45 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2014 6:56 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Remote control for (belgacom) cis5020

skybern

I have a CIS5020 Scientific Atlanta and there s no way that i can make the "virtual" remote control work..

I tried  to use the sling remote control setup but it doesnt work...

Please someone can help me? Would be great..

thank you

Benny

• Re: Remote control for (belgacom) cis5020
          alanrichey42 Master

Check out this thread:  https://community.sling.com/thread/3300?tstart=0

Come back if it doesn't help.

Al

skybern

Hi Al

thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately it doesnt help..

I tried with few similar and did exactly what is written in the read me file.. but it doesnt work...

What can i do now?

Hope you can help cause without that i wont be able to use the box...

Thank you !

Regards

alanrichey42 Master
                  I tried with few similar and did exactly what is written in the read me file.. but it doesnt work...

If they were my Custom Remote Controls I guess you didn't read the README file properly   Particularly the bit that says:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have problems please do NOT just report back it 'doesn't work', that is totally useless for someone trying to understand what is going on.  So please report the following:

1.   Was there any error message after you typed in the Code and tapped the Power button ?

2.   Did you give the Power command plenty of time to react ?  (I have a DVR that takes about 6-8 seconds to power up/down)

3.   After completing the setup (regardless of whether the Power button worked) do any of the other buttons work ?

4.   Have you used a Digital Camera to confirm the IR Blaster is actually firing when you tap the Power button ?  (Watch the tip of the IR Blaster thorugh the viewfinder while you tap a button.  You should see a white (not red) flash)

5.   Have you experimented with the placement of the IR Blaster ?  On some devices this is critical so don't give up too quickly.

6.   If nothing works check out http://betaremotes.slingbox.com where you might be able to build your own remote.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So care to try again ?

skybern

Hi

Thank you for your answer.

I tried the betaremote and sometimes it works for 1 or 2 button but then it stops.

I can t go further...

There s no way that i can find one remote that will work on my box?

The problem is that im leaving the local place here today and i wont be back in the next months..

What can i do?

Thanks in advance !

skybern

I was able to make my own remote

It took me 2 hours cause it was lagging.

Now the problem is that there s only 1 button that works.. nothing else..

I cant use it..

??

thanks in advance

alanrichey42 Master
                            There s no way that i can find one remote that will work on my box?

Only the methods I have mentioned.   You never answered my question on why you couldn't use the Custom Remotes at the JP1 site.  Did none of them work ?

The problem is that im leaving the local place here today and i wont be back in the next months..

Doesn't matter, running the video input setup can be done remotely.

skybern

I found one on JP1

Thank you SO much Al..

Novice

Hi skybern,

Wondering if you can help. Which remote file did you use? I have a friend looking for the same remote.

dvvzf25

Hi Skybern,

Please share which one you have used in order to have it work with CIS5020.

Regards,

dv

skybern

The right one for me was this one: cisco-cis-430

It works perfectly

You ll find the file attached.

dvvzf25

Works like a charm. Thx a lot!

skybern

Avec plaisir

jonsen Newbie

Hi

I bought a Slingbox SOLO and got it working fine, EXCEPT for the virtual  remote.  There are many that are 'nearly there' but none that looks  like my remote. Also of the 30 or so remotes Ive tried NONE of them will  activate my PVR/DVR. Including the one above.

Does anybody know what I can do to sort this please.  The details of my  set top box are below.  Slingbox tech support couldnt help and gave me  this forum.  

Please could someone tell me how I can get this software that replicates the Belgacom remote and ALL its functions.

Thanks in advance
                                                      Jon

The ticket on the bottom says:-
                                                      Scientific Atlanta - a Cisco company
                                                      IPP430MC
                                                      Internet Protocol Set top Box
                                                      SD/HD with DVR
                                                      Rating 12V  2.5A
                                                      P/N 4011466  Date of mfg  11/08
                                                      HW Ver 1.0.0.0  SV ver 1.3.3.1 (Im sure this has been updated automatically)

There is another sticker,  

BGC TV Siemens
                                                      MPEG4HDD HD rental V3

alanrichey42 Master

I assume you have already done a proper Forum Search for your model number in case other people have already answered your question ?

If so and that didn't help then check out this thread:  https://community.sling.com/thread/3300?tstart=0

Come back if it that doesn't help either.

