8 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2011 11:29 AM by chakkarinen RSS

Connection attempt failed issue

tmacey

I'm having continued problems with the slingbox which lead me to believe its best function is as a paperweight. I will be able to watch slingbox for a day or two without any problems, then for reason I start to get the following error:

"The connection attempt failed. Make sure the Slingbox you are trying to  watch is on, set up for remote viewing, and not blocked by firewall/NAT  settings."

Nothing will have been done to the setup/router where the slingbox is located to prompt any sort of change for it not to work. Can anyone provide any explanation as to why this continues to happen? I've had the slingbox for 4 months, and it has worked for a total of maybe 10 out of 120 days. It's incredibly frustrating and nobody from slingbox seems to be able to provide any explanation and I don't want to pay them $30 to diagnose the problem - that's just throwing good money after bad.

Please help!!!

• Re: Connection attempt failed issue
          sloman

I am having the exact same problem, have you found anything out.  I have had my slingbox Pro a year and have never been happy with it.  It freezes and jumps forward constantly.  This failure to connect is a new thing though.  It will be running along better than it usually does and then it just shuts down and gives me that same message.  I hardley even try to watch anymore it's so frustrating...

Putchfilms

Every since I updated the firmware on my sling box pro HD, it has never worked outside my own home network.

web browser or ipad and iphone app. They all do the same thing.  Connect and play for a few minutes, then disconnect with and error saying that the connection was lost.

truly frustrating.  nothing online about a way to trouble shoot.

I hate slingbox

sloman

I downloaded the latest firefox last night, and thought I had it fixed. Watched a good 2 hrs of tv with just a few short freezes that lasted only 5 to 10 seconds and never shut off at all.  Turned it on this morning and every 15 or 20 minutes get the connection failed message.  I also hate slingbox and the paper weight idea sounds good but will have to wait as I am 10,000 miles away from it...

tmacey

I've found out nothing. I asked the same question a few months ago and the only response I got from slingbox was a random message to tell me to try port forwarding. Which of course didn't solve anything. I'm having the same issue as others since I live in Europe and the slingbox is at a friend's house in Chicago. The only thing worse than the slingbox is customer support for slingbox.

sloman

I am in Germany at the moment and never had this problem in the states.  I had plenty of freezing, skipping, choppy feed and pretty much unwatchable service in the states, but never had this connection attempt failed issue.  My slingbox is at my mothers house in California and I don't even know where to begin in trying to get her to help trouble shoot.  I am also using to bridges..

shouts

I'm having the same problem as everyone else but I'm using a SlingBox Solo with the bridge. Everytime I would bring it up in the house prior to my travel I would either have to reset the box itself, unplug and plug it back in again to the wall or reset my modem. I would try several things that should not have been necessary to get it to work which it would eventually. Now that I'm 8000 miles from home in Korea it can not find my box and I keep getting a "code W:213. Which basically tells me nothing I don't know what I'm going to do. Except keep trying different functions. By the way I'm on a MAC Book Pro 13" with Safari 5.0.3 and Mozilla 5.0 and Firefox 3.6.14. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

rmridge

I am having a similar issue when trying to connect using the web or the software when away.  I can connect using my mobile almost every time.   I only connect every once in a while when using my computer remotely.  It works fine internally.   I don't understand why the phone works, and the remote computer doesn't.  I have the correct IP address and the correct port 5001 forwarded, but still it is very rare that I get a connection.  Does anyone have any ideas as to why...

chakkarinen Apprentice

I don't know if this answer will help you or not.  But I also started having problems connecting to my Slingbox (located about 1,000 miles away from my primary residence inside my second home) about 3 months after I installed it.   I would get error messages that Sling Player on my laptop computer could not connect, but I could connect when I was physically inside the second home.

I finally decided to assign a static IP address to my Slingbox, following the instructions that came with my router, and then forwarding the port number 5001 to that static IP address (also following the instructions that came with my router).   I made these changes last week while visiting the second home -- for security reasons, I have set up the router in my second home so that it can be logged in to ONLY when inside the second home's local area network.   After that, connections between the laptop computer and the Slingbox have worked great, and the speed of transfer seems even to have improved somewhat.   And I verified that the laptop's Sling Player worked well when connecting from other locations in the neighborhood of the Slingbox -- such as the free Wi-Fi at the local Mickey D's and grocery store.

Now that I back at my primary residence 1000 miles away, I have verified that the Slingbox connection works for all of my other computers in my home -- although not on the first try for some.   In those cases, I had to re-enter my login ID and password, but then the Slingbox immediately appeared as an option, and once I clicked the "Connect" choice on the dropdown menu, I was back in business with THAT computer, and connections have been maintained since.

The next test will be when electrical outages from the frequent summer thunderstorms at the second home begin to happen, and whether the remote connection to the Slingbox can be easily restored after each such outage.