5 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2011 8:03 PM by bsmtsling RSS

Decreased Streaming Speed After Installing New Modem

lcvalent

Hello,

I am currently in Maryland, with a Slingbox in my parents house in Philadelphia.  Last week, I was up to visit in PA, where I installed a new cable modem at my parents house.  Since then, the Slingbox has decreased its streaming speed.  Prior to changing the modem, it would stream at about 1200kbps, now it tops out at 600kbps.  I have run a speed test on the computer connected to the modem with each modem, adn both are almost identical (at about 4Mbps).  I have asked a friend with a very fast internet connection to test the stream out on his end, and he too, only maxes out at 600kbps.  Can anyone think of any ideas on how to solve this issue?  I hope a solution isnt too technical, since I have to relay how to fix it, to my parents. Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Chris

• Re: Decreased Streaming Speed After Installing New Modem
          lcvalent

As an update, I saw that it was suggested to reset the Slingbox by pressing the reset button for 5 seconds if you install a new router.  While, it doesn't mention anything aobut a modem, I decided to ask my parents to reset it anyway, about 5 minutes ago.  Now, I go to watch, it says "There was an error connecting to your Slingbox. Please try again. Do you want to retry? [Code:W213]"  Could it be trying to download updates, since it was just reset?  Anyone have any experience resetting their box?

chakkarinen Apprentice

Since the upload speed from your Slingbox to the Internet was reduced when you changed the cable modem -- and presumably nothing else in your system was changed -- then the reduction in speed for streaming might be related to some setting on the new cable modem being different from the old one.   You might consider asking the Pennsylvania Internet Service Provider to run a remote test on the new cable modem to look for any errors, weak connection, etc.   It could be something as "simple" as a connection between the cable modem and your wall outlet not being tightened adequately -- this has happened to me in the past -- or a failing signal splitter (if you spli the incoming cable signal between your parents' cable modem and their TV viewing system).   This has also happened to me with Comcast.

bsmtsling

Why did u change modems? U need to check upload speed from your parents house. The 4mbps speed is likely the download speed. Your IP address shouldn't have changed even if u swapped modems. Your public ip changes typpically if u change router. If u kept same router, your public IP stays the same because com cast sees the mac address of the router despite it being a different modem.

chakkarinen Apprentice

You can check download and upload speeds to a computer in your parent's house by visiting websites like www.bandwidthplace.com when you are there.  4 mbps could very well be the upload speed at your parent's house -- that is the case at my home, where the download speed is typically 20 mbps.   Your mileage may vary, and do at my vacation home, where the speeds with the same internet service provider are more like 1 mbps up and 8 mbps down.  Even these lower speeds seem to be adequate for streaming standard definition video on my Slingbox.   I have a Slingbox Pro-HD model, but no HD TV connected to it at present.