Al

jonsen Newbie

Hi Al

Yes I checked - I saw this page before. I even replied to a post on this subject - where someone said it works fine - but it doesnt, it doesnt  activate the PVR. (And looks completely different)

Hence 1) the post on the forum  and 2) the request for a new control.

I also spoke with Slingbox tech support who couldnt help, they didnt have the drivers either.

Every one of my friends in Belgium is a Belgacom customer with its TV/Internet/phone package. There must be millions of customers.  So I was surprised that there wasnt a fix.  Of course not all will want a Slingbox.

So I think I've been a good citizen

Regards

Jon

alanrichey42 Master

This is a bit confusing as you have posted in a thread about the CIS 5020 but appear to be talking about a completely different device.  I am working on you having a Scientific Atlanta IPP 430 MC.  Right ?

Yes I checked - I saw this page before. I even replied to a post on this subject - where someone said it works fine - but it doesnt, it doesnt  activate the PVR. (And looks completely different)

Ah, OK.  You obviously missed the bit that says "..... And PLEASE confirm in the body of the posting that you  have carried out all the above checks so I do not just redirect you back  to this post! ..." 

And ignore what it looks like that is not relevant to the IR codes.

Every one of my friends in Belgium is a Belgacom customer with its TV/Internet/phone package. There must be millions of customers.  So I was surprised that there wasnt a fix.  Of course not all will want a Slingbox.

OK, here is my first attempt.  And note I have put the PVR command on the White button.   Assuming this works we can then move on to try and get a realisitic image.

jonsen Newbie

Hi Al

Firstly thanks for the help.  I realise you are trying to help out people  with problems, probably doing it daily,  and it can be frustrating when a process is not  followed exactly. I'm just a customer that hoped I could set it up and go. Plug  and play isn't there yet for everybody.  I also hoped that my box was part of  the 10,000 remotes that Sling say are programmed.

However I am totally new to Slingbox, and spent the whole day messing with it  to get it to work, trying loads of remotes etc, and contacting tech support, TS.  They were nice but passed me through to the forums (fora?).  I searched for  Belgacom and found the thread - so posted there.  ( I reckon others will also do  the same)  I also made a new remote request as suggested by TS.

I also tried to put everything in my post as well - all the details, and yes  it was the IPP 430MC box on the sticker. If I wasn't perfect in the way I  posted, I'm sorry. I'm frustrated too. If you feel its better to start a new thread - happy to do so. We should include Belgacom and IPP430MC in the title.

Please refer to my last post and the postscript with all the details  pertaining to my box... attached again at the end of this.

Also the remote I am eventually using is  AT&T U-verse (Cisco) Scientific Atlanta 430. Its the  closest description.  This and many others work (mostly), don't look like my  remote, but work, with the exception of sending a signal to the PVR/DVR to  activate it.  The Arrow keys are a bit dodgy as well, and work but not all of  the time. Double clicking seems a way around this. Double clicking does NOT activate the recorder on the V-Remote. If you want I can email you  a photo of the remote.

Since a lot is there, and not being an expert  on this could it be possible to make a copy of this and then just activate the  PVR/DVR button? I'm sure thats 'easier said than done'.

I tried the fix you attached - thank you.  I followed the steps in the readme  doc and the link http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000320.html.   The screens for me aren't exactly as stated in the link, but I got there through  setup.  Setup, configure inputs, Video (composite video), RC setup (pick from  supported devices) (Cable TV box - Custom), Enter path:

I entered the hard disk  location of the .BIN file and the response is "Invalid custom bin file, click here for more help".  This link returned me to the Sling wep page I started with.

I entered the file location properly, even taking it from file properties, and tested  the location in 'my computer' address bar, and got straight to the file.

I watch remote tv   via the internet.

I hope this is enough to take this forward

Regards

Jon

The ticket on the bottom says:-
                                                                      Scientific Atlanta - a Cisco company 
                                                                      IPP430MC
                                                                      Internet Protocol Set top Box
                                                                      SD/HD with DVR
                                                                      Rating  12V  2.5A
                                                                      P/N 4011466  Date of mfg  11/08
                                                                      HW Ver 1.0.0.0  SV ver 1.3.3.1  (Im sure this has been updated automatically)

There is another  sticker,  

BGC TV Siemens
                                                                      MPEG4HDD HD rental V3

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                          Since a lot is there, and not being an expert  on this could it be possible to make a copy of this and then just activate the  PVR/DVR button? I'm sure thats 'easier said than done'.

