20 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2011 5:29 PM by tvlevy RSS

pro hd problem solution of freezing

tvlevy Newbie

i had developed the dreaded freezing and i of course am away from home.  turned out that there was a port forwarding conflict.  when i changed ports and updated the settings the freezing went away.

• Re: pro hd problem solution of freezing
          marydawgs

I have the freezing problem only I.m the end user and the box is in New York. I have no idea how to fix this and person on the send side is also not knowledgeable about these.

tvlevy Newbie

well i am very fortunate to be able to get on my computer from away from home because of mobileme and back to my mac.  if you are able to get on your home computer than i would suggest spending the money on slingbox tech support because they will also get on your computer via the computer you are on now and can adjust the port forward settings.  there is also a website called place shifting enthusiasts - http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/forum/  - and these are very smart people.  there is a lot of info on the pro hd freeezing.  there is also another solution - i found a website believe it or not called portforwarding.com

portforwarding.com has software for $30 that they guarantee will fix your port forwarding issue.  and if the software doesnt work they guarantee they themselves can get you setup.  now i am not a super techie so i cant guarantee your issue is port forwarding.  i was able to use my macintosh in the home and go thru my slingbox for mac setup and was told the remote internet viewing was no good.  even though when i left home two weeks ago it was fine.

and the really expensive solution is to spend the money - have your friend at your house and have the geek squad come over.  they have people who i believe are expert at the slingbox and if you go this route make sure to specify a slingbox expert.  last time i used geek squad i think it was $150 an hour.

i feel your pain and always go slightly insane when my gear isnt working right.  if i can be of any more help let me know.

marydawgs

Thanks very much. I'll try these things. I knew I'd get someone here who knew about this! Thanks again  Anne 

tvlevy Newbie

not so fast.  oy.  almost as soon as i closed the post - the freezing returned.  so i went back to changing ports.  i was able to do that but the freezing remains.  i have been at this way too long and slitting of the wrists was thought about.  my workaround is extravagant.  i have two slingboxes - directv - and the whole home option.  my other slingbox is a solo and its new and it hasnt frozen once - yet.  so i have turned the whole home option on and am running the freezing pro hd thru the solo and its fine.  but im still crazed.  cant imagine whats wrong.  i promise if i make any progress i will post.  but im not feeling positive and im a totally half filled glass guy.  oy.

tvlevy Newbie

hopefully you read my second post to you - not so fast.

well one of the things i didnt check - which could be an issue is the speeds at my house.  when i got it to work last night the speed at home was 15mbs download and 2mbs upload.  tonight the download speed is 3mbs so i called linksys(my router) and he said it doesnt make any sense that its the router since the second slingbox is fine.  ive reset the router so it has to be maintenance with time warner cable my service provider.  when the speed normals up i will try again.  my guess is the pro hd needs more bandwidth than the solo because the prohd does hd and the solo doesnt quite get there.

this hi tech life is way too complicated.

tvlevy Newbie

heres the latest.  i sent a friend over to the house and they unplugged and replugged the hdpro slingbox, the cable modem, and i was able to restart the router from my remote location.  you should be able to guide your friend to do these three things.  restarting the router is merely unplugging and replugging.  my issues seem to be fixed - for now.  i will update you if anything changes.  its difficult being a supreme geek.

if you want a suggested order of unplugging and replugging - i would do the modem firsst - then give it a little time - then do the router and then do the slingbox.  good luckj.

tvlevy Newbie

twelve hours later - i noticed the internet speeds were down - and the freezing returned.  four second intervals.  when the internet speed went back up all was well.

chakkarinen Apprentice

In addition to forwarding the port, you may also need to have your router assign a static IP address to your Slingbox that is OUTSIDE the range of IP addresses that your router assigns to clients on a regular basis.   (See your router manual on how to do this.)  Otherwise, you run the risk that your router will assign a different IP address to your Slingbox after a router reboot -- such as may result from a power failure in the home.   And if that happens, the prior port forwarding may no longer go to your Slingbox, but instead to some other device that has now been assigned to that IP address.

tvlevy Newbie

thanks for responding to my posts.  i must tell you that the iphone and ipad applications work perfectly with this slingbox that does the freezing.  and sometimes when i connect with the browser and use auto there is no freezing - other times it does the four second freeze.

my second slingbox seems to have a permanent ip address but i have no idea how that was accomplished.  i have a linksys rv016 - any idea where i would start to assign a permanent ip address?

chakkarinen Apprentice

I am not personally familiar with your brand of router, but I did find online a user manual for the linksys rv016 router.

