6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2012 8:02 PM by tcaradonna RSS

installing Slingbox Pro HD in Japan

Yujin2u

does anyone know if I can use the Slingbox Pro HD you might buy at Best Buy anywhere in the states, in Japan?

Does it work?  Is it supported?

thanks

• Re: installing Slingbox Pro HD in Japan
          Apprentice

Hi Yujin2u, if you are interested in get a Slingbox in Japan feel free to access our Japanese website below:

Slingbox.com Japan

Regards.

Yujin2u

I know I can buy myself one in Japan but My brother in L.A. is planning to buy it for me as a present .   So do i tell him no it doesnt work and that its not supported?

thanks

Yuji

Apprentice

Hi  Yujin2u, if you take the Slingbox from US to Japan it may work just fine, however the support for this unit in this country is limited, you may want to consider purchase the Slingbox directly in Japan, here is our Japanese web site:

http://www.slingbox.jp/

Regards.

chakkarinen Apprentice

Be also aware that standard home electrical voltage in Japan is 100 volts, while in the USA it is 110-120 volts.   The frequency of home electricity in the USA is 60 cycles per second, while in eastern Japan it is 50 cycles per second and in western Japan it is 60 cycles per second.   Given these differences, it probably would be better to purchase a Slingbox for use in Japan within Japan, as they would then have the appropriate voltage and frequency for your planned area of usage.

tatsuaki

Hi Yujin2u,

I am currently using the first generation of Slingbox (Classic) I bought in US and set it up in Saitama Japan (more tha 5 years ago I guess). It's connected to the traditional analog cable outlet and I am watching from US.

The AC adapter came with the US model of Slingbox is working (but broke twice. I had to order new one from SlingMedia US, $19.99). I am shutting off the Slingbox every night for couple of hours using a timer because my Slingbox sometimes goes wrong (and to protect the AC adapter).

Even after they stop analog signal in July 2011, it is said the cable company (JCOM) continues converting digital to analog until 2015.

tcaradonna Novice

In case anyone cares, this situation has changed.  There is no longer an analog signal.  You need a digital converter box.  I use the Toshiba D-TR1 which also serves as a DVR.  They may not sell this model anymore, but there are lots of others to choose from.  (See amazon.co.jp)  I use a $15 cable that goes from the tuner D-terminal to the slingbox component in.  I don't think the slingbox channel guide works in Japan, but many of the digital tuners have them built in.   Check out this website for good discussions in japan.  http://slingboxfan.com/