Afraid so.  If it was that easy no-one would need me

I entered the hard disk  location of the .BIN file and the response is "Invalid custom bin file, click here for more help".  This link returned me to the Sling wep page I started with.

I entered the file location properly, even taking it from file properties, and tested  the location in 'my computer' address bar, and got straight to the file.

That is where we hit a brick wall.  That message definately means it is not seeing the BIN file in the location you are entering.  I try to make my life simple and put the file in the root directory, so then all I have to type in is C:\V2010_PL.BIN (for my Pro-HD) or C:\V2010_RV.BIN (for my UK Solo).   I assume you followed the instructions and tried both ? 

You haven't said what type of Slingbox you have, but if it is a Pro-HD it should use the _PL file and if it is a Solo then the _RV file.

Here is what I see when I do it:

Image1.jpg

Once I had typed the final 'N' of the filename in the 'IR Setup Code' changed from blank to 'V2010' I then tapped 'Test' and it all worked as advertised, showing the BIN code is OK.   So without physically being with you I have no idea what you are doing differently.

Al

jonsen Newbie

Thanks Al

Please note that I have a Solo (as mentioned previously)

OK I tried again and got the control up - a basic black box.  None of the major keys  worked, and I had custom 10-15. See image below.

I dont see the white button.

On your readme doc Custom 12 is VOD. I cant get this to come on either. (It does on the default controller I'm using AT&T U-verse (Cisco) Scientific Atlanta 430)

Regards

Jon

PS Whilst I am here with the expert....  I have an S-Video cable, it it worth using it, please?  I will want this to be truly plug and play however.

Sling VR1 0602.png

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                                  Please note that I have a Solo (as mentioned previously)

US-built or European ?   If you are not sure then click on the 'Options' button (top left of screen) and check the IR Blaster Version.   If it is 2 then you should be using the _PL file, if it is 4 then the _RV file.

OK I tried again and got the control up - a basic black box.  None of the major keys  worked, and I had custom 10-15. See image below.

Good.  Out of interest what were you doing wrong ?  Do I/Sling have to amend the instructions ?

However, you have still done something wrong as the BIN files I provided definately have Custom 10-19, not 10-15.   So I suspect you have installed the wrong file.   Do you have more than one copy ?

Just in case I have attached another copy of the files.   Make absolutely sure you delete all other copies and use the correct one of these.

I dont see the white button.

It's showing up as grey on yours, next to the blue button.  Again, that is another indication you have installed the wrong file.

On your readme doc Custom 12 is VOD. I cant get this to come on either. (It does on the default controller I'm using AT&T U-verse (Cisco) Scientific Atlanta 430)

Same reason

PS Whilst I am here with the expert....  I have an S-Video cable, it it worth using it, please?  I will want this to be truly plug and play however.

Makes absolutely no difference as to whether you use the Yellow (Composite) wire or an S-Video wire.  They are both of the same quality.  It just allows you to connect an additional device  (I have a security camera plugged into my S-Video slot)

jonsen Newbie

Hi Al

Firstly thanks for the help and the quick responses. I direct this next comment to the Slingbox senior management... NOT to you personally - you've been great and very responsive.

I think one should be careful with the word 'wrong'. As a customer what's 'wrong' for me is that I have to spend hours/days to get my Slingbox to work on the most common system in a major EU country! Even Slingbox say ''Creating a custom remote code file that you can use to control your video source isn't for the faint of heart. It takes a real geek (nerd?) with lots of patience.'

Shame that this is the case, Slingbox are not Euro-ready I think, if this 'patience'/polava is what it takes. But NOT your fault.

Back to the issue and moving forward..

1. I've never heard of a .bin file before and the only place I got it was in the zip file you sent above. Looking at the date of the file it is clearly downloaded 4/2. I searched my whole C drive and the only ones were these.
                                                                                      I use VLC media player and when I look at the file is has the VLC player icon next to it showing it as a VLC media file. Don't know if this is important (doubt it). See image.