Instructions on how to log in to the web interface for your router are shown on printed page 19 of this manual.

Instructions on how to view the range of IP addresses that the router is assigning dynamically, and how to set a static IP address for a particular piece of equipment attached to the router (in this case, it would be your Slingbox) are shown on printed page 34 of the manual (page 45 of 127 of the PDF version that I found online).   You would want to set a static IP address for your Slingbox that is outside the range that the router is using for its dynamic addressess -- for example, if the screen says the dynamic range that your router is assigning is 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.120, then you would chose an address like 192.168.1.130 for your Slingbox.  The "MAC address" for your Slingbox (which you will need to enter when assigning a static IP address to it) should be printed on a label on the bottom of the Slingbox. (The MAC address is a unique identifier assigned to your Slingbox at the factory -- no other piece of computer equipment in the world should have that same MAC address.)  Your router will then look for a piece of equipment connected to it with that addrss, and then assign the static IP address that you've chosen to that piece of equipment -- your Slingbox -- in its Internet signal routing table.

Once you have assigned a static IP address to the Slingbox, then you would want to forward the appropriate port in your router to that static IP address for the Slingbox.  How to do this is described on printed page 26 of your router manual (page 37 of 127 of the PDF version I found online).   On my Slingbox the port to forward is 5001, but this might vary on your Slingbox, especially if you have a second Slingbox already connected to the same router, with its own static IP address and port forwarded to it.

After you've done the static IP address assignment and port forwarding, it is then wise to "power-cycle" both the Slingbox and the router by unplugging their AC power cords for 20 seconds or so, then plug them back in to your wall outlets and start up until all of their lights "settle down".   Then see if your problems has disappeared.

I hope this information is useful to you.

tvlevy Newbie

thanks very much for the information.  i will start to work on this tomorrow after a good nights sleep and i will report back.

tvlevy Newbie

so heres what i tried.  i went to the macintosh network settings on the home computer and assingned an address outside the dhcp range.  i picked 192.168.2.241  (my routers address is 192.168.2.1).  then i went to the router settings and changed the port forwarding on the slingbox settings on the slingbox in question - i have a second and my second a new solo is operating on 192.168.2.238 port 5002 just fine.  and restarted the router.

then i went to the slingbox setting and tried to use that address of 241.  i had been using 239 for the prohd with the freezing.  the slingbox settings said that address was in use and wouldnt let me assign that.  so i went back to the router and changed the dhcp range to 237 so the old sling address wouldnt be in the dhcp range and reset the router and no change.

am i missing a step in the setting a permanent ip address in the router before the port forwarding changes?  thanks for the help.

chakkarinen Apprentice

When you say you changed the network settings in your Macintosh, that implies to me that you assigned the IP addresss 192.168.1.241 to your MACINTONSH.   So, then when you logged in to your router and tried to assign the IP address 192.168.1.241 to your Slingbox, your router correctly replied: "no can do.  (since it had already assigned that IP address to your Macintosh.).

