Methinks further that should you ever change your ISP, or your modem, or your ISP suffers a MAJOR service outage for an extended time period, then the slingbox.com directory could well lose track of your Slingbox, and you then might have to go through the intial setup process for the Slingbox again.

But I'm glad to hear that things are working OK for you so far, and hopefully it will stay that way into the future.