2. I bought the SOLO from Amazon UK. And how's this ???... the IR blaster version is neither 2 nor 4 .... its 5!! See image

3 The RV file that you asked me to load before, gives exactly the same as before confirming I used the file you sent me.

4 OK I tried the PL file instead, and this loads up OK  and gave custom 10-20 NOT 10-19 that you mention above... weird eh??
                                                                                      HOWEVER it switches on the PVR! Well done!  The arrows work as well. Also retapping the grey button cancels the action (as on my physical remote).
                                                                                      Custom 12 switches on the VOD - but custom 18 does not bring back digital TV. Clicking again on Custom 12 doesnt cancel the command (as it does on my physical remote)

Thanks for the info on S-video, I am sure I read somewhere that this is a better connection and I ordered a cable. But with all this I am not going to 'fix something that's working!!' (i.e the A/V connection.)

You mention above:

"I have put the PVR command on the White button. Assuming this works we can then move on to try and get a realisitic image."

It would be worth this time and effort of others in Belgium with this box would be able to see it included in the setup of '10,000' remotes!!

Let's hope you can do your magic on that - I have attached a photo of the remote.

Thanks

Jon

PS had to retype all this as the forum went down... never ends!

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                                          can use to control your video source isn't for the faint of heart. It takes a real geek (nerd?) with lots of patience.'

Sounds like a perfect description of me

1. I've never heard of a .bin file before and the only place I got it was in the zip file you sent above. Looking at the date of the file it is clearly downloaded 4/2. I searched my whole C drive and the only ones were these.

I use VLC media player and when I look at the file is has the VLC player icon next to it showing it as a VLC media file. Don't know if this is important (doubt it). See image.

.bin is short for Binary, so any file that is just 1s & 0s will be descrided as a bin file.  As for the VLC bit, that has absolutely nothing doing to do with Sling or anything else.  But I might as well educate you (and anyone else reading this)   As you know when you double click on a file with a .doc extension it automatically opens in MSWord.  .xls  will automatically open in Excel, .txt will open in Notepad, .pdf will open in Adobe Reader.   This isn't magic, it;s quite simple.  Windows keeps track of a database with 2 columns.  The first column are all the possible extensions and the second column tells it which program to use to open it.   So, for example, when you install MSWord it tells that database that if a user double-clicks on a file with the .doc, .docx, .rtf...   extensions that it should open that file using MSWord.   And Windows shows you that by putting the little Word icon against the filename.  This is known in the trade as file 'association'  i.e.  the .doc extension is 'associated with MSWord.  Now, when you installed VLC, it told the system that, amongst other extensions, it wanted to 'adopt' the .bin extension.  So that is what is in the database and that is why you get the VLC icon against it.    I could write a program that when you installed it I would take control of the .bin extension and then my icon would be displayed.   If you go into Control Panel and select 'Default Programs' then  'Associate a file type or protocol to a specific program' you will see the list.  And if you scroill down to .bin you will see it is 'associated' with VLC.    If you want you can chnage it.   ANother way is to right-click on the BIN file and select 'Open With' and you will see that VLC is the default but you can chnage it.

Make sense ?    Although, as I said, it has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion

2. I bought the SOLO from Amazon UK. And how's this ???... the IR blaster version is neither 2 nor 4 .... its 5!! See image

3 The RV file that you asked me to load before, gives exactly the same as before confirming I used the file you sent me.

OK, thanks for that, I will have to change ALL my instructions.  I assume Sling have switched suppilers and now ALL Slingboxes are being fitted with the new JB IR Chip, which, as you have found is compatible with the PL BIN files.   I do wish they would tell us these things.

4 OK I tried the PL file instead, and this loads up OK  and gave custom 10-20 NOT 10-19 that you mention above... weird eh??

HOWEVER it switches on the PVR! Well done!  The arrows work as well. Also retapping the grey button cancels the action (as on my physical remote).
                                                                                          Custom 12 switches on the VOD - but custom 18 does not bring back digital TV. Clicking again on Custom 12 doesnt cancel the command (as it does on my physical remote)

No, my fault, I forgot I did the Custom 20, it is in a different area of the screen.   But that's good, we now have a fully working remote.

"I have put the PVR command on the White button. Assuming this works we can then move on to try and get a realisitic image."

It would be worth this time and effort of others in Belgium with this box would be able to see it included in the setup of '10,000' remotes!!

Let's hope you can do your magic on that - I have attached a photo of the remote.

Sling will not include it in the supported list just because I build it.  They have to go through their long-winded corporate procedure to do that.

It's going to take time to build the image so I'll get back to you.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I think I have it.   The only problem I can see is that Sling have disabled the 'Input' button on the image so I can't use that.  Is that a problem ?