So, I would suggest that first, you go back into the network settings on your Macintosh and delete the static address, but instead choose the option that "automatically receives an IP address from the DHCP" (or so such wording -- it's been decades since I used a Mac, being a Windows person now almost exclusively).    Reboot the Mac so that it gets a new (different) IP address from the router.   Then log in again to the router and this time attempt to assign a static IP address to the Slingbox -- I believe you will have to type in the Media Access Control (aka MAC) address printed on the bottom of your Slingbox in the appropriate filed on the router's assignment window.   Since that "241" address might still be hung up in the router, choose another, such as 242.   Once the static address is assigned, then try to port forward a post such as 5001 or 5002 to that (new) static IP address assigned to the Slingbox.    Save everything in the router's assignment window, then power-cycle both the Slingbox and the router, and see if it works correctly after the two devices power back up and their lights "settle down".

tvlevy Newbie

i am out of town for ten days so wont be able to power the slingbox.  i can the router and the home computer.  also - on the iphone and the ipad the machine in question runs perfectly - but on the browser and the mac desktop software it freezes.  why is that?  thanks again and that was indeed what i did with 241.

tvlevy Newbie

so i looked at both slingboxes in the information tab in the settings.  both list their ip addresses as static.  one is 192.168.2.238 with port 5002 and the other is 192.168.2.239 with port 5003.  i found the part of the router that assigns static ip addresses and those two arent in the list.  i guess it cant do any harm to add them to the static list in the router right?

tvlevy Newbie

so i did the above making the existing addresses static and permanent in the router and it didnt seem to make a difference.

chakkarinen Apprentice

It certainly won't hurt the Slingbox or the router if your assign a static IP address to the Slingbox.   I've found that different routers have different instructions on how to set static IP addresses.   Some routers specifically state the static address must be OUTSIDE the range of dynamic addresses assigned by the router.   Others describe static addresses as "reserved addresses" and state that the assigned static address must be INSIDE the range of dynamic addresses assigned by the router.   Go figure.

My "logic" is that many of the problems that people have with logging in to their Slingbox using the Sling Player software when they are connecting from outside the network in which the Slingbox resides is due to the IP address having been changed by the router at some time since the address was registered in the Slingbox.com database of known, connected and activated Slingboxes.   So having the router assign a static IP address to the Slingbox should always eliminate that part of the problem -- if it indeed is the cause of the non-connectivity.

There are, of course, other reasons for non-connectivity -- some employers block all forms of streaming video activity from coming in to their network, due to the high amount of bandwidth it can consume.   And certainly types of software (or hardware?) firewalls may, by default, block access.   But I believe that one can define "exceptions" in most software firewall program settings to allow the Slingbox streaming signal through the firewall.

chakkarinen Apprentice

With regard to your experience with the Slingbox freezing whenever the speed of your internet service drops below a certain level, I believe that this could be related to what's know as a "Quality of Service" (QoS) setting in your router.  Other terms that routers use related to this are Wi-Fi Multi Media (WMM) or Multimedia Stream.   As best I understand (and I'm certainly no expert), these settings control the amount of bandwidth that each device will get when the total bandwidth is limited, so that every device gets a "fair shake".  You might check, when you are experiencing the freezing in your Slingbox, what the settings are for any of these 3 possibilities (usually the settings are "enable" or "disable"), and change them to the opposite setting from the one currently in effect, to see if it helps eliminate the temporary freeze-ups.

With my Sling Player software on my various computers, I find that video works fine so long as the streaming speeds are at least 300 kilobits per second uploading from the location of the Slingbox into the Internet. My ISP advertises that I have 1000 kilobits per second upload speeds, so this shouldn't ever be a problem.   And when I am using the Sling Player software for testing when I am within the local network where the Slingbox resides, I get speeds up to 8000 kilobits per second for the streaming, since the signal transfer is all occurring within the router and local area network and not sending anything out to the Internet world.

tvlevy Newbie

two points.  i have a solo and a prohd.  the solo streams perfectly.  even when the speedtest goes to 5mbs.  the prohd has stopped streaming properly and only fixes temporarily when someone goes to my house and resets its power.

but on the ipad and iphone the prohd streams perfectly with a beautiful picture all the time.  the good news is im using directv whole home so the dvr connected to the prohd is fine when its thru the other dvr and the solo.    makes no sense.

im going to poke around the router for the quality of service buttons.