3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2011 8:13 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Verizon HD box (QIP 7100) not on list of supported devices

billrubin

I have an SD TV on Verizon FiOS and had an SD STB, but I just upgraded to the QIP 7100 P2 yesterday because it turns out that it supports SD output as well (even HD channels, downscaled). I went to change my Slingbox Solo's configuration, but the 7100 is not listed as a supported box, so I left it at the QIP 2500 I had before. It still works OK, but it seems like I should be able to select the 7100. I understand that the Solo is not an HD unit, but the 7100 supports non-HD output so it should be a valid box choice.

• Re: Verizon HD box (QIP 7100) not on list of supported devices
          alanrichey42 Master

It still works OK, but it seems like I should be able to select the 7100. I understand that the Solo is not an HD unit, but the 7100 supports non-HD output so it should be a valid box choice.

Why ?    I am normally the first to criticise Sling over their remote control policy, but in this case I am with them

As far as I know there are probably over 30,000 different A/V devices on the market at the moment so Sling cannot possibly check them all.  And the selection choice is to setup the remote control, it has nothing to do with HD/SD.   So if there is already a working remote for your device surely it is better for Sling to work on devices for which there isn't a working remote ?

billrubin

If I had not been replacing a QIP 2500, I would not have known that I could use the same entry for the 7100. And I find it very hard to believe that they would not have an entry for the standard HD STB for Verizon FiOS. I think it is more a function of them not including it in the list of devices for the Solo, since they assume (incorrectly) that it will only be used for HD units, and the Solo is not HD. Does anyone know if it's on the list for Sling HD units?

Also, it IS prompting me for the box information when I configure the input. So from a user's point of view, it's not just looking for the remote.

alanrichey42 Master
                  If I had not been replacing a QIP 2500, I would not have known that I could use the same entry for the 7100.

Fair point, although a quick check on the forum would have told you to try all the QIP models.

I think it is more a function of them not including it in the list of devices for the Solo, since they assume (incorrectly) that it will only be used for HD units, and the Solo is not HD.

As far as I know the lists of manufactures and models are identical for ALL Slingbox models, although for some reason they differ by country.  As I said before HD/SD is not relevant in this instance.

Also, it IS prompting me for the box information when I configure the input. So from a user's point of view, it's not just looking for the remote.

Sorry, don't understand your logic.  Believe me, it is only asking for your device so it can download the correct IR remote codes to your Slingbox, nothing else.

Al