The other unfortunate aspect is that you will have to install this using the old Desktop player as Sling decided to remove the option of uploading a realistic remote BIN file when they 'upgraded' to the web player.   But you only need to do this for the installation, after that it should appear OK in the web-player as well.   I've included all the instructions, although in your case you only need the _PL file as we have discussed.

jonsen Newbie

Hi Al

Thanks for the last 2 posts, and I understand that you are posting to a wide audience, so the information about file extensions was useful.  Thanks for taking the time to do that as well. I was sure that this would be no problem as mentioned, but its always better to give more info than less, I think.

Also thanks for coming up with a potential solution. Now that you have the info from Slingbox! crazy that they didn't tell you, I also had some doubts about their customer-communications process after my call to Tech Support.

I am preparing a trip tomorrow early to the UK and am a little tied up so there may be a delay, though I will try and do this before I go.

First though, as we are using Slingplayer 2.0 on my PC, and its a new installation, I want to reverse all the 'stuff' I've done after our discussions.  Ive noticed that there are some problems copying and also there are registry errors.

So I will system restore to Sunday, the day before I received the Solo - and then do the new load, of Slingplayer 2.0 so I have a 'brand spanking new' and clean installation   so that will also take a bit of time.

So if I go 'quiet' it's not through lack of appreciation, just a lot of other things to do.

'Speak' soon

Jon

alanrichey42 Master

No problem, good luck

jonsen Newbie

Blimey..... I couldnt restore. And there was a startup issue as well. Something has happened since I started this I 'felt' something was wrong.

Had to spend a lot of time till I could get a restore. The never ending story!

Will try the virtual remote in a few days time when I am free

Thanks again, will update you asap.

Jon

jonsen Newbie

Hi Al

After a few hours of messing with my PC - I thought '...what the hel l, go all the way, end this.... ' and I followed your instructions.

Notes

1. For security reasons I have an administrator account which I rarely use, and the one I use daily is a separate account.  For this installation I installed the player via my daily account... but I HAD to log off and open my admin account to copy the file...... for some reason even with the admin p/word it would NOT copy over, image below.

2.  However I sorted it by going into my admin account directly to copy the file and then going back to my daily account to do the rest.

I mention this only to help others if they hit this issue.

3 In the test of the control power off/on.... it  powered off but not back on again. Even with a double click. But I continued anyway and accepted  the remote.

4. Once the remote was up, it looked EXACTLY like the Belgacom remote THANK YOU.....

5. On the Virtual remote everything I tried worked!! Some keys like PVR and Power on needed a double click.  Dont know why most take a single click, but its not a problem.

6 Its been a marathon - but in the end we have gotten there - what superlatives can I use, Al for your work....

Give that man a cigar

Wonderful job

This is the private bits of a dog...   (English humour)

And many others, THANK YOU AL for this fix.  I am sure other Belgacom users will also appreciate this fix.

The real testing will be when I travel and actually use the slingbox remotely - i.e real life testing - and I hope I can contact you should a problem arise that I hadnt thought about in this home test..... it may be a while before we travel....

Once again - from Belgium - .......Merci ..... Dank u wel

Jon

alanrichey42 Master

Good, glad we got there in the end

5. On the Virtual remote everything I tried worked!! Some keys like PVR and Power-ON needed a double click.  Dont know why most take a single click, but its not a problem.

Odd, we normally get the opposite complaint, that a single press causes multiple jumps.  You might try adjusting the placement of the IR Blaster in case your box isn't getting the full signal.

The real testing will be when I travel and actually use the slingbox remotely - i.e real life testing - and I hope I can contact you should a problem arise that I hadnt thought about in this home test

You can, of course,  but bear in mind that while I am the world's leading expert on virtual remotes I know absolutely nothing about the rest of the technical stuff.

I'll upload it at the weekend with all the othere remotes I have built this week.

Cheers

Al

jonsen Newbie

Hi Al

Been using the slingbox SOLO for a while now.....

I have to double click sometimes, depending on where I am in the menu.  But I can live with that, on other screens 1 click does it.

I have some problems getting a clear picture - my upload speed at home is >600KBS and donload speed is over 2Mbs over here. So I dont know what it is, when it works fine I am happy with the picture.

On roaming I have been in some bad areas where I get the message saying reception is bad with frames missing

Is there a way to download the thing I have recorded on the Slingbox, and then watch it later? Say hypothetically a 1 hour programme takes 1.5 hrs to download - I'll be OK with that knowing I will watch it later in good quality - no frame losses. Is there a way to do this please?

Thanks again for the help.

Jon

PS I heard a good tip..... put the slingbox power on a time switch.  Every night say 3am when asleep, it switches it off for say 15 mins and resets it.  I have had to have a friend go over and do it ..... till I heard this

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                                                                        I have to double click sometimes, depending on where I am in the menu.  But I can live with that, on other screens 1 click does it.

After checking through this thread I haven't got a clue which remote you are now using.  If you tell me I might be able to help.

As to the rest of it I will leave that to someone else,  I only know about remotes, the rest is a mystery 

jonsen Newbie

Hi Al

All details are in this thread.. but I am happy with the remote.

I was hoping that there was a way to download stuff, ALREADY RECORDED on the PVR and then watch it in good quality - where internet speed is a problem.

But if you are not experienced or knowledgeable with that I understand... thank you for the help previously - you created a great remote for me and all Belgacom customers

If anyome is reading this and know of a way to do this please let me know.

Thanks

Jon

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                                                                                All details are in this thread.. but I am happy with the remote.

OK, I thought you said you were getting a 'double-skip'.  I just meant I can fix that if I know EXACTLY which file you are using.

jonsen Newbie

Hi Al

For the remote you set up for me full details on this thread, the 'back' button is not activated.  This is now being used with the upgraded software from Belgacom.  Without it I cant use the slingbox properly as it gets stuck on certain menus and I cant get out, at home I simply press the BACK button on the physical remote.to nove out of the menu.

Please can you activate this?

Note since we set up the remote, I have changed PC and I can watch TV from the internet and the remote automatically shows up.  I dont think I used the .BIN file I had to use previously.  The new slingbox software automatically loads the right remote... and I log in and watch TV on an internet window.

Please can you activate the BACK button.

Thanks

Jon

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                                                                                        For the remote you set up for me full details on this thread, the 'back' button is not activated.  This is now being used with the upgraded software from Belgacom.  Without it I cant use the slingbox properly as it gets stuck on certain menus and I cant get out, at home I simply press the BACK button on the physical remote.to nove out of the menu.

Please can you activate this?

I'm still waiting for you tell me what BIN file you are using.   You never answered before.

Note since we set up the remote, I have changed PC and I can watch TV from the internet and the remote automatically shows up.  I dont think I used the .BIN file I had to use previously.  The new slingbox software automatically loads the right remote... and I log in and watch TV on an internet window.

No, you misunderstand how this works.   When you installed the BIN file it was downloaded to the Slingbox.  So ALL viewing systems will use it, including your new PC.

jonsen Newbie

Hi Al

As mentioned in the thread I used the V2010_PL. I sent you a photo of my remote as well on the thread  that you used and comes up when I click on the virtual remote with the buttons activated. You can see this on the post Feb 06 2013.

I didn't reply before as the problem wasn't bad.... now I am stuck without the BACK button activated.  I hope this can be sorted and thanks for the prompt response

Jon

alanrichey42 Master

Wow, this is like getting blood from a stone    The V2010 is irrelvant.  I use that code for ALL my custom remotes, there are over 600 of them around, all different.

I either need the EXACT URL where I can download it, or you can post it here.

jonsen Newbie

Hi Al

I am not a techie, as I've mentioned: I don't know what you want.  I got all the info from THIS THREAD and have mentioned the date of the post as well.  The files I got from your post of feb 06 2013 05:16AM. I've downloaded it again on my new PC, for the first time, in order to attach it here – pls see attachment.

You then used my photo of the actual remote and activated the buttons on it.  Details in the post following the one above 06/06/13  11:30 AM.

So I don't know what you want, other than what you have already (kindly) shared with me on THIS thread.  Perhaps if you scroll up to early Feb and scan through the posts you will see what you gave me to fix the problem – and hence what YOU really need?  The info you need has to be here as its the only source of info I used for this particular problem.....

Am I missing something?

Thanks again for the prompt responses – really great!

Jon

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I 'think' I have figured it out eventually.  I'll gloss over the problems caused by you hijacking someone else's thread, so we are talking about a different device, but there were still 3 different BIN files we tried.   We appear to have finished up with 2 working BIN files.  A V2010_PL.BIN file that uses the default image and an S1320_PL.BIN file that shows the correct image.   But based on your posting you appear to be using the one with the default image ?

On this one the 'Back' function is there, but is mapped to the 'Last Channel' button (left of the zero), rather then the Exit button.   Does that not work ?

jonsen Newbie

Blimey AL, on one hand you are obviously an expert and very responsive, on the other you appear to get quite petulant. What the **** have I done wrong ‘hijacking’?? You were helpful and responsive to my problems and I thanked you profusely on this thread. You NEVER mentioned that I had done something wrong - in all the discussions before, and to maintain continuity I have now continued on this thread.   Also when I started last year, I searched for Belgacom, my provider, and felt it was appropriate to continue the discussions there.  Had I broken some sort of ‘rule’ (that I didn't know) of ‘posting-etiquette’, I would immediately have apologised – back then when I started. Not now.

I am not technical, just a normal customer trying to get my box to work.  Thanks to you I have been able to use it, although it is not a trivial task to programme the box – when it is not one of the ‘thousands’ that Sling have preconfigured. Certainly if you aren't very technical.

I’m sorry that you have to deal with non-techies like me, but I don't understand your question below.  So I hope this screen shot will show you the problem.  I have opened a series recorded on the box and want to exit.  I cant do it now and am stuck on this menu, as I am in another country.  The only way is to delete ALL the recorded programmes.  My box is locked out now if I want to watch my recordings. However I can get to live TV.  If I then try to go back to recordings then I see this same screen, again, attached, with the programmes in the series.  

With a BACK button working (not greyed out like mine) I have full control again.  Luckily I can call someone at home and have them reset with the back button on the physical remote.

I hope this screenshot helps....

Im not trying to be a pain in the rear, just get my product working – and I know I am dealing with the right expert to make it happen.

I hope this screenshot helps

Jon

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                                                                                                                Blimey AL, on one hand you are obviously an expert and very responsive, on the other you appear to get quite petulant. What the **** have I done wrong ‘hijacking’?? You NEVER mentioned that I had done something wrong -

Yes I did, see Post #17, where I said "..This is a bit confusing as you have posted in a thread about the CIS  5020 but appear to be talking about a completely different device.  I am  working on you having a Scientific Atlanta IPP 430 MC. ..."

What you should have done is open a new thread with the proper device model number.

And I apologise for being petulant, but you were driving me up the wall by not telling me what I needed to know and then confusing me completely by referring to the wrong BIN file (V2010, which uses the default remote image) when you were actually using S1320, which shows the correct control.  Incredibly frustrating, as I was having to spend a long time trying to figure out exactly what you meant and what you were doing.

I’m sorry that you have to deal with non-techies like me, but I don't understand your question below.  So I hope this screen shot will show you the problem.

Yes, that what showed me you are using S1320 and NOT V2010 as you had said.  My question was relevant to the V2010 file (which has a dedicated 'Back' button) not the S1320 file (which maps the 'Back' function to a different code).

With a BACK button working (not greyed out like mine) I have full control again.  Luckily I can call someone at home and have them reset with the back button on the physical remote.

OK, here are a new pair of files.  The S1320 should still give the right image with the Back button now enabled.  And although the V2010 correctly has the Back function mapped to the 'Last' button on the default remote, I have also added it to the Exit button.

Use the newer instructions at http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/forum/sling-player-remotes/how-to-add-custom-remote-bin-files-on-slingboxes-other-than-the-350500-1/

Better ?

jonsen Newbie

OK... The steps were not exactly as in the document, and I didn't need the file, to be saved etc.  The ‘Belgacom (satellite)’ came up immediately as my device – so nothing to select and I went straight to the ‘test the remote page’  and the back button was working fine. So I suppose you put it on a server somewhere (or something) and so I didn't need to use the file you attached before and enter the path in the setup. I suppose it automatically updated and the BACK button is now working... THANK YOU AL.  Once again you provide 1) a prompt and 2) expert service. This is a HUGE part of good customer service... but not all.

Re the discussion. We are both frustrated. Using your ‘authority’, on the thread you publically criticised me for ‘highjacking’ the thread, then ‘magnanimously’ said you would gloss over this awful error I made. Even in your reply is  telling me what I ‘should have’ done is start a new thread.  Hindsight is 20:20 and may I suggest that if this ever comes up again you use this authority and advise at the START for the poster to start a new thread. I would not have hesitated to do that had I known I had broken some rule of yours.   Quoting you, quoting yourself ‘This is a bit confusing as you have posted in a thread about the CIS  5020 but appear to be talking about a completely different device.  I am  working on you having a Scientific Atlanta IPP 430 MC. ..."  I have to tell you that this is not at all for me a non-techie, an indication to start a new thread! Even now! Best to just say it straight, I suggest.  That’s why I wont apologise – nor accept that I highjacked or did something/anything bad to anyone.  I believe the criticism that I hijacked something – but you would allow to gloss it over, was unnecessary.

I couldn't understand why simply scrolling up a couple of pages and reading the steps YOU told me to do with files YOU gave me (last year) – should not have given you an answer, far better than one coming from me.  I told you the dates of the posts.  Another reason to reuse the thread that we had worked on last year – for continuity. Also if I remember correctly I actually DID use the 2010 file to check function ... then after sending you a photo  of my remote... you then translated it to the photo perfect remote that you very kindly made for me.

I have to believe that the Sling corporation created this box to cover the needs of the ‘mass market’ of people wanting remote access to TV.  That means they have to deal with a wide range of people, many of whom (I would suggest) are not as PC literate as others. Thus customer service needs to flex to meet the needs of all customers. As confused as I am about all this... at least I am not the person who  thought the CD tray on the PC was a cup holder!!! 

We can agree to disagree – but it doesn't change the fact that you’ve helped me out again, very quickly.  I never want to frustrate anyone – especially those that are trying to help and do it quickly, I promise you that this was never my intention.

Thanks again for the help and for fixing the remote.

Jon

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                                                                                                                        OK... The steps were not exactly as in the document, and I didn't need the file, to be saved etc.  The ‘Belgacom (satellite)’ came up immediately as my device – so nothing to select and I went straight to the ‘test the remote page’  and the back button was working fine. So I suppose you put it on a server somewhere (or something) and so I didn't need to use the file you attached before and enter the path in the setup. I suppose it automatically updated and the BACK button is now working... THANK YOU AL.  Once again you provide 1) a prompt and 2) expert service. This is a HUGE part of good customer service... but not all.

Absolutely nothing to do with me.   I can only assume that in the period since we last discussed it Sling have updated their database to add that remote.  And I am not connected to Sling in any way so cannot take the credit.  

That’s why I wont apologise – nor accept that I highjacked or did something/anything bad to anyone.  I believe the criticism that I hijacked something – but you would allow to gloss it over, was unnecessary.

I wasn't asking for an apology.  I was trying to educate you over forum etiquette.   The whole point of this is that if another user wants to see any discussions about the IPP 430 then any forum search would never find this thread.

And in my defence, remember I am currently helping out about 5-6 users a week with various remote controls.  To expect me to remember all the nuances of a discussion I had with someone 9 months ago is totally unrealistic.  And as just an ordinary user who is simply trying to help other users when Sling are ignoring them, I reserve the right to occasionally lose my temper

Anyway, all's well that ends well

Cheers

Al

jonsen Newbie

Hi Al

Looks like if we both knew there was an updated ‘RC Driver’ we could have saved a lot of time! Thanks for your help again – I’m guessing you did some programming stuff to give me the back button, therefore used up your time. When there was already a solution.  I cant comment on communication from Sling but the forum is one way they have to ‘spread the word’ and give support – and so I would have expected some better communication from them.  But I have no idea how this part works.

Looks like we both tried to educate each other!  I hope you have at least taken my comments on board and will consider them should a similar problem arise in the future - as I stand by them.

I realise you don't work for Sling, but I thought there was some arrangement – but you said   ‘I am not connected to Sling in any way ‘.  If you are doing all this out of kindness and in your spare time, with no commercial gain, then I am doubly grateful for your help.  If so, and even though you don't ask for one,  I apologise for any negativity we had.

All the best, if you are ever in Brussels – we have a large selection of beers, that I will gladly offer you a couple

Jon

jonsen Newbie

Hi Al

Sorry forgot to mention the button to the left of zero doesnt replicate the back button.

I hope the screenshot and the posts around early February has all the info you need, as it was here that I took info to make the box work. If you need me to search for files folders etc, then please let me know and I will try and find them.  I am remote from the box for the next 2 weeks – so hope we can do this without me needing to be physically next to the box.

The file you mentioned below, is saved in a folder and is attached.

Thanks